Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! My roster's a friggin' mess....

Re: Help! My roster's a friggin' mess....

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    I just picked up Hawpe from the free agent wire about a two weeks ago. I was wondering why you don't like him, or more importantly, am I missing something with him?
    No, you're not missing anything.

I'm hating him because I can't decide what to do with him. On paper, it would appear that he's my weakest offensive player, but he's producing, moreso than Holliday at this point.

I'm just not sure what to expect out of Holliday or Hawpe at this point. I don't know whether I should try and trade Hawpe, while his value is high, or ride it out and then dump him when his numbers start to go down, or keep him and enjoy a good offensive season from him. With Holliday, I'm not sure if this is a sophmore slump, or whether he'll rebound and put up really good numbers... They're both capable of anything, I suppose.

My trade of Bonderman, Furcal, and Hawpe for Jeter and Cliff Lee was turned down.

I'm going to see if he'll take Bonderman and Furcal for Jeter by himself. If not, I'm not sure what to do. I'll probably drop Bonderman and pick up an offensive bench player.

I also have Coco Crisp on the DL. I'm not sure who to drop to activate him, especially if Hawpe, and Holliday continue to produce like they are now, and the player I pick up for Bonderman is continuing to produce. I'd hate to lose Holliday's power for Crisp's SB's, runs, and hits.

If I could trade for Jeter, I think my team wouldn't suffer as much dropping Holliday or Hawpe and activating Crisp because Jeter produces more HR and RBI than Furcal....

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You might try offering Furcal and Harden for Jeter and a lesser pitcher. One question, has he ever offered a counter deal with Jeter involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    You might try offering Furcal and Harden for Jeter and a lesser pitcher. One question, has he ever offered a counter deal with Jeter involved?
    No, he hasn't countered at all just says "not interested in that one, but I'm willing to listen" in all of his replies.

Harden will not be included in this deal, in any way.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    No, he hasn't countered at all just says "not interested in that one, but I'm willing to listen" in all of his replies.

Harden will not be included in this deal, in any way.
    Just ask him flat out what he wants for Jeter. If he can't give you a definite answer then you ain't gonna get him. Of course he may be one of those mealy mouth punks who shoot down a reasonable offer from one owner and take a less reasonable offer from another. Problem is, he knows how bad you want him. You may have to give up Harden to get him.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

At this point I would do 1 of 2 things (if you already haven't done them)
    1-I would flat out say "what is it you want for Jeter?"
    2-I would back way off and let him come to you. He knows you are interested, he may just be waiting to see how lopsided a deal you are willing to make. Like the kind of deal you usually see less experienced fantasy players make to get their favorite player on their team. Your team is still solid-as they say sometimes the deals you don't make are the best ones
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    At this point I would do 1 of 2 things (if you already haven't done them)
    1-I would flat out say "what is it you want for Jeter?"
    2-I would back way off and let him come to you. He knows you are interested, he may just be waiting to see how lopsided a deal you are willing to make. Like the kind of deal you usually see less experienced fantasy players make to get their favorite player on their team.

Yeah, I have reached my cut off point. I told him "this is my final offer, Bonderman and Furcal for Jeter. If you aren't interested, that's fine, but this is the last offer I'm making."

And it is. It's not that I want "Jeter" that bad, I just want a somewhat equal return for Furcal. The owner that has Felipe won't deal, and the owner that has Rollins won't deal. The only owner that has said that he'd deal has Jhonny Peralta, and I'm not sure that he'll even come close to last years numbers. If I was more than 50% sure he would, I'd deal Furcal and maybe Holliday or Hawpe for Peralta and maybe Jorge Cantu or Eric Chavez.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Have you offered Furcal for Peralta straight up? That's a fair deal. The Indians would not have given a long term deal to Peralta if they thought he wasn't going to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Have you offered Furcal for Peralta straight up? That's a fair deal. The Indians would not have given a long term deal to Peralta if they thought he wasn't going to do it again.
    No. I don't think that's a fair deal.

With that team it would have to be Furcal and Hawpe / Holliday for Peralta and Cantu / E. Chavez.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He accepted.

Bonderman and Furcal for Jeter.

Now that he has Furcal, he's going to try and deal Crawford and Pierre in sepearate deals for power bats, which I think is a smart move on his part.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

You got the best end of that deal.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    You got the best end of that deal.
    Looking at their numbers last year.

Furcal hit 12 HR's, Jeter hit 19.
    Furcal had 58 RBI, Jeter had 70.
    Furcal had 46 SB's, Jeter had 14.

Now, I think Furcal's HR's will go down because of playing in Chavez Ravine, and its possible Jeter's will go up maybe 2-3 to get him in the 20's, but I think Jeter needs to steal at least 20 bags for this to be a surefire win trade for me, and that doesn't even take Bonderman into consideration. If he somehow "gets it" at some point this season and becomes more consistent, this may end up actually being a loss for me.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Nah. Jeter will outperform Furcal in every category except SBs. Your league counts OPS, too, and Jeter's will be around .835. Furcal's will be closer to .760.

It would take a sudden, dramatic decline in performance for Jeter to drop to Furcal's level.

And Bonderman is the type of pitcher you can replace with a waiver wire pickup.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Ok, so my Furcal and Bonderman for Jeter trade has been accepted.

Now another team in my league wants Jonny Gomes, and he wants him badly.

Players on his team that interest me:

J. Cantu, E. Chavez, J. Peralta, R. Winn, A. Rios, and R. Weeks.

I was going to pick up Rios when my trade went through, but he beat me to it. I'm now probably going to pick up Edwin Encarnacion.

Not sure if a Gomes for Cantu and Rios trade would work. He said that he's willing to do a 2-1 for Gomes, he just didn't specify players that he'd be willing to give up.

If I do a 2-1 of Gomes for 2 of his players, I won't be picking Edwin up.

Which 2 players would you try and get for Gomes, or would you just hold tight with what I have now:

C - V. Martinez
    1B - R. Sexson
    2B - C. Utley
    3B - M. Mora
    SS - D. Jeter
    OF - J. Bay
    OF - M. Holliday
    OF - B. Hawpe
    UT - T. Hafner
    UT - J. Gomes (or one of his players)
    BN - FA pickup (E. Encarnacion, R. Ibanez, C. Granderson, J. Gibbons) or other player in Gomes' deal.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

His initial offer was Jorge Cantu and Jhonny Peralta for Gomes.

Good deal for me, or should I stick with Gomes and Edwin, or counter and ask for Cantu and Rios, or Chavez and Rios, and forget Peralta since I now have Jeter?

-Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

take the deal
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?