Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Time for Griffey to play 1B

Time for Griffey to play 1B

I just think it's that time in his career to make the move. It's tough to do it now that the season has started and they won't, but I think he needs to start working on it and maybe get into some blowout game at 1B to get ready for next season.

I love Griffey and hope he stays a Red, but he hurt himself shagging flyballs. We don't have a true 1B anyways and Freel could stay in CF. Play Aurilia at 2B and here's your line up.

Freel
    Lopez
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Kearns
    EE
    Aurlia
    Valentine/LaRue

Can we just say wow! That's a great line up.

I am going on this idea as I have been told he was a good infielder. Now, if he sucks then no, but I would think he would be athletic enough. He's a lefty and if I recall he said one time he was a better infielder. Well, I don't know about that, but I personally think it time. Any thoughts!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time for Griffey to play 1B

He would have done the same thing as a first baseman. He still would have been out there catching batting practice balls.

No.

Griffey to left Dunn to 1st. IMO, Junior would be a GREAT defensive left fielder. If he gets to it, it is money in the bank he is going to catch it. Only problem for him is range.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Who knows. I know he can get hurt in practice, etc. I have always said this same argument, but I think now he needs to save those legs and lessen the opportunities to get hurt.

Reds44. LF gets a lot of action too! I'm not sure Dunn will even play 1b. It's been weird that he hasn't even had a start there. I've never seen griff play the IF, but if he is as good as I've heard in the past I think it's time.

Well, a move is likely going to happen sooner or later - but there is no way he'd ever move to a different position midseason after playing his whole career in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Well, a move is likely going to happen sooner or later - but there is no way he'd ever move to a different position midseason after playing his whole career in CF.

I agree with you! They also love Hateberg and now Aurilia getting some time. I just think it's time for 1st or at least LF, but then I'm not sure what you do with the rest of the team assuming Dunn won't go to 1B. I guess AK can play CF, but then move Dunn to RF. OUCH.

No spot on the field will keep him any healthier, we should put him in a spot that his D won't be so bad, LF.
    Go Gators!

Yeah, we've talked about it on RedsZone for a while. The Reds' medical staff and KGJ himself seem to think that the stretching required for a first baseman would be harder on his legs than the sprinting and stopping in the OF.

I can't say I agree with that thinking, but they're the doctors.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?