Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Griffey going on DL really hurt us?

Does Griffey going on DL really hurt us?

Ok, I'll say it. I think you could make the case that Griffey going on the DL doesn't hurt the team that much.

1. Freel becomes CF and he has much more range than Griffey. I would guess a full 1 or 1.5 wins differnce (regarding defense). All this is assuming that Griffey's defense cost about -30 hits per year. You couple that with Freel being an average CF and i think it adds up to about 1.5 wins.

2. My best guess is there's a 1 win difference between Griffey and Freel offensively.

If all this is true, then a case could be made that there's an even exchange, Freel for Griffey.

3. Moving Freel to CF opens up 2nd base thus allowing Phillips to play full-time. The difference between Freel and Phillips is close to an even exchange. Freel and Phillips are essentially the same player offensively with Freel having an edge. I would think Phillps is better at defense and, i know he can turn the double play better than Freel.

Long term. The only real negative effect it has is possibly giving Tony Womack more ab's. I'm hoping Narron bats Aurilla instead. If they cut Womack today (per LaRue) then things really shape up.

The Griffey injury ain't gonna hurt this team that much....maybe not at all.

All this would change if they put Griffey in left and moved AD to first, but as of this configuration....we are fine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does Griffey going on DL really hurt us?

It hurts, but the offense is good enough without him to make it not matter much.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    Ok, I'll say it. I think you could make the case that Griffey going on the DL doesn't hurt the team that much.
    Not all that much. It depends on where the ABs go. The less Womack the better. The best answer is Denorfia in CF and Freel at 2nd but we know that won't happen.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    Freel and Phillips are essentially the same player offensively .

There is no way that I can agree with that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    There is no way that I can agree with that.
    nor is there any evidence for that. Phillips has shown himself to be OBP challenged. Doesn't mean that Phillips couldn't improve because Freel certainly has shown more OBP skills in the majors than he did in the minors.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Meant to say esentially the same value overall. My guess is they are closer than first appearance.

1. GABP is a slight hitters park
    2. Buffalo (iirc) is a pitchers park in a pitchers league.
    3. Phillips is 24 and could make some slight gains (5-10%).
    4. He has more power than Freel.

Overall, there ain't that much difference.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Not all that much. It depends on where the ABs go. The less Womack the better. The best answer is Denorfia in CF and Freel at 2nd but we know that won't happen.
    It is stunning to me that this obvious move cannot be made by Krivsky. Womack is a $1M writeoff. DFA him yesterday.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    It is stunning to me that this obvious move cannot be made by Krivsky. Womack is a $1M writeoff. DFA him yesterday.
    With Jr. on the DL, though, you don't need to now. It would be a great move but activating LaRue takes Jr.'s spot.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

So, in effect, we're rooting for Junior toc ome back quickly NOT necessarily because it would be great to have him back in the lineup, but because it hastens the possibility of Womack getting DFA'd?

I LOVE being a fan of this team.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Depends, does this lead to Phillips getting time at 2nd with Freel on the OF, or does it lead to McCraken and Womack getting a lot of time?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    So, in effect, we're rooting for Junior toc ome back quickly NOT necessarily because it would be great to have him back in the lineup, but because it hastens the possibility of Womack getting DFA'd?

I LOVE being a fan of this team.
    Word.

We aim for the little plesures.
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Womack has not started since April 12. With Freel playing the way he is, I think we're seeing Narron recognize who the more valuable player is. I'm sure Freel we'll see the occasional day off, but I think Womack and Phillips are the better playing time comps at this point.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Womack has not started since April 12. With Freel playing the way he is, I think we're seeing Narron recognize who the more valuable player is. I'm sure Freel we'll see the occasional day off, but I think Womack and Phillips are the better playing time comps at this point.
    Didn't Womack start at 2B and bat eighth in the Reds' 1-0 win at St. Louis on April 14?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Yeah.

I still like Phillips there better.
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    Didn't Womack start at 2B and bat eighth in the Reds' 1-0 win at St. Louis on April 14?
    I stand corrected. He only got 1 AB which threw me off looking at the game log. He managed an AB and then was replaced by Aurilia for his 3rd AB. I think the general point remains -- Womack is not considered THE starter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?