Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The AA rotation

The AA rotation

Chattanooga's rotation may not be swimming in prospects, but, IMO, it's an interesting group. I had a few thoughts on each of the guys in that rotation (and one who isn't) so I figured I'd lump them into a single thread.

Steve Kelly - For a guy like Kelly it's a shame that the majors exist. He's not a prospect, never been a prospect, never will be a prospect. The best he can hope for is a September callup someday. Unfortunately the way the feeder system operates works directly against what would be a sensible career path for Kelly. In a perfect world the Chattanooga Lookouts would sign Kelly to a long-term deal and he'd be the de facto ace of their rotation while the Reds devoted the other available spots to their prospects.

Coming into this season, Kelly had a 2.79 ERA in Chattanooga and a 3.89 ERA everywhere else he's pitched. I daresay he's found a home in AA. If only a AA could sign a guy like Kelly to a decent contract and have him anchor the team for a five-year run or so. He could still be available for callup by the Reds, but I don't see why he needs to pitch in Louisville ever again if the organization could make it worth his while to stick in AA.

Tyler Pelland - He's always been advanced a level ahead of where he should be and once again he's doing nothing to distinguish himself, this time in AA. I think he should be converted to bullpen now (or dealt away). I expect Chattanooga to be his Waterloo, the place where his career as a viable starting pitching prospect ends.

Travis Chick - With every start he's getting farther away from the last time he pitched well (2004). There's been rumbling that his wing isn't very healthy and at this point that would almost be good news as it would provide an excuse for how awful he's been.

Phil Dumatrait - I assume there's something amiss with Dumatrait. He got the first start of the year for the Lookouts, dominated and hasn't taken the mound since then. It's too bad because, though I've never been of the opinion that Dumatrait's going to have a positive impact in the majors, he did bounce back nicely from TJ surgery last season and it would be nice to see him get a shot at the next level.

Edward Valdez - Great start his first time out, but he's organizational filler.

Jung Bong - Proof that throwing left-handed will get you chances you don't deserve. He sucks.

Calvin Medlock - I'm still baffled as to why he's not in the Chattanooga rotation. He hasn't done anything to distinguish himself in three appearances out of the pen so far, but Bong being in the rotation in front of this guy (not to mention Pelland, whom Medlock's outpitched the past two years, and Chick) is ridiculous.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The AA rotation

Dumatrait went back to home for IIRC, the birth of a child. It was planned that he would make his first start then be gone for a week. I read an article about it before his first start.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Dumatrait went back to home for IIRC, the birth of a child. It was planned that he would make his first start then be gone for a week. I read an article about it before his first start.
    Good to hear that. For his sake I hope he gets back, kicks some butt and earns himself a shot in AAA.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That makes two of us M2. He was very good in that first outing he had. Dumatrait has good stuff, he just was a little on the wild side last year. He had a good ERA last year but he walked way to many batters last year. He will probably see Louisville before this year is over. Louisville does have a 35 year old in their rotation mind you, and I think with some quick success, he may be bumped up to Louisville to take that spot in the rotation.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Calvin Medlock - I'm still baffled as to why he's not in the Chattanooga rotation. He hasn't done anything to distinguish himself in three appearances out of the pen so far, but Bong being in the rotation in front of this guy (not to mention Pelland, whom Medlock's outpitched the past two years, and Chick) is ridiculous.
    Medlock seems to be one clear situation of the Reds Player Development and scouting staff being hellbent on hammering what they felt to be a square peg into the square hole.

Calvin is a smaller pitcher (I think just barely 6') and the scouts profile him as a bullpen guy. It's been on every scouting report I've ever read about Medlock -- "He's doing great but bullpen in his future." Something like that gets repeated enough, eventually it doesn't matter how well someone pitches, they just end up in the 'pen.

Small minded thinking, IMO. Let him start until he starts losing effectiveness -- his value is exponentially higher if other teams believe he can start.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Edward Valdez - Great start his first time out, but he's organizational filler.
    I think he may be a marginal prospect. From what I've read, they think he has good stuff. He's what, 25-26? A little old, but he has advanced a level almost every year (meaning he was older than originally thought, I'd assume), and does not appear to have hit a wall in AA this year. I think they'd consider him for a shot at the major league bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    "He's doing great but bullpen in his future." Something like that gets repeated enough, eventually it doesn't matter how well someone pitches, they just end up in the 'pen.
    When the legend becomes reality, print the legend.

In other words, keep repeating something and eventually it becomes truth. Paul Revere anyone?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?