Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Male Country Singer?

Re: Favorite Male Country Singer?

Brad Paisley

2. Turn Off Ads?

Merle Haggard is probably my all time favorite male country singer. Among the younger guys, Brad Paisley would be at the top of my list, followed by George Strait and Alan Jackson. I liked Randy Owen of Alabama. I like Vince Gill.
    Among the lately departed, I liked Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Marty Robbins.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Don Williams, Merle Haggard, Ray Price and Bobby Bare in that order.

For new country, only Alan Jackson and George Strait.

Toby Keith
    George Strait
    Brad Paisley
    Montgomery Gentry
    Dierks Bentley
    Blake Shelton

Hank Williams, alpha omega!

But also, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle...I'm sure there's more but I just can't think of them right now. I had a phase where all I listened to was country or alt-country but right now I'm in a Springsteen/British rap phase so I'm a little rusty.

ETA I like Hank Williams III also.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    George Jones hands down, then Willie and then Merle.

New guys, Charlie Robison and Chris Knight.
    The Possum. There is no other. (Though yes, I like Willie, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The Possum. There is no other. (Though yes, I like Willie, too).
    I knew of Jones from older folks, TV and such... then one day I saw him on TV and his voice ripped into me... I probably own 25 GJ CD's now... give me the Billy Sherrill Years any day of the week.

Man Pills

I knew of Jones from older folks, TV and such... then one day I saw him on TV and his voice ripped into me... I probably own 25 GJ CD's now... give me the Billy Sherrill Years any day of the week.
    I saw George live twice when I lived in Nashville. And saw him at the Green Hills Mall, debated pestering him for an autograph, thought the better of it--but still stalked him through the mall.

I saw George live twice when I lived in Nashville. And saw him at the Green Hills Mall, debated pestering him for an autograph, thought the better of it--but still stalked him through the mall.
    I've seen him twice, and in two places that were so disimilar that it's funny in retrospect.

The first was in Georgia, about 60 miles north of Atlanta, drove on 400 until the road turned to 2 lane (that's the road Smokey and the Bandit was filmed on) then the concert was at this stage under an open air barn without walls, there were bails of hay, little kids in gingham and men with overalls and no shirts.

The second time was at a small theater on Nob Hill in San Francisco, we had to park at one of the 5 Star Hotels like the Fairmont and the show was full of overly educated white folks in evening garb.

Man Pills

I've seen him twice, and in two places that were so disimilar that it's funny in retrospect.

The first was in Georgia, about 60 miles north of Atlanta, drove on 400 until the road turned to 2 lane (that's the road Smokey and the Bandit was filmed on) then the concert was at this stage under an open air barn without walls, there were bails of hay, little kids in gingham and men with overalls and no shirts.

The second time was at a small theater on Nob Hill in San Francisco, we had to park at one of the 5 Star Hotels like the Fairmont and the show was full of overly educated white folks in evening garb.
    I saw him at Opryland--then afterwards rode the Wabash Cannonball and the Little Deuce Coupe.

I saw him at Opryland--then afterwards rode the Wabash Cannonball and the Little Deuce Coupe.
    My wife got her purse stolen at Opryland, she was on a business trip... lucky for her I was at home to get her paperwork togather.

Man Pills

My wife got her purse stolen at Opryland, she was on a business trip... lucky for her I was at home to get her paperwork togather.
    Alas, Opryland is no more...now it's Shopryland.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

FCB, I used to live in Green Hills. Ever go to the Blubird Cafe? Was a big hangout for future singers and songwriters. Never saw George there but saw him a lot at the Hall of Fame bar in the Best Western on 16th avenue.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    FCB, I used to live in Green Hills. Ever go to the Blubird Cafe? Was a big hangout for future singers and songwriters. Never saw George there but saw him a lot at the Hall of Fame bar in the Best Western on 16th avenue.
    No, I've never been to the Blubird. I've seen it. My wife's folks lived in Green Hills--we lived over by Belmont in an apartment (second year of our marriage).

A lot of good singers to choose from in this thread...personally, I'm a big fan of Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, the Flatlanders (especially Joe Ely), and Hank III. Lately, though, I've been listening to a lot of Rodney Crowell. His last three albums -- The Houston Kid, Fate's Right Hand, and The Outsider -- are all outstanding. Based on sheer quality, they remind of the string of great albums that Steve Earle put out beginning with Train A Comin' that helped to revive his career.

Turn Off Ads?