Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Dunn in Marty's doghouse?

Re: Why is Dunn in Marty's doghouse?

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    It looks good to throw that OPS around, but with RISP it means nothing if you aren't knocking the guys in. I'll take Sac Flies from him with a runner on
    3rd all day long, in the past he has struck out in those situations. Maybe this year will be different. When you have a guy on 3rd base with less than 2 outs your job as a cleanup hitter is to get that guy home, not work the pitcher for a walk from time to time, and strike out every other time.

I really wish Dunn would be more clutch because I really like Dunner, but what does he have now 7 HR and 11 RBI's?? That is what 2 2run HR's 5 Solo HR's and 2 Sac Flies this year??
    It's also good to remember that so far this year he's mostly had guys like Scott Hatteberg and Rich Aurilia hitting behind him. I can't think of too many pitchers who would go after Dunn aggressively with a man on third and one out and Hatteberg in the on-deck circle.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Honestly

who cares who is in Marty's doghouse? His doghouse means as much as yours and mine.

Pretty sure the Reds faithful put a lil more stock in Marty's doghouse than yours or mine, IMO. I can't understand for the life of me why a HOF announcer for the Reds can't stand the Reds' best player? To tie 2 threads together, Does Marty have it in for Dunn as much as George Grande has an unhealthy case of manlove for Jim Edmonds?

I think it's a close edge to Marty, as unfortunately the only way I could get the game live today was listening to The Big One and I don't remember 1 good or nice thing he said about Dunn today, and I watched FSN the other night as George was at a loss for words as Edmonds decided to play soccer in CF.

With Kearns starting to hit the ball pretty well so far I think I'd probably take my chances with Dunn. EE has been hitting the ball pretty sharply so far just right at the 3B and SS.

I really wish Dunn would be more clutch because I really like Dunner, but what does he have now 7 HR and 11 RBI's?? That is what 2 2run HR's 5 Solo HR's and 2 Sac Flies this year??
    These stats could also point to other possible scenarios.

1. The people batting ahead of him just aren't getting on base enough.
    2. Narron has been batting him in a spot where he's just had the bad luck of coming up early in the inning with no one on.

In any case, that's a pretty small sample size. RBI depend a lot on what happens with the guys hitting ahead of you. However, A 1.042 OPS with RISP means he likely does two things well with runners in scoring position:

1. He knocks the hell out of the ball (Can't get credit for a sac fly if it goes out of the park).
    2. He gets on base himself, setting the table for the next guy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

It looks good to throw that OPS around, but with RISP it means nothing if you aren't knocking the guys in.
    Myth.

I'll take Sac Flies from him with a runner on...
    Players can't produce Sac Flies at will any more than they can produce non-DP ground balls.

Maybe this year will be different. When you have a guy on 3rd base with less than 2 outs your job as a cleanup hitter is to get that guy home, not work the pitcher for a walk from time to time, and strike out every other time.
    Myth. The player's "job" is to not make an out. Even a more free swinger like Albert Pujols knows that and stated as much after yesterday's game.

And yet, Adam Dunn entered today's game tied for fifth in the NL in Runs Created and finished 9th in 2004 and 7th in 2005.

Doesn't get much more "clutch" than that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    It's also good to remember that so far this year he's mostly had guys like Scott Hatteberg and Rich Aurilia hitting behind him. I can't think of too many pitchers who would go after Dunn aggressively with a man on third and one out and Hatteberg in the on-deck circle.
    Why not??? The guy strikes out about an average of 1 in 3 times AB. Plus, he has only averaged about 10 IBBs a season or less. In this situation, I think a pitcher will throw to him more than you think. For a power hitter his IBBs are really low, shoot, little Suzuki had double of IBBs last year than he did.

I mean, I see your point in that it would be considered they are throwing around him and he would chalk up a walk, but afraid of him when it is clutch time then I just don't see it.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

The difference between Dunn hitting .300 with RISP last year and the .249 he did hit was 6 hits. Or about 1 hit a month.

Everyone freaks out about 1 freaking hit a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Myth.

