Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tony Clark

Tony Clark

Anyone want to take a chance on him? The Diamondbacks are clearly not wanting him with Connor J. at 1B and Tracy at 3B... Shawn Green in the mix as insurance with they want to put someone else in the OF. Clark at GABP= Derek Lee style resurgence in my opinion. He struggled a little to start off the season. How much would you give up for him? I would start with someone like Donoforia or Williams or both plus a prospect or two.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Clark

How much would you give up for him? I would start with someone like Donoforia or Williams or both plus a prospect or two.
    I like Clark, but he has a history of back problems and wouldn't give up any prospects for him and his 34 year old back.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

For those of you who might not be aware, this is what Tony Clark did last year:

349 AB, .304/.366/.636, 30 HR, 87 RBI

He's a good defender, cheap (1MM), and has a ton more power than Hatteberg. I have no idea what favor he's in in Arizona, and I imagine they want to keep for him the same reasons, but if he could swing some of our excess for him, I'd be all for it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He makes more than 1 million, they signed him to a 2 year extension mid season last year, has to be more than 1 million.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Depends on what the DBacks want in return. I wouldn't give up much.

If this team wasn't willing to go after Pena for free, I doubt they TRADE for a 1Bman.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    He makes more than 1 million, they signed him to a 2 year extension mid season last year, has to be more than 1 million.
    Tony Clark: signed deal for 2005 season worth 750K on 1/24/05- + signed 2-year EXTENSION thru 2007 season worth 2.068M on 8/5/05- + as part of the extension, he receives a complete NO-TRADE clause for the remainder of the 2005 season and all of 2006, but not in 2007- + he receives 250K assignment bonus in 2007 if traded - http://www.mlb4u.com/ari.html

So he is just 1MM, but he's got a full no trade for all of 2006.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wow, that is cheap. Like I said I like him, but I wouldn't want the Reds to trade Denorfia for him at this juncture in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Wow, that is cheap. Like I said I like him, but I wouldn't want the Reds to trade Denorfia for him at this juncture in their careers.
    The DBacks would have no need of OFs they have the most in the majors(Young, Upton, Gonzalez, Quentin) and will have to unload at some point
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    The DBacks would have no need of OFs they have the most in the majors(Young, Upton, Gonzalez, Quentin) and will have to unload at some point
    Send Young our way.

Chris Young would make Reds fans think they were watching Eric Davis again.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Send Young our way.

Chris Young would make Reds fans think they were watching Eric Davis again.
    that ship already sailed
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    For those of you who might not be aware, this is what Tony Clark did last year:

349 AB, .304/.366/.636, 30 HR, 87 RBI
    Should we tell the fellas his stats from the 3 previous seasons?
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Should we tell the fellas his stats from the 3 previous seasons?
    Let's not.... I'm all about blind enthusiam... Most scouting reports describe him as a VERY streaky hitter. As hot as he was in 2005, he was cold in 2003 & 2004.

I mean besides his flat out horrible year with Boston while his average and OBP have been pretty low the power has been there to 25-35 HR over a full season. I mean he can be bad but he's played much better in the NL and put him in a hitters park and I can see .300, 40, 120 (a stretch but LESS than what last years numbers translate to over a full season).

The D-Backs clearly do have to unload some talent... I'm not sure what they are looking for. They have plenty of 1B/3B/OF- Quentin, Upton, Young, Gonzalez, Green, Tracy, Clark and Conor Jackson. Three of those guys are clearly out of the long term plans- likely Gonzalez, Green and Clark (who act as the teams offensive nucleus but will soon be replaced as other players devolop). Eric Brynes and Jeff Davannon are also solid fill ins. The emergence of Tracy makes these guys expendable and I'm sure they are hoping more guys will step up. They are fine behind the plate with Estrada and Snyder....... They now have Orlando Hudson and Craig Counsell to compliment Alex Cintron (if he's still there?) and Easley. (Was Scott Hairston released yet????). They don't really need talent in their lineup at all.

Brandon Webb is pretty much an ace.... Orlando Hernandez and Russ Ortiz have issues but also upside as well as Juan Cruz. Miguel Batista is pretty decent.... The rotation is not good but it has the potential to be more than solid. I guess they could use a young starter or two but these are the same guys who traded Brad Halsey. The pen is not too bad with Valverde having upside. Luis Vizcaino is not too bad either. They are taking chances with Brandon Lyon, Jason Grimsley and Claudio Vargas though. Pitching is definately their weakness but they've been dumping a lot of talent there too-Schilling, the big unit, and recently Vazquez.

I think, however that the surplus of offensive talent should be taken advantage of just as much as the surplus of starting pitching in Oakland- Harden, Zito, Haren, Loiza, Blanton, Joe Kennedy, Halsey, Sarloos. The Reds need to step and and snag some talent as we clearly have some holes- Williams is a liability in the rotation and Milton definately has the potential to be and Hatteburg/Aurillia would be better suited on the bench. Watch the Reds do nothing, however.

For cheap maybe, as a replacement for Hatteberg.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?