Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

Re: Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

I wish the mods would close down Pujols. Just hit number two today.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I support the mods, especially if they close Pujols down
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Apparently...they can't.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    AND THEN...my "Holy Grail of Reds memorabilia" thread gets shut down. Mod who closed it says I was spamming you all with it. Here's what I PMed the mod who closed it (and edited my posts):
    I hate the idea of missing out on getting to check out something as cool as that in the future.

Several months ago a RZ'er posted a thread about some old Pete Rose and JB SI's that they were looking to sell. I was fortunate enough to purchase them and they're now framed and proudly displayed...

Things like Max's auction and those SI's should be brought to the attention of RZ'ers, definitely not labeled as spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Someone should create an "Albert Pujols" account so that we can all just neg it into oblivion whenever we get frustrated.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

So the "10" thread has been closed. Here's what the mod said:

This thread is way off topic and has served it's purpose. Time to end it.
    Time to end it...that right...because ONE person wants to close it. Okay...doesn't matter that others are enjoying it. Doesn't matter that it's in the "noon-baseball chatter" part of the site.

I am MODERATOR...hear me roar!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Albert Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Someone should create an "Albert Pujols" account so that we can all just neg it into oblivion whenever we get frustrated.
    :

It was a spam thread, those get closed down, even if they are fun.

Have fun in other threads
    Go Gators!

But the question then becomes, as soon as a thread becomes "fun", is it going to be closed simply because it may have veered off topic, even if it isn't trolling or bashing of other posters or beating subjects to death?

On April 1, one poster posted something like 10 or so threads on the non-baseball forum, all of which were articles from the Weekly World News. This is the definition of spam, and yet not a single one of those threads was locked or removed, even though they created little discussion.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

It was a spam thread, those get closed down, even if they are fun.

Well, here's a rhetorical question for you: shouldn't 40,000+ posts be considered spam? Especially since the poster seems to think he is having 'fun'.

Rem

Im shocked that this thread hasnt been closed yet.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Im shocked that this thread hasnt been closed yet.
    I don't think this thread is particularly inflammatory, but dissension isn't always bad.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

I'll just throw in a couple of observations which hold true for not only RedZone, but other sites:

Moderators are people.
    People are prone to mistakes and their own opinions.
    When a moderator makes a mistake or expresses their opinion, it is not the end of the world.
    This is a website - the lives, workplace heiarchy and so forth is completely irrelevent in the cyber world.
    This is Boss' and GIK's website - our opinions and views are thanks to their work.
    If a moderator does wrong, in the end it is up to Boss or GIK to correct this, not the rest of the community.
    The rest of the community does have a right to complain, but once again in the end (see above for the rest).
    Users on a website are people - people tend to disagree with each other. We are allowed to disagree. But, we are also allowed to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    On April 1, one poster posted something like 10 or so threads on the non-baseball forum, all of which were articles from the Weekly World News. This is the definition of spam, and yet not a single one of those threads was locked or removed, even though they created little discussion.
    They were not locked, but I did tell the poster to stop - and he did.

So why the different responses? It's actually quite simple: threads that veer off topic have a large amount of inertia to fight if I try to get them back on topic. It's easier to change the mind of one poster via warning than it is a dozen. I've tried it many times before - trust me, it falls on deaf ears. In the threads mentioned by sava, I was only dealing with one poster. There's a fundamental difference between the two situations and as a result, I handled them differently.

Believe me, I wish this moderating thing was as cut and dry as you all believe it to be. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it was.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-16-2006 at 08:42 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    So the "10" thread has been closed. Here's what the mod said:

Time to end it...that right...because ONE person wants to close it. Okay...doesn't matter that others are enjoying it. Doesn't matter that it's in the "noon-baseball chatter" part of the site.

I am MODERATOR...hear me roar!
    This isn't just about people "enjoying" a thread. It takes precious bandwidth to run this site, and these threads that gather up 5,000+ replies eat up the bandwidth and slow the board down.

Do you want to come here and have to wait forever for the pages to load? I don't, and I speak from experience as it was my thread that started this whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?