Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Notes: Frustrated Griffey sits again

Reds Notes: Frustrated Griffey sits again

Reds Notes: Frustrated Griffey sits again

ST. LOUIS — Ken Griffey Jr. walked to his locker at 9:30 Sunday morning, fresh from the training room, and plopped into his chair.

“Why me?” he said, shaking his head. “Why is it always me?”

It isn’t always Griffey getting hurt, but to him it has to seem that way as he missed his fourth straight start Sunday in St. Louis with tightness behind his right knee.

“They rub it out, it comes back. They rub it out, it comes back,” he said. “We didn’t rub it out today to see how that works. It is like a knot in there, like a charley horse, and it feels like it goes right over a tendon.”

Griffey said he has full flexibility in the knee and full strength and he has been able to run a little more each day.

“It’s just frustrating,” he said. “I have to spend so much time in my least favorite place — the training room.”

There have been rumblings that Griffey’s injury is more serious than the team is willing to admit, the way last year’s injury was downplayed right up until the day it was announced he was having surgery.

Manager Jerry Narron says it isn’t so.

“If it was worse than we’re letting on he wouldn’t be here,” he said. “It is really day-to-day and we’ll see what Dr. (Tim) Kremchek says when we get home and he looks at him (today) to see why he has that tightness. If I had gone through what he has with those surgeries and I felt tight I wouldn’t want to be taking any chances.”

The glove collector

When Ryan Freel starts, whether he has played second base for center field, the Reds are 6-1. And they are 6-1 when he bats leadoff, but 1-3 when Tony Womack bats leadoff.

As a Man for All Positions, Freel has six gloves — three gamers and three backups. His outfield glove, the biggest glove, belonged to Adam Dunn. His third base glove, a medium-sized glove, belonged to former Reds third baseman Brandon Larson. The smallest glove, the second base glove is his own.

Why is he using gloves formerly owned by Dunn and Larson?

“I’ve played this game for nearly 25 years and never learned how to break in a glove,” he said. “That’s why I use other people’s. I stole Dunn’s glove out of his locker and I took Larson’s when he was on the DL and I said, ‘I’ll take this, you aren’t going to use it.’”

About using his own glove for second base, he said, “I broke it in myself and I hate it. It stinks.”

Timing is everything

Shortstop Felipe Lopez has two stolen bases, three behind league-leading teammate Ryan Freel. While Freel can free-wheel, Lopez is on a leash.

“I want Lopez to run when he can make it, not run just to run,” said Narron. “With Griffey and Dunn hitting behind him, he can score from first just as easily as second, maybe easier. I’d like to see him steal 15 bases and get thrown out once rather than steal 20 and get throw out 12 times.

“What he has to learn is when he doesn’t get a good jump, doesn’t get that first quick step, just shut it down. He doesn’t have great speed, so he has to read the pitcher right and get a great jump. Billy Hatcher (first base coach) will be of great help to him.”

Facing the Minnows

The Reds return home tonight for a brief three-game series against the Florida Minnows, who may have four players fans might recognize. They have 15 players making the $330,000 major-league minimum on their 25-man roster. The entire roster is paid only $14.5 million.

Florida’s rotation for the series is Brian Moehler (0-2, 13.50), Jason Vargas (12-1, 5.73) and lefthanded All-Star Dontrelle Willis (1-0, 1.93).

Brandon Claussen pitches for the Reds and he shut out the Marlins last April on one hit over 5 2/3 innings in Dolphins Stadium, but a year later the only Florida hitter Claussen ever has faced is first baseman Wes Helms, who is 6-for-10 with a home run.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sp...redsnotes.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Notes: Frustrated Griffey sits again

Reds notebook

Injured Griffey day-to-day; Narron insists center fielder is not seriously hurt
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

ST. LOUIS - Reds manager Jerry Narron heard the talk that Ken Griffey Jr. is injured worse than the Reds have revealed.

Narron said even if you don't believe what the Reds have said, the circumstantial evidence indicates they are being forthright.

"If it was worse than we're letting on, he wouldn't be here," Narron said. "Seriously, it's day-to-day. We'll see what Dr. (Tim) Kremchek says (today) when he sees him."

That said, if Griffey didn't have the medical history he has, he might have been back by now.

"Anybody who went through what (Griffey) did with surgery wouldn't want to be taking any chances," Narron said. "So I don't blame him. He's available to pinch-hit. He's just not available to run."

KEARNS MOVING UP: Austin Kearns batted fifth Sunday. It was the first time he batted anywhere other than sixth or seventh in the order this season.