Players can't produce Sac Flies at will any more than they can produce non-DP ground balls.

Myth. The player's "job" is to not make an out. Even a more free swinger like Albert Pujols knows that and stated as much after yesterday's game.

And yet, Adam Dunn entered today's game tied for fifth in the NL in Runs Created and finished 9th in 2004 and 7th in 2005.

Doesn't get much more "clutch" than that.
    They can't produce SAC Flies? Did they forget how to do this along with bunting or do they not want to do it or at least try it? When you mean created, you mean moved the runner into position to score? I don't call this clutch, what is your definition of clutch? Did you mean he placed the runner in position to win the game and it happened by your ranking? His RBI total should explain what is clutch. Well, that is the way I see it. I am sure it does not to you.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

thats fine Steel. I disagree that Dunn's job is just to simply get on base. We'll never see eye to eye on this.

I'm not defending Marty, even though I do have very fond memories (and with this team some not so fond ones ) listening to him and Joe.

But the thing that people need to realize when they ask "why does Marty say bad things about Dunn" is that Marty is not a stats guy. He's not paid to be a stats guy. He has a stats guy close to him or with him in the booth. Marty is paid to watch 162 or so games a year and describe the action in every single one of them. If Marty sees Dunn strike out and fail to drive runners in several times, that sticks in his head. Then he can whip out the batting average with runners in scoring position, especially this year, and say Dunn is no good with runners on base and in scoring position.

To the average baseball fan, batting average with runners in scoring position is the stat they're going to look at, and even a .248 average would not be considered very good. Now I know that's not where Dunn's true value lies, nor is it the best way to judge him. I will say that if Dunn is going to get on base via the walk in those situations, then he needs to have adequate protection behind him, or else all in the walks in the world will do him and the Reds absolutely no good. Hopefully Kearns can stay healthy and productive, because he should be batting right behind Dunn every day.

Quote Originally Posted by cReds1
    They can't produce SAC Flies? Did they forget how to do this along with bunting or do they not want to do it or at least try it?
    Doesn't happen. Hitters cannot hit Sacrifice Flies at will any more than they can avoid Double Play ground balls just by trying really hard.

Happy accidents aren't skill sets.

When you mean created, you mean moved the runner into position to score? I don't call this clutch, what is your definition of clutch? Did you mean he placed the runner in position to win the game and it happened by your ranking? His RBI total should explain what is clutch. Well, that is the way I see it. I am sure it does not to you.
    Adam Dunn was worth more Runs offensively than all but six National League players last year. He'll move up the list from 5th after his game today for the 2006 season. That's clutch. Adam Dunn made fewer Outs with RISP and acquired more bases with RISP in 2005 than he did with no one on base in front of him. That's clutch too.

And just so we all realize it- Adam Dunn bats with a Runner is Scoring Position every time he walks to the plate. Solo Home Runs are "clutch" too.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Adam Dunn led the Reds in RBIs w/RISP in 2005.

Right now he's on a pace to score 189 runs and drive in 149. He's hitting over .300. Adam Dunn is in Marty's doghouse because Marty's a grade-A sphincter.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly
    To the average baseball fan, batting average with runners in scoring position is the stat they're going to look at, and even a .248 average would not be considered very good. .

People need to strive to be ABOVE average baseball fans. Then they'd see what we have.

Especially in a town where everyone thinks they have the "best fans in baseball".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I'm a Dunn fan, I like him, I'm glad they locked him up.

He's 1-15 with RISP so far this season...I'm sorry, but that's not good.

(make that 2-16 after his 2 run HR )
    RISP is pretty much a worthless stat. A stat that does not count a double, triple or home run with a runner on first isn't telling you jack.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Dear Marty,

I've been listening to you for over 30 years and have been a big fan. Lately, I haven't been sure if you were aware of the real problems the Reds seem to have this season. It seems like the Reds are weakest in two areas: 1. Pitching, 2. Defense up the middle. I hope this helps.

Also, could you please leave the Adam Dunn strawman alone for a few days? His stuffing is starting to thin from all the tearing down. Thanks.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?