Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Bottom of the 9th, man on 1st, Pujols up, Rolen on deck, what's the move, meat?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walk him.

56 63.64%
  • Pitch to him.

32 36.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottom of the 9th, man on 1st, Pujols up, Rolen on deck, what's the move, meat?

Re: Bottom of the 9th, man on 1st, Pujols up, Rolen on deck, what's the move, meat?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Stevie Wonder?
    "My cherie amour, lovely as a summer day."

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bottom of the 9th, man on 1st, Pujols up, Rolen on deck, what's the move, meat?

Yeah, you have to pitch to him. As stated above, no way do you walk him and put the tying run in scoring position. It's textbook, really.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    You have to pitch to him. No way do you go first and second, no outs, with Rolen coming up.

Weathers had him 1-2, and all he had to do, with multiple chances, was execute with his best pitch, a slider, down and away.
    And that is what really pee'd me off.... that he had him 1-2 and got careless (or maybe cocky, thinking he could get one by him and K him).

But to allow the pitcher on base before that was an absolute sin.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-16-2006 at 08:33 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    It was a no brainer... and apparently JN didn't know that.

The guy had already hit two homeruns for Pete's sake. So in the bottom of the 9th with a runner on and up only one run, Narron decides to pitch to him. My God! It doesn't get much stupider than that!

Nothing like just handing this game to the Cards on a silver platter. I blame no one but Narron for this one. The offense worked their butts off in this game and IMHO, Narron blew it.
    ah. what's the chances of a 3rd home run! We need a closer bad.

Wow! 36 (70%) say walk him.

And some of you want to be my manager?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

There is not a manager in baseball that would walk Pujols in that situation. If the reds would have walked him the Cardinals could have won the game without even getting a hit. If that would have happened then there would really be people second guessing.

Old Red Guard Reject

Needless to say, I think that Weather's "invincibility" has just wore off. Really it was never there. It's just too bad the fall back to Earth hurt more than just his ego. Let's face it, Weather never has or will be the stopper at the end of the game and this was bound to happen sooner or later. If you have a true closer I think this discussion isn't taking place. As mentioned, walking Pujols really doesn't help when you have Rolen behind him now with a runner in scoring position. Heck, Rolen already went deep too, do you suggest we load the bases and walk him too? I don't disagree with the strategy, but Coffey may have been a better option.

If 70% of people say walk him, it certainly isn't a good testament of the board's managing ability.

There isn't a manager in baseball that would have walked him.

So what if he had already hit 2 HR's. His chance of hitting the 3rd was no better than usual.

If you walk him, you are almost conceding the tie, as they can score with productive outs.

D. Eckstein ss 4 1 2 0 1 0 3 .300
    A. Miles 2b 4 1 1 0 0 0 3 .300

I post this above the lockers of my pitchers the next day.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

The problem wasn't pitching to him, the problem was with location. I know they wanted to come inside to set up the slider low and away, but in my opinion you don't throw that pitch unless you are waaaaay inside. A fastball to Pujols ON the inside corner is not the pitch in that situation. I would have went slider low and away and then came back with slider low and away and then slider low and away. If that didn't get the job done then I go to work on Rolen
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I don't walk him, but I don't give him an inside fastball either, I don't give him anything in that's over the plate, he crushes those pitches as he did all 3 times he got them yesterday.

To not walk him in my book isn't even a decision it's the only choice, you can't put the tying run on second, just no baseball logic in that, but you go down and away where he can't hit one out of the park. Use your best pitch and then if you walk him so be it, but up 1-2 you don't come in with a fastball unless it knocks him on his butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    If you have a true closer I think this discussion isn't taking place.
    Brad Lidge says hi
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

you don't let the best player in the NL beat you. Walk him. I wouldn't even think twice. You have a much, much better chance to get Rolen out than you do Pujols.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

In Narron's/Weathers' defense, according to Weathers the call on that 1-2 pitch was to bust Pujols inside. However, Weathers missed -- and the resulting pitch caught too much of the plate.

Pujols is a great player, maybe the best hitter in the league. Weathers is a career journeyman, so it's clear to see which way the scales were tilted. When Weathers allowed Marquise to get on, I knew it was over.

While it is true that you should never let the opponent's best player beat you, I think the bigger problem yesterday was the pitching staff's inability to get the guys in the lower portion of the order out. Arroyo deserves the blame early on there. And, even though Coffey managed to escape the 8th unscathed, it was the fact that he faced 6 batters rather than 3 that led to Pujols even having an at bat in the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    you don't let the best player in the NL beat you. Walk him. I wouldn't even think twice. You have a much, much better chance to get Rolen out than you do Pujols.
    Rolen has a better chance in winning the game and tying the game than Pujols does. Rolen would only need a single to tie or a double/triple/ HR to win. Pujols needs a double/triple to tie and a HR to win. As good as Pujols is, the odds were to pitch to him. Weathers made a bad pitch and Pujols crushed it. Happens to even the best of them, not just guys like Weathers.

Turn Off Ads?