"He's been swinging well," Narron said. "I thought about putting him up higher. But he's hitting well at sixth or seventh. I really didn't want to mess with it."

Kearns responded by going 2-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. Kearns is hitting .340 with four home runs and 11 RBI. He is tied with Adam Dunn for the team lead in RBI.

BELISLE SOLID: The good news about Dave Williams' rough day Saturday was that right-hander Matt Belisle came in and threw three innings of two-hit shutout baseball.

"Three innings like he gave is outstanding," Narron said. "I think (Mike) Burns could possibly to do the same thing."

Belisle's background is as a starter. He would be the player to move into the rotation should Williams falter in the fifth spot.

DO RUN, RUN: It's no surprise that Ryan Freel went into Sunday leading the National League in stolen bases with seven. Speed is Freel's game.

But it is surprising that Felipe Lopez went into the day tied for second with four. Lopez stole only 15 last season.

Narron is more interested in Lopez's success rate than his total.

"I talked to Felipe about running when he can make it," Narron said. "I don't want him to run. You've got Griffey and Dunn behind you; they can drive you in just as quickly from first as they can from second.

"The big thing I talked to Felipe about is to steal 15 bases and get thrown out once or twice, instead of stealing 20 and getting thrown out 12."

Lopez is 4-for-4; he was 15-for-22 last year.

Narron wants Lopez to run - smartly.

"We've got to be aggressive," Narron said. 'There are times when we've got to take chances because we're going to see good pitching," Narron said. "You cannot sit and wait for the home run all the time."

Again, Narron wants Lopez to think before taking off.

"Felipe's got to learn when he doesn't get a good jump to shut it down," Narron said. "There's a lot about stealing bases if you don't have great speed. He's not a burner. He's got to read a pitcher right and get a good jump to steal bases."

1962, NO, '63: Aaron Harang became the first Reds pitcher to a win a 1-0 game and drive in the only run since Johnny Klippstein, who did it Aug. 6, 1962.

An item in Sunday's notebook incorrectly said 1963.

FARM REPORT: Johnny Cueto, a 20-year-old right-hander, pitched six innings of one-hit, shutout ball in Single-A Dayton's 5-4 loss to Fort Wayne Saturday.

Cueto, from the Dominican Republic, struck out eight and walked none.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604170373/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

"He's been swinging well," Narron said. "I thought about putting him up higher. But he's hitting well at sixth or seventh. I really didn't want to mess with it."
    Yeah, because the guys who had been hitting 5th, or behind Dunn, have been red hot so far. Hopefully, JN will leave Kearns in that 5 slot for awhile.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Yeah, because the guys who had been hitting 5th, or behind Dunn, have been red hot so far. Hopefully, JN will leave Kearns in that 5 slot for awhile.
    With Griffey not in the lineup, the lineup SHOULD be a no-brainer:

CF: Ryan Freel
    SS: Felipe Lopez
    LF: Adam Dunn
    RF: Austin Kearns
    1B: Rich Aurillia/Scott Hatteberg
    3B: Edwin Encarnacion
    2B: Brandon Phillips/Tony Womack
    C: Javier Valentin
    P: Pitcher

A hot Kearns in the #4 hole helps Dunn see better pitches at #3.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

If they keep rubbing it out and it keeps coming back, it's more serious than they're letting on.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor

I agree. Replacing Valentin with Larue is hopefully around the corner as well.

Reading that literally brought a tear to my ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor

Someone steal JN's lineup card and replace it with CE's.

I might bump up EE in front of Richie. He needs all the protection he can get.

“I want Lopez to run when he can make it, not run just to run,” said Narron. “With Griffey and Dunn hitting behind him, he can score from first just as easily as second, maybe easier. I’d like to see him steal 15 bases and get thrown out once rather than steal 20 and get throw out 12 times.
    Statements like these almost make me want to trust Jerry Narron. Then he goes and blows it by doing something stupid like sitting Freel in favor of Womack.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Someone steal JN's lineup card and replace it with CE's.
    Jerry would notice the lack of scrappy in the top spots
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    If they keep rubbing it out and it keeps coming back, it's more serious than they're letting on.
    Whenever I rub one out, ahhhhhhh, nevermind.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Whenever I rub one out, ahhhhhhh, nevermind.

I think I might be scarred for life now. Thanks Puffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I think I might be scarred for life now. Thanks Puffy.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Poor Griffs... Hope his knee gets better soon... We damn sure could use it.

Tonight will be very telling, I think. He was supposed to meet with Krimcheck today and if he still isn't in the lineup tonight, I think we can officially start "reading into things."
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?