Turn Off Ads?

Thread: David Ross's Role

David Ross's Role

Now that Larue is coming back soon, I have a couple of questions about how Ross has been used by Narron thus far.

Ross has started four games - both of Arroyo and Milton's starts. Of course, those two pitchers have a combined 4-0 record, with a combined 2.25 ERA. Is it just coincidence, or has Narron been using Ross as the designated catcher for those two guys?

Ross was acquired mainly for his game-calling skills, and since Narron is a former catcher, and since Arroyo and Milton are off to such good starts, do you think he'll keep Ross around, and continue to use him this way at the expense of playing time for Larue and Valentin?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: David Ross's Role

Quote Originally Posted by vermonter
    Ross was acquired mainly for his game-calling skills, and since Narron is a former catcher, and since Arroyo and Milton are off to such good starts, do you think he'll keep Ross around, and continue to use him this way at the expense of playing time for Larue and Valentin?
    Hopefully, Valetin will get some of Hattebergs starts at 1st when LaRue gets back. I'd rather have Valetin at 1B and Ross or LaRue catching then Hatteberg starting consistently
    Matta = Really good

1Wildcat1

During one of the games Krivsky was on TV saying as a reason for keeping so many catchers that maybe one of the pitchers liked pitching to a certain catcher. I have a feeling it is Arroyo pitching to Ross. I would trade LaRue or Valentin and keep Ross even with his poor hitting.

The offense certainly can survive with a catcher who maybe doesn't hit that well if he's solid defensively.

I concur with the assessment that Valentin should start getting some of the playing time at 1st, then LaRue and Ross are the catchers usually.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Can he be stopped?

Agreed... he has made some nice defensive plays, and depite earlier disbelief, there is a striking difference in plate D when he is in rather that when JV is in. JV has not been spectacular behind the plate so far... If LaRue still gets traded, i would not mind. I hope he starts tearing up in rehab so he has value.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Quote Originally Posted by vermonter
    Now that Larue is coming back soon, I have a couple of questions about how Ross has been used by Narron thus far.
    The reason Larue isn't back is that the GM can't figure out what to do. Ross isn't that good.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    The reason Larue isn't back is that the GM can't figure out what to do. Ross isn't that good.
    He's fine. Use Valentin off the bench and Ross as the second catcher. Can use Javy at first if you want.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Valentin is prime trade bait. I think he is reaching his level; average behind the plate, pretty good hitter left handed. I fear if they hold him too long he may lose value.

Valentin, Belisle and a minor leaguer for bullpen help.

I think Valentin or Larue are on the move. its a luxury that has to be used on the trade market.

Turn Off Ads?