Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

...and for a reason that's not obvious either.

The Thinking of You, Todd thread.

And it was closed...why?

It's in the non-baseball chatter area. I don't get it. And it's not the first time a fun and entertaining thread got whacked without explanation or what seems like a good reason. It seems like some people just like closing thread that they don't personally like. It's bogus.

Don't thump me, Paint...I;m just sayin'.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

You could have just PM'ed paint and asked instead of starting a new thread to whine about it.

Whenever a thread is closed I always assume it was Mary Poppins who did it, because Mary Poppins always knew what was best for the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    You could have just PM'ed paint and asked instead of starting a new thread to whine about it.
    Right...'cause we'd rather not discuss things...publicly?

OK.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

It's a legitimate question, not whining. Your characterization, as such, comes across as condesending. Why go behind closed doors? What's to be afraid of? The mods are here to serve the constituency because, without them, there is no board. If a constituent has a question it's fair game to bring it to the attention of all that participate.

Rem

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

I was wondering the same thing max venable was. There didn't appear to be any reason to close the thread. Better than 20 of us sending a PM to the mod, maybe we can get an answer this way.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

I give my point of view from another point of view:
    In my eyes, the thread had become repetative, a bit spamish, and had long outlived its usefulness. Some threads naturally have short shelf lives and are destined for the clamp.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It was the strangest thread I'd ever seen. Loved it.

Man Pills

I paid no attention to the thread, but maybe it was because it was taking up space? I don't know, just a thought.

It was 32 posts. The last game thread was over 750 posts. How much effort is it for a mod to say, 'I'm going to close this thread if it doesn't get back on topic....' or, 'I closed this thread because....'?

Closing it simply because one mod feels like it and just slams it shut without explaination is flat out rude and discourtious to the members that are interested in that thread.

Rem

Was anyone really interested in that thread?

80% of the posts were NM
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Was anyone really interested in that thread?

80% of the posts were NM
    I thought it was funny, and could have been classic.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If it isn't hurting anyone, why not let people enjoy themselves?

If you don't find it humorous or interesting... don't read it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    I give my point of view from another point of view:
    In my eyes, the thread had become repetative, a bit spamish, and had long outlived its usefulness. Some threads naturally have short shelf lives and are destined for the clamp.
    That sums it up well.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I think people get too mod-happy on message boards. Anytime anyone posts a link to something that belongs to them, it's considered spam. The term spam should be reserved for those posters who sign up, post once, and then leave forever. If a contributive member wants to share a link of his that pertains to the Cincinnati Reds I think he should, even if it is an eBay auction. Some people buy Reds stuff on eBay and would appreciate that kind of link.

Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind closing that other thread. Was it stupid? Yeah. But since when does a thread have to be serious or life changing in order to exist? People were having fun being silly, why turn the water hose off on the kids when they are having fun playing in the yard? Beyond just that, no one came forward to why it was closed. They waited until another poster came up with a decent reason and just quoted it and said "Yeah, that there is why I did it".

In summation, don't be mod-happy. Closing a lame thread about the initials NM won't keep us any safer from the dreaded religious and political threads or evil spams.

Turn Off Ads?