Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was Littlefield thinking,or was he??

What was Littlefield thinking,or was he??

Pirates | Littlefield admits letting Shelton go was a mistake

Jason Beck, of Tigers.MLB.com, reports Pittsburgh Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield admitted to MLB.com's Ed Eagle that letting go of former Pirates 1B Chris Shelton, now with the Detroit Tigers, was a mistake. The Pirates left Shelton off the 40-man roster in 2003, exposing him to the Rule 5 draft. Littlefield said the team liked his bat, but was not confident in his defense and where he would be able to play. Littlefield added, "In retrospect, it was a mistake. If I had it to do overall again we certainly wouldn't have [left Shelton unprotected]. As we are now seeing, the power is obviously there. I tip my cap to Chris. He's obviously performing well and I hear he's improved his defense as well."

Pirates need to get rid of this GM if they ever want the Pirates to start winning again!!!!
    Last edited by WVPacman; 04-18-2006 at 01:12 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What was Littlefield thinking,or was he??

Nobody ever said Littlefield was a smart man...

It was a dumb move back then and it looks worse now. Shelton was coming off a year in which he hit .359/.478/.641 with 21 homeruns in 390 plate appearances with the Pirates High-A squad. He was then subsequently left exposed in the Rule-5 draft where the Tigers scooped him up...and the rest is history. Another in the long line of dumb moves by Littlefield.

Imagine if the Pirates still had Shelton and Aramis Ramirez, or if he had actually gotten something decent in return for Ramirez.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Yet they just gave him an extension. Longest current string of losing seasons and vying for a major league record and they tell him "good job, keep up the good work."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Tough job, one mistake like this one will kill ya.

and don't forget the huge extension for Jack Wilson, the doing the best you can to not play Craig Wilson...the resigning of Randall Simon...the contract extension given to Lloyd McClendon only to later on that year have ownership fire him for you...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Could be worse, he could have let Johan Santana go in the rule 5 like the Astros did.

Oh, btw, here are some of the players the Pirates protected over Chris Shelton: Carlos Rivera, Chris Stynes, Randall Simon, Abraham Nunez, Tike Redmond and Mike Lincoln. What a crew.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

The really amazing thing was the Pirates had only 37 players on the 40 man roster going into the draft.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I heard Shelton was a catcher at the time but wasn't very good. The Pirates planned on moving him to another position and didn't think anyone would take him in the draft.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

"Davey, you're doing a heck of a job."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Nobody ever said Littlefield was a smart man...
    Chili did.... but then again he's his MLB contact.

IIRC, BA identified Shelton as the top available prospect in that Rule 5 draft and was amazed Pittsburgh didn't protect him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    IIRC, BA identified Shelton as the top available prospect in that Rule 5 draft and was amazed Pittsburgh didn't protect him.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0rulefive.html

Three of the first four players drafted last year were Pirates, and Pittsburgh lost Chris Shelton (Tigers) and righthander Jeff Bennett (Brewers) but got everyone else back. While they didn't want to lose those players, farm director Brian Graham said that's what happens to a club committed to rebuilding from within.

"I don't think what happened last year changed our philosophy in putting our 40-man roster together," he said. "When you're an organization like ours or like the Indians for that matter that is player-development oriented, you realize you valuable young players are, and you realize you have a lot of players that you'd like to protect.

"The number of Rule 5 failures far outweighs the successes. But you'll take those failures to hit on a big success."

Ah, Brian Graham. The guy who was almost manager of the Reds.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Thank goodness for Littlefield, we will never finish 6th.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?