Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-fans get the premium seats, and this guy is frustrated by it

Non-fans get the premium seats, and this guy is frustrated by it

http://www.tmnews.com/articles/2006/...s/sports43.txt

By Sean Duncan, sean@tmnews.com
    Monday, April 17, 2006 11:59 AM CDT

It never ceases to amaze me how people with absolutely no interest in the game of baseball end up with some of the best seats in the park.

In the past, like many of you, I have voiced my displeasure of watching a game on television and being annoyed when I see the inevitable fan talking on their cell phone and waving to a camera.

They are completely oblivious to the action on the field, they just have to be seen in their high-priced seats wearing a team hat they more than likely purchased moments earlier and won't be able to find two weeks later.

It is safe to say the majority of these misfits are not only not fans of the teams they are watching, but of the game of baseball itself. It's just the “cool” thing to do.

These premium seats have not been held by true fans for many years, like most things in this country they have been consumed by corporate America as entertainment tools.

The avid follower of the game looks down on these inappreciative fortunate few and last week in Chicago, at historic Wrigley Field, my wife, Laura, the arch enemy of baseball, was right in the thick of it.

My wife's job as music director at WTTS takes her to the Windy City quite often for concerts. On this occasion she was in town to catch David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) and before the show was invited to a Cubs-Cincinnati Reds game.

Her seat? The 13th row right behind home plate.

One of baseball's biggest non-fans walked into arguably the greatest park in the country and sat down - completely uninterested in the action on the field before, during or after the game - in the 13th row behind home plate.

Green with envy, I asked my lovely better half a few questions about her experience, or lack thereof, at Wrigley:

Q: Do you know the Cubs' record?

A: No. Why would I know the Cubs record?

Right now you can see where this is going.

Q: On the way in did you buy a program?

A: No. Why would I buy a program?

Because without a program, especially for you honey, they're just a bunch of guys running around in shirts with numbers on their backs.

Q: During the game, did you keep track of the score?

A: No. I couldn't see the old scoreboard in centerfield and the new ones on the sides were too sideways to read.

Geez...

Q: Were there any home runs hit in the game by either team?

A: I don't know. I know the Cubs tried to get a home run a couple of times, but it went across the white line.

Way to go, baby.

Q: Did you see Derrek Lee?

A: Who is Derrek Lee?

Oh, boy.

Q: Did you know what the final score was?

A: I knew what the final score was, I didn't know who was winning.

Thanks for driving my point home.

Q: What was your most memorable moment?

A: The unique way a vendor yelled, "Hotdog!" You could even hear him when he was out in the bleacher seats.

Ah, the bleacher seats. That's where the true Chicago fans are.

She did score a few points on other questions.

Q: Did you get a Chicago Dog?

A: Yes.

Great job, darling. Two points.

Q: How about an Old Style?

Roll, baby, roll. Two more points.

Q: Did you stand to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch?

There might be hope for her yet.

Q: Did you add Harry Caray's famous ending, "Let's get some runs"?

A: Whatever.

She says that a lot.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Non-fans get the premium seats, and this guy is frustrated by it

I don't necessarily agree with the points the guy makes, but on the other hand, there are some cities (such as Cincinnati and Pittsburgh) where you can still go to a poorly-attended game on a weeknight and get some really good seats from a scalper, provided that is legal in the city in question. Just maybe not Wrigley or Fenway or a few other places.

The funding for these big, new epxensive ballparks has to come from somewhere.. The owners bank on a certain percentage of revenue coming from corporate season tickets and luxury suites...like it or not, to get businesses to pony up the kind of cash the team is counting on, the best seats frequently have to be made available.

You don't have to like it, but that's the business of baseball. And like macro said, frequently great seats are available from scalpers, provided you're willing to pay.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I thought people in those expensive seats were just there to get on their cells and wave at the camera?
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I like the general point, but I had 7th row seats in the section directly to the left of the one behind home plate for last Thursday's Reds/Cubs game in Wrigley. The ticket cost me $34. Now that's not cheap to be sure. If I was going to go to 40 games this year, I wouldn't sit there every day. But it's not like the seat was inaccessible, unavailble, or astronomically priced.

The problem with those great seats is that they have to be allocated somehow. How do you do that? Do they go to only season ticket holders with the longest tenure? That says something about your attendence but little about your knowledge or level of fandom. It would be still be held by corporations and would sit empty more than other seats. Do you take a test to measure your level of fandom? Good luck with that...

There's really no way to allocated them in a way which benefits both the fan and the organization. My solution? Make ~50% of the prime tickets an average price (20 bucks) and make the sections general admission -- if only for some subset of games. You want a good seat together with friends and family? Get there early. You want a guaranteed prime seat, arrive 5 minutes before first pitch and leave in the 7th inning, you pay for it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I always wondered how a sportswriter from Bedford, Indiana could get read around the country myself.

Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I like the general point, but I had 7th row seats in the section directly to the left of the one behind home plate for last Thursday's Reds/Cubs game in Wrigley. The ticket cost me $34.
    Rick, if you don't mind my asking, how did you come up with such a good seat to the game at what must have been little over face value?

Man...Lemme tell ya a thing or two about those primo seats.

I got to sit down there because I won a raffle (actually, my friend is the music editor of the paper that was holding the thing, and I whined and cried when I didn't win....Nobody claimed 'em so I got 'em anyway!) a couple of years back.

Anyway, I KINDA felt like the only real fan down there, but there were some women that really seemed interested in the players, though. Lots of 'em, in fact.

I'm convinced that those seats were created for those "ladies in waiting", and nobody can tell me they aren't.

Baseball players always get the best chicks.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Rick, if you don't mind my asking, how did you come up with such a good seat to the game at what must have been little over face value?
    Cubs tickets simply aren't in that much demand in April against the Reds. I bought in online through mlb.com on the Monday before the game.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Cubs tickets simply aren't in that much demand in April against the Reds. I bought in online through mlb.com on the Monday before the game.
    That shocks me! I just assumed the whole place was sold out for 81 games to season ticket holders. I assume that they're not so easy to come by when the threat of cold weather has passed?

Actually for Wed's games I had 1st row tickets waay down the RF line (you could see my in my orange FeLo jersey all-star game when Pagan made the catch to end it), and i had like 9th row seats behind the Reds dugout for Thursdays games. Stub hub for Wed., my dad got free ones for Thursday.

I can tell you basically everyhting that happend fromt he beginning of BP, till the end of the game.

However for the most pasrt, this article is accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

it's sad to say, corporate or not, to most people baseball is on the same level as the NHL...I never have a problem to fill my fantasy football league, but come baseball season it is like pulling teeth...."i don't like baseball," "it's too boring," "season is too long," etc...

Quote Originally Posted by butlerbulldogs
    it's sad to say, corporate or not, to most people baseball is on the same level as the NHL...I never have a problem to fill my fantasy football league, but come baseball season it is like pulling teeth...."i don't like baseball," "it's too boring," "season is too long," etc...
    poppycock!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    That shocks me! I just assumed the whole place was sold out for 81 games to season ticket holders. I assume that they're not so easy to come by when the threat of cold weather has passed?
    They do become higher demand when the weather gets warmer. It was also a day game which makes it easier to get a ticket. Plus I only needed a single ticket. Getting a few tickets together is probably much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    poppycock!
    I like this insult, has class..like Brandon Phillips
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?