Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starters ERA?

Starters ERA?

Just wondering if anyone knows what the starters combined era is this season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starters ERA?

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

thanks m2 thats bad and if i recall the bullpen has let a few inherted runners score too

That's actually very good for us. Now if the bullpen can do anything decent we may be able to surprise some people.

my fault guys i forgot to put the not im my reply i think is great for the reds. It is prolly in the middle 3s without opening day

For a Level Playing Field

M2 is overstating it a bit! The REDS starter's ERA is 3.77 after 10 games.
    * 62 IP, 26 ER, 60 H, 47 K, 10 BB, 8 HRA. 1.13 WHIP.

Bullpen
    * 27 IP, 19 ER, 34 H, 24 K, 14 BB. 6.33 ERA, 1.78 WHIP.

4.55 Team ERA.

Without Opening Day, the starters are:
    * 57 IP, 20 ER, 3.16 ERA, 1.02 WHIP.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 04-15-2006 at 12:54 PM.

That 4.7:1 strikeout to walk ratio (and corresponding 1.13 WHIP) is the most promising thing I see. The homers don't hurt nearly as much when you aren't putting people on base for free. I must say I was very pessimistic about our chances last night and was pleasantly surprised.

It seems like Narron is increasingly using Coffey in high leverage situations, setting him up to take over the closers role down the road. Of course, he's going to need to maintain his K rate if he's going to close. Last year's abysmal K rate will not get it done.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If are team era stay between 4.25 and 4.50 we hang around all season. I have confidence in weathers, coffey, and mercker. We need two more people to step and the other 2 can be long relief. I know I am stating the obvious bet if the starters keep going 6 or 7 innings the backend bullpen are all that really matter.

Dave Williams brings the starters ERA up a notch... sigh.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

4.43 after 11 games now.

Even is bad as Williams was and is likely to remain the starting pitching is a ways down the list of problems that needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Even is bad as Williams was and is likely to remain the starting pitching is a ways down the list of problems that needs to be addressed.
    It remains #1 for me. The team can improve the defense simply by deploying players already in the fold. And I'm not one who thinks it makes sense for a team like the Reds to make high profile bullpen moves. What the team needs to do on that front is start collecting arms. In the meantime, acquiring more starting talent remains critical. Whether it's biding time to get into the Dontrelle Willis market or snatching up a prospect from a franchise that needs a major league bat today (hello L.A., Houston and Minnesota), I recommend monomania.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It remains #1 for me. The team can improve the defense simply by deploying players already in the fold. And I'm not one who thinks it makes sense for a team like the Reds to make high profile bullpen moves. What the team needs to do on that front is start collecting arms. In the meantime, acquiring more starting talent remains critical. Whether it's biding time to get into the Dontrelle Willis market or snatching up a prospect from a franchise that needs a major league bat today (hello L.A., Houston and Minnesota), I recommend monomania.
    Moi aussi.

Improve the starters--and by virtue of that you improve the bullpen, the defense.....
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    And I'm not one who thinks it makes sense for a team like the Reds to make high profile bullpen moves.
    Starting pitchng solves lots of bullpen problems -- when your starters go 7 a night, you can rotate 2-3 guys in setup and have 1 guy closing games out. I think the Reds could manage a decent bullpen of some combination of Weathers, Mercker, Coffey and Shackleford that would win them a lot of ballgames if it was coupled with 5 starters that could throw 7 innings of competitive ball per night.

It's when you get outings like today from your starting pitching that your bullpen gets exposed. Improve the starting pitching and that ceases to be a problem.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt the Reds to play a little prospect shuffling -- move some trash starting pieces like Germano and Ramirez and acquire some AA arms in return. Move guys that the team DOESN'T project as starters but who are still starting (and, thus overvalued) and exchange them for more advanced bullpen-type pitchers.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The Reds starters have a new and fresh look from game to game so far this year. They seem to be able to keep hitters off balance. The biggest knock on them is that they continue to give up a ton of homers. As long as no one is on base its not that big of a problem. It would be great if they could add a true power pitcher to the starting rotation, actually to the pitching staff in general. I really like how Arroyo and Harang look when they are on. Both of those guys just need to be careful and either keep the ball low or if sneaking a high ball in there make sure its HIGH!

Overall 4 of the 5 have looked pretty good so far. You have to be pleased with the progress thus far of Claussen and as long as the Milton of the first half of the season last year stays away it could be a good year.

Turn Off Ads?