Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for Coffey as closer

Re: Time for Coffey as closer

...the rest of the story is that Pujols should have had the bat taken out of his hands in that situation.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Completely agree with you Jpup. That whole situation remind anyone of last year at Wrigley when Miley opted to pitch to DLee with first base open and Burnitz on deck. I know the situation was different in that Miley should have been fired on the spot, because that was the easiest baseball move ever. I think it is the same in the idea that I knew both would go yard and didnt want to see either one get a pitch to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I read in the Enquirer today that Wagner was throwing a change down in LOU this year. Say, who is the pitching coach im LOU? Oh, I remember, it is none other than the master of the change himself, Mario Soto. Could it be that instead of punishing Wagner by sending him to AAA they are actually trying to improve him so he can eventually contribute for the Reds? Wagner is no better than White if hitters are laying of the slider and hitting the fastball. He is cheaper but you have to pay White even if you release him.
    And that is why Wags should be down there IMO. He 'll be back.... and a better pitcher IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

What is this: 3.38, 2.46, 1.80, 1.59, 1.35, 1.17, 0.96, 0.90, 0.75, 0.64??

It is Todd Coffey's post-appearance ERA starting with the Apr. 7 game in which he allowed his only earned run through 23 REDS games.

* 11.1 consecutive innings w/out an earned run.
    * Has not allowed a HR in 14 innings pitched this year (58 batters).

Any other setup-types or closers in the NL with comparable numbers at this point? If they had an All-April team for the NL (or for MLB!), would Todd Coffey deserve to be on that team (hoping all stays the same for the last 2 Apr. games)?

Gotta give it up Todd thus far. He has been a force to this point. Closer? I don't know. The REDS are in 1st as things have been. If it works, don't mess with it is how I usually feel. The BP as a whole has been key in the last week. 4ER in the last 7 games over 17.2 innings pitched.

I'd prefer to use him in the key times, not just as closer. Let him face the tough parts of the line-up whether it's in the 7th, 8th or pth innings and give Weathers/Merker the easier guys. I think that would be our best chance of winning games.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

He does seem to do well when he is brought in when there are runners are on. He might be more valuable doing that. If a Rick White or Hammonds gives up the lead in the 7th or 8th it wont matter if Coffey is the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    I totally disagree with your first paragraph. The first hit was a "bang-bang" play at first, I thought he was out. The second hit happened after about 15 foul balls, then their was an intentional walk to load the bases. That is not butchering. Coffey intentionally waik the bases loaded with one out. so no your wrong again, the first three batters did not reach base as you stated in the second paragraph. Get your facts straight before you enter this forum
    Hey who died and made you boss of this forum?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I brought this back.

They might as well begin a fire sale if they aren't going to get a BP. If the starters don't pitch 9 innings its a toss up. Coffey seems okay, but compared to Weathers bringing Rob Dibble out of retirments doesn't sound crazy. Weathers sucks and the reds have won this year despite him. Its called a closer for a reason. Weathers cannot close the door, he has no "out" pitch. He would fit in nicely with Dano's pitch to contact philiosophy though. Maybe this is where the wheels come off the for the Reds. 2 blown saves in back to back games. If they don't revamp the BP and I mean now they are in big trouble.

Weathers has now blown 4 out of 12 save opportunities. That's 66.6%. We're talking Danny Graves at the end of the line territory. Of course, I think closers are overrated. I don't see why managers feel they have to go to the closer if they have a 3 run or less lead in the ninth inning.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

As an addendum, looking at tonight's game, after Weathers blew the save in the ninth and Coffey pitched the tenth...I had a bad feeling when White came in to pitch the 11th. White has been too inconsistent and ineffective, I don't understand why you go to him with the game on the line.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    As an addendum, looking at tonight's game, after Weathers blew the save in the ninth and Coffey pitched the tenth...I had a bad feeling when White came in to pitch the 11th. White has been too inconsistent and ineffective, I don't understand why you go to him with the game on the line.
    Especially versus a left handed batter (Nick Johnson) when you have Mercker, Hammond, and Shackelford all available.

Turn Off Ads?