Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Retiring Griffey's Uniform Number-Which One?

Retiring Griffey's Uniform Number-Which One?

Just something to think about. When it's all said and done, the Reds will likely retire Ken Griffey Jr.'s number, but which one do they end up retiring in honor of him, #3 or #30?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Retiring Griffey's Uniform Number-Which One?

No offense to Griffey, but why would they retire his jersey?

Maybe a case could be made for 30 due to the combined Griffey contributions.
    Almost no matter what he does, the majority of his accomplishments will be with the Mariners.
    It'd be like the Reds retiring Tom Seavers number.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I agree, I think he's gotta go to the HOF as a Mariner. I think the M's retire 24, not us retire any #

If Junior passes Ruth, and I think he will, his number, one of them, will be retired.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I would love to see Junior pass Babe Ruth, but unless he does, he honestly wouldn't have done enough in a Reds uniform to get his number retired. If he were to pass Ruth, then you'd have to seriously consider it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Depends on what happens with 3, but 30 doesn't deserve it.
    Go Gators!

I think raising up #30 with just "Griffey" could be a cool idea at some point down the line for both Sr. and Jr. However, I don't see him getting his number retired unless he hits a bunch more homers and/or leads the Reds to a World Series.

Turn Off Ads?