Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Coffey as closer

Time for Coffey as closer

I was impressed with Coffey Friday and today!! To me he showed great poise under pressure, especially against a team like the Cardinals. Weathers is a good pitcher, but not as a closer, I would have prefered to see a duel of Pujols vs. Coffey myself. Many more endings like these and I don't think it will be long before we see him in there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time for Coffey as closer

might happen but only because he is best among a choice of bad options. The Reds pen is a group of pitchers who on the best day are middle relievers.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-16-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Well I think he could be giving that chance... soon I hope. This team isn't going to go anywhere if they stick with a suspect bullpen.

Why not give him the role.........maybe he turns out like Turnbow of the Brewers.......

I have been sort of impressed with Coffey this year, but I wasn't today. His butchering of the bottom of the Cards lineup in the 8th led to Pujols batting in the 9th.

If the Reds are going to contend or hang around .500 they do need a solid closer, but up until today Weathers had great numbers especiall OBA. Let's not forget that Coffey's first 3 batters all reached base. I think the closer position is one of the more over rated positions, but it has been proven that its tough to be a contender unless you have a solid one. The closer by committee thing just hasn't worked for anyone in the past really.

Coffey as closer doesn't really improve our chance to win very much -- but it certainly makes him much more expensive down the road when he goes in to arb....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    I have been sort of impressed with Coffey this year, but I wasn't today. His butchering of the bottom of the Cards lineup in the 8th led to Pujols batting in the 9th.

If the Reds are going to contend or hang around .500 they do need a solid closer, but up until today Weathers had great numbers especiall OBA. Let's not forget that Coffey's first 3 batters all reached base. I think the closer position is one of the more over rated positions, but it has been proven that its tough to be a contender unless you have a solid one. The closer by committee thing just hasn't worked for anyone in the past really.
    1975 Cincinnati Reds

Rawly Eastwick: 58 games, 90 IP, 5-3 record, 2.60 ERA, 22 saves, 61 Ks, 25 BBs
    Will McEnaney: 70 games, 91 IP, 5-2 record, 2.47 ERA, 15 saves, 48 Ks, 23 BBs
    Clay Carroll: 56 games, 96.1 IP, 7-5 record, 2.62 ERA, 7 saves, 44 Ks, 32 BBs
    Pedro Borbon: 67 games, 125 IP, 9-5 record, 2.95 ERA, 5 saves, 29 Ks, 21 BBs
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

got alil captain in u?

it's time jerry needs to hvae them in set roles

It's time for Castellini to hire Monty Hall and make a deal for some pen help.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    It's time for Castellini to hire Monty Hall and make a deal for some pen help.
    that would likely be a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    1975 Cincinnati Reds

Rawly Eastwick: 58 games, 90 IP, 5-3 record, 2.60 ERA, 22 saves, 61 Ks, 25 BBs
    Will McEnaney: 70 games, 91 IP, 5-2 record, 2.47 ERA, 15 saves, 48 Ks, 23 BBs
    Clay Carroll: 56 games, 96.1 IP, 7-5 record, 2.62 ERA, 7 saves, 44 Ks, 32 BBs
    Pedro Borbon: 67 games, 125 IP, 9-5 record, 2.95 ERA, 5 saves, 29 Ks, 21 BBs
    I should have rephrased that. In my lifetime. I'm 27, so for virtually my whole life the closer has been a defined role. I'd guess not many teams have been successful since that haven't had a a defined good closer.

I honestly don't think Weathers is the problem.

Look what Pujols did to Lidge last year, he is going to do that to people. We need to surround Coffey, Weathers, and maybe even Kent with some better arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

You could see this coming a mile away. The time to come up with a respectable closer was in January, not April. The failure of this organization to resolve this problem over the winter was probably due to its typical cheapness and we will pay the price for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Why not give him the role.........maybe he turns out like Turnbow of the Brewers.......
    LOL. He's not a turnboy

I just don't think that there is a pitcher on the reds staff that is ready to be a closer. Coffey is as close as your going to get but I don't think he is ready. I think that if the reds had a legitimate closer this could be a good pen, with Weathers,Merker, and Coffey as setup men.

Turn Off Ads?