Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

Re: Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Well, here's a rhetorical question for you: shouldn't 40,000+ posts be considered spam? Especially since the poster seems to think he is having 'fun'.

Rem
    Weren't you one of the chief people calling for certain threads to be closed down because they didn't have anything to do with the Reds?

How are those threads (at least the ones over here) different?
    Last edited by KronoRed; 04-16-2006 at 09:17 PM.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

If a thread has outlived its usefulness it will fall off the first page. If it isn't violating rules then it shouldn't be locked.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    If a thread has outlived its usefulness it will fall off the first page. If it isn't violating rules then it shouldn't be locked.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    AND THEN...my "Holy Grail of Reds memorabilia" thread gets shut down. Mod who closed it says I was spamming you all with it. Here's what I PMed the mod who closed it (and edited my posts):
    I think a blanket policy needs to be taken on threads linking to Ebay. There is currently another thread linking to an Ebay auction in Redslive where the thread starter is clearly not the seller. If I had my thread shut down then I would be upset why another thread linking to Ebay was allowed. All it would take is someone to start a thread and claim to not be the seller. How would anyone know otherwise unless the Ebay and Redszone nicknames were the same?

The mods need to get together and decide which types of Ebay threads to allow. I can see why they wouldn't want to allow a thread for people personally selling items. If they allow the Holy Grail thread (as a recent example) then I could put up a thread in the non-baseball section advertising my selling of old pairs of shoes (for example).

I think that a sensible policy would be to allow all threads linking to interesting, worthwhile Reds related Ebay auctions to be allowed. I know that I post on Dave Matthews Band message boards and this is the policy they take. For example, I think the only Ebay related threads allowed should be ones linked to extraordinary items such as valuable autographs or rare collectibles, not everyday baseball cards.

I'm pretty neutral on the topic, but if I had been the one to have my thread closed and then see another thread allowed, I would be upset. I think if there is a policy in place, there would be no discussion on thread closings and everyone would be treated the exact same.

You could have a sticked thread for Ebay/other auction site items, so it wouldn't lead to a bunch of "Ebay topics" in the forum (if that's the worry)
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    The mods need to get together and decide which types of Ebay threads to allow.
    We are discussing the policy as you post this.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

"Don't Thread on Me"

or rather
    Time for Fun Facts...

Don't Tread on Me Flag (Gadsden Flag)

First flown aboard a Colonial Troop ship on January 4th, 1776

This was the flag of the American Colonies at the time of the American Revolution against England.

It features a rattlesnake above the warning, "DON'T TREAD ON ME". The rattlesnake had become a traditional symbol of the American Colonies. The most obvious reason for this is that the rattlesnake was only found in the American Colonies (and in abundance, to the dismay of settlers) and nowhere else in the world. The origin of the slogan (Don't Tread On Me) pertains to the snake's deadly strike and the idea that it is best to leave them alone.

The snake on the flag is also roughly arranged in the shape of the American Colonies with the tip of the tail being the Florida peninsula and the head being New England.
    In summary, it's sometimes best to leave some threads alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    I think a blanket policy needs to be taken on threads linking to Ebay. There is currently another thread linking to an Ebay auction in Redslive where the thread starter is clearly not the seller. If I had my thread shut down then I would be upset why another thread linking to Ebay was allowed. All it would take is someone to start a thread and claim to not be the seller. How would anyone know otherwise unless the Ebay and Redszone nicknames were the same?

The mods need to get together and decide which types of Ebay threads to allow. I can see why they wouldn't want to allow a thread for people personally selling items. If they allow the Holy Grail thread (as a recent example) then I could put up a thread in the non-baseball section advertising my selling of old pairs of shoes (for example).

I think that a sensible policy would be to allow all threads linking to interesting, worthwhile Reds related Ebay auctions to be allowed. I know that I post on Dave Matthews Band message boards and this is the policy they take. For example, I think the only Ebay related threads allowed should be ones linked to extraordinary items such as valuable autographs or rare collectibles, not everyday baseball cards.

I'm pretty neutral on the topic, but if I had been the one to have my thread closed and then see another thread allowed, I would be upset. I think if there is a policy in place, there would be no discussion on thread closings and everyone would be treated the exact same.

In the past, I've started posts on the non-baseball forum about ebay auctions of odd, strange or just flat out weird auctions. For example, like the woman who was auctioning off getting a tatoo advertising for a company on her face.

There comes a point when too many rules regulating forums becomes too much.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

My question is this: If threads get closed because they are repetitive, cluttering and already served it's purpose, then why do the 10 threads that pop up every day about how "Marty sucks" or "George Grande sucks" stay open?

It's ok to continue to beat dead horses (and I do mean BEAT) just because it's the fashionalbe thing to do, but if a fun thread gets even the slightest big off topic it's closed??

I don't get that.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Oh well. Thanks to many of you who help me make my points better than I can make them myself.

Just a theory: some of the mods could be people who have little or no authority elsewhere so they like to flex their muscles online. The thing that burns me the most is the condescending attitude they sometimes display. Oh well. Guess that's just life.

I still love Redszone. And I appreciate the mods...just trying to voice my opinion.
    IMO, that is pretty low, Max. You have a beef with a mod about a thread, fine. But if you want to get personal, take it private. After all, some derogatory things could be said about you in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    IMO, that is pretty low, Max. You have a beef with a mod about a thread, fine. But if you want to get personal, take it private. After all, some derogatory things could be said about you in this thread.
    Like I said, it's just a theory. How was it personal in any way?

And I also said I appreciate the mods.

And that's low?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

And that's low?
    I think your theory in the middle could have been left out of the post.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

And that's low?
    You are saying that some of the mods in your opinion have little or no authority elsewhere so they like to flex their muscles online. How is that not personal?

Then posting that you appreciate the mods. Make up your mind, Max. Do you appreciate us or do you believe we have little or no authority elsewhere so we like to flex our muscles here? Or do you just not appreciate us when we are picking on you but all other times we are OK?

I get you have a problem. We all get that ad nauseum. You want to ask why a thread was closed and have a discussion about it, that is fine. But when you insult some of us by saying publically we are just ineffectual pencil pushers in real life and we get a kick out of getting all authoritarian on here, that is low. You are entitled to your opinion, Max. But if you want to say things like that, take it private.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
    :
    Take that you son of a gun!!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I think your theory in the middle could have been left out of the post.
    I agree that particular part of his post was clearly uncalled for and should have been handled privately. I think our moderators do a great job, especially considering what a thankless position it often is.

Turn Off Ads?