Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What is Hal thinking?

What is Hal thinking?

In today's Ask Hal:

Q: I hear the Florida Marlins might be interested in trading pitcher Dontrelle Willis. Would the Marlins take Ryan Freel, Rich Aurilia, Austin Kearns and a minor-league pitcher for him? — Mark, Lexington, Ky.
    A: The Marlins' payroll is just over $14 million and Dontrelle makes about a third of that. Dontrelle, the pitcher-entertainer supreme, is one of my favorite players and he certainly could spruce up the Reds' rotation. Truthfully, though, I wouldn't trade Freel, Aurilia or Kearns and gut the roster. The way the Marlins are paring payroll, they might take three crates of oranges, 100 bunches of bananas and 20 season passes to Kings Island for Dontrelle.

First of all I'd trade any of those players for a 24 year old Cy Young candidate and secondly, the Marlins wouldn't do it for that. It would take at least four TOP prospects to get Dontrelle. Not Kearns, Freel and Aurilia who all make in the millions.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is Hal thinking?

The Marlins won't deal him for nothing, and at 14 mill they are in profit land now.
    Go Gators!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Hal has been out of touch with the game for a long time now.

The Marlins won't trade Willis for Kearns, RA and Freel because they are trimming payroll?

First of all I'd trade any of those players for a 24 year old Cy Young candidate and secondly, the Marlins wouldn't do it for that. It would take at least four TOP prospects to get Dontrelle. Not Kearns, Freel and Aurilia who all make in the millions.
    Plus the Reds would have to take on Willis' salary I'm sure.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    The Marlins won't deal him for nothing, and at 14 mill they are in profit land now.
    Gammons was talking about the Cabrera and Willis rumors the other day and dismissed them as just that. What he said makes a lot of sense. If they move the team to San Antonio or Vegas or wherever, they are going to need some players on that team that are marketable. Just moving a bunch of no name guys to a new city is not going to get people to come out and watch them once the novelty factor wears off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Of course Florida would never consider such a deal, but suggesting the REds shouldn't do that if offered is one of the sillier things Hal has ever said, and that's a long and distinguished list.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

If we are talking about the short term I'm not sure it would be in the Reds best interest. Remember how Willis pitched in the WBC???

Folks look at Freel and Kearns like that is giving up water for beef and its not. Freel may be 30 and only have a couple of good years left in him Kearns is turning 26 and has more than a few years left in him. Lets not give up Kearns for someone who cannot pitch well against Korea or Canada. I mean The folks in Canada and Korea sure take up a lot of roster spots in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    If we are talking about the short term I'm not sure it would be in the Reds best interest. Remember how Willis pitched in the WBC???

Folks look at Freel and Kearns like that is giving up water for beef and its not. Freel may be 30 and only have a couple of good years left in him Kearns is turning 26 and has more than a few years left in him. Lets not give up Kearns for someone who cannot pitch well against Korea or Canada. I mean The folks in Canada and Korea sure take up a lot of roster spots in MLB.

cause we all know those first three starts a player has in March dictate his entire season.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Of course Florida would never consider such a deal, but suggesting the REds shouldn't do that if offered is one of the sillier things Hal has ever said, and that's a long and distinguished list.
    His resume is getting quite extensive isn't it?

The only way that the Marlins would trade Dontrelle is for some top-flite prospects... and the ones mentioned aren't it.

Would be a great trade for us. Really stupid for them.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I commend you on your tact, calling it "silly".

Many, more harsh, words came to my mind.

Turn Off Ads?