Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! My roster's a friggin' mess....

Re: Help! My roster's a friggin' mess....

I'd keep Gomes. He'll OPS in the .950 range this season. He hits for average, power, and draws walks. The dude is a top 15 OF.

Cantu is allergic to walks. Rios is off to a good start, but he's unproven.

You don't need to make a deal now. Hold off.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    take the deal
    I like what I've heard of Cantu. Many people rave about his swing being similar to Manny's. He doesn't walk at all, though. I'm concerned about him taking a step back this year, less than Peralta, but there is still a concern there. His 2B/3B eligibility would be nice to have, though. Having Jeter now, I don't really have a need for Peralta, unless he really heats up, then I can deal him possibly down the road.

I've stated before that I think Gomes will be a monster this year, though. Maybe Travis Hafner circa 2005. He's walked a lot more this year than he has in the past. If that keeps that up, we'd surely be looking at a .950 OPS guy, if not more. That's invaluable. He OPS'd .906 last year and only drew 39 BB's in 348 AB's. He's already walked 13 times in 52 AB's this year. That's a big difference, and I'm not sure I want to give that up because I won't be getting the walks or OPS from anyone I'd be getting back.

On the surface, this really looks like a lopsided deal in my favor. If you look at the stats from last year - but I don't know about this year. Do you really think this is a good deal for me overall?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He OPS'd .906 last year and only drew 39 BB's in 348 AB's. He's already walked 13 times in 52 AB's this year. That's a big difference, and I'm not sure I want to give that up because I won't be getting the walks or OPS from anyone I'd be getting back.
    A BB rate over 10% is already very good -- it's a great rule of thumb when evaluating players. Gomes BB rate this year is even better. Those are the marks of an elite hitter, as are 7 HR in 52 ABs.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I'd keep Gomes. He'll OPS in the .950 range this season. He hits for average, power, and draws walks. The dude is a top 15 OF.

Cantu is allergic to walks. Rios is off to a good start, but he's unproven.

You don't need to make a deal now. Hold off.
    Thanks, Johnny. Kind of what I was thinking on Gomes. A 950+ OPS guy doesn't emerge on the waiver wire too often, and its difficult to replace in a trade, especially when you're trading a guy as "unknown" as Gomes.

The other positions I worry about are 2 OF spots and 3B, which is why I had some interest in Cantu. I have Melvin Mora now at 3B. I think M2 called for him to be the MVP of the AL this year. He is in a contract year. He's started slowly, but he is capable of being a monster, too. Only have to go back to 2004 to see that. I think if I keep Gomes and pick up Edwin, I should be alright at 3B, though.

As far as the OF, I have Coco Crisp on the DL, and he should be back in about 3 weeks. He can replace either Encarnacion, Hawpe or Holliday, whoever is producing the least.

I'm leaning toward: No deal