Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just how horrible has Reds pitching been????

Just how horrible has Reds pitching been????

The last Red to pitch 200 innings in NONCONSECUTIVE years for the Reds was Jose Rijo.

We all know how bad our starting pitching is but the last time the Reds have had more than TWO pitchers pitch 25 games and have an ERA under 5.00 was 1998. That basically means be a #5 starter or better and stay healthy or in the rotation..... the fact is we can't get more than two guys to even do that.

Last season alone TWENTY teams had more than 2 do that in 25 or more GS. That's pathetic considering multiple teams had all 5 fit that criteria and have ERA's much lower than the maximum of 5.00. Simply having 3 guys with ERA's under 5 will not make a team competitive even... Hopefully they can improve this year but we're pretty darn far out from having a solid rotation.

The only other teams not to have that last year:

Rockies- Sucky pitching and Coors field.... Never have done it but very difficult in their ballpark.

Royals- Last did in 1996..... they are pretty bad too.

Brewers- (Injuries did them in (Sheets). Their top 5 in GS had ERA's below 4.60 but Santos needed one more start for them to make it. Last did in 2004.

Yankees- (2 had it and many had low ERA's but injuries to Brown, Pavano and Wright did them in). Last did in 2004.

Pirates- Had two guys with ERA's about 5.10 that would have put them in.... O. Perez's bad year and Duke and Malholm's late emergences were factors too. Last did it in 2002; missed by one start in 2004.

Mariners- Just a lot of bad years.... Last did in 2003.

Devil Rays- Last did in 1998 also but missed several times by just a few starts.

Rangers- Last did in 1997..... pitching issues also.

Blue Jays- Missed by 1 start last year.... missed by one start SEVERAL times the past 5 years. Halladay not even included due to his injury. Last did in 1997, however they have had several legit aces (Clemens and Halladay).
    Last edited by redsandrails; 04-16-2006 at 11:26 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just how horrible has Reds pitching been????

Keyword: Last_Year
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

As we've seen through the first 2 weeks of the season, starting pitching is the key, no matter how bad the bullpen is. If the starters can consistently go 6 innings and give up 3 runs or less, the Reds will contend. That's a big if, and the Reds have 4 pitchers that can possibly do that (Milton,Arroyo,Harang and Claussen). They need one more--maybe a healthy Wilson. I doubt if it is Williams, who is terrible, no matter what Tony LaRussa said.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

How horrible has the Reds pitching been?

Since 1951 the Reds have had 6 seasons when the guy with the most Win Shares was a pitcher, 3 of them were Soto, 1 was Rijo and the other 2 were Relief abberations.. (Abernathy and Shaw)

Who was the last decent pitcher produced by the Red's organization who they didn't trade. Tom Browning? Dibble?

The Reds could concievably have three pitchers do it this year. Harang, Arroyo and Milton.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    The Reds could concievably have three pitchers do it this year. Harang, Arroyo and Milton.
    I'd put my money on Claussen being in there before Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    I'd put my money on Claussen being in there before Milton.
    If Milton pitches even close to as well as he has since the first Spring Training start, why on earth couldn't he be there?

If Milton pitches even close to as well as he has since the first Spring Training start, why on earth couldn't he be there?
    The guys had two regular season starts, against the Cubs and Pirates. Those two aren't exactly offensive powerhouses. I'm extremely hopeful for a big year from Milton but pardon me if I remain skeptical for awhile longer. Let's see where he's at after six or eight more starts.

The reason I'm so optimistic about Milton is simple. He's keeping the ball down and his velocity seems to have returned. Those two factors have nothing at all to do with who you're playing. If you keep the ball down and have good velocity, you can win.

The reason I'm so optimistic about Milton is simple. He's keeping the ball down and his velocity seems to have returned. Those two factors have nothing at all to do with who you're playing. If you keep the ball down and have good velocity, you can win.
    I see what you're saying. It's still just two regular season starts though. Bad pitchers can string together a couple of good starts from time to time. I'm hopeful, that's for sure. I agree with you that if he can keep the velocity up and the ball down, he'll have a pretty good year.

He could be there. I was simply stating that it is way more likely for Claussen to start 25 games with an ERA of under 5.00. He did it last year.

Turn Off Ads?