Turn Off Ads?

Thread: At least we're not the only ones thinking it

At least we're not the only ones thinking it

From Rotoworld

Yankees signed first baseman Carlos Pena to a minor league contract.

The Reds were crazy not to sign Pena and make him their starting first baseman immediately, and there were other teams that should have offered to bring him to the majors right away. The Yankees will assign him to Triple-A Columbus initially and could give him Andy Phillips' job in a few weeks. Since he could end up being a regular against right-handers at some point, he remains worthy of a bench spot in AL-only leagues.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: At least we're not the only ones thinking it

Ugh.

If he would have accepted an assignment to AAA, I have no clue why this move wasn't done by Krivsky.

I believe that even if Krivsky likes Carlos Pena, this would be an example of saving face. Hatteberg is his guy. He signed him, then he traded Wily Mo to Boston and Dunn was moved back to LF. If Krivsky would have signed Pena then it would have looked like a panic move and it would basically be saying that his first "major" acquisition was a failure 11 games into the season.

I wouldn't call Hatteberg Krivsky's first major acquisition, I would say Arroyo gets those honors. Hatteberg was a pickup so that Pena could be moved for pitching. If Krivsky would have signed Pena it would have looked like what it was, a younger player who was available now that wasn't when he signed Hatteberg.

Maybe just maybe Krivsky doesnt like Pena's game, maybe there is a reason more than one franchise has dumped this guy. To think that all the sudden this guy is going to figure it out is just wrong, let him go to the Yankees.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

If you read my post, you may have noted the fact that I had "major" in quotes like that. I simply meant that Hatteberg was the first player acquired by Krivsky who was intended to be a part of and is a part of the 25 man roster. In all actuality, I think Hatteberg was his first acquisition period. I suppose I could have simply said that.

You can say Hatteberg was a pickup so that Pena could be moved for pitching, but that's not what Krivsky said nor is it what Hatteberg was told at the time. What everyone was told at the time was Hatteberg would spell Dunn at first base. At the time Hatteberg was acquired the supposed plan was Dunn at first and Pena, Junior, and Kearns in the outfield. When Pena was later traded and Dunn moved back to LF that left Hatteberg as the guy getting the bulk of the AB's and playing time at first base.

Now that is just my theory. But I will admit that you bring up a good point about getting a young player who wasn't available before. I mean Krivsky did go out and get Brandon Phillips to throw into the second base/shortstop mix.

Let's be honest though. Even if Krivsky had signed Pena, can we really say that he would be our starting first baseman? Or would there be several gamethreads with Redzoners complaining because Hatteberg is at first base or Aurilia is at first base? Who would have been sent down to the minors or released? My guess is it actually wouldn't be a position player. It would probably be somebody like Mike Burns going down if he still has options or maybe actually releasing someone like a Chris Hammond (the less likely of the two). Then we would have 4 guys who can play second base and 3 guys who can play first base all on the 25 man roster and Narron trying to find playing time for all of them to keep them all "happy and sharp".

I'm not saying those are reasons for not signing Pena either. I'm just saying that's probably the way it would go.

I don't think it's a matter of whether he liked Pena or not or whether he would be a good fit etc. In fact I don't think it had anything to do with making a baseball decision at all. I have watched very carefully at all the moves made and what we are doing at all the levels and based on some of what I have read about what the FO has to say is it's about the money right now and probably for a few months at the very least it will be. And unless we can unload another sizable contract (Larue?) we will not see many additions.

I mean what other reasons would there be for adding some of the names we have in the minor leagues so far. I'll tell you why, if we are to just remain competitive and nothing less we can keep those turnstyles spinnin' at all levels. If we do that we maximize our dollars which then gives us some $$$ to play with at either the trade deadline (if we are playing over our heads at that point) or in the offseason. The way you stay competitive is by putting together solid defenses, decent pitching and timely hitting.

So if we are to make any trades between now and the deadline expect us to be dumping salary but not at the expense of keeping our heads above water. Translation No Big Deals!! Unless someone loses there minds and offers us Dontrelle & Miguel for Freel, Kearns, Wagner and Wood!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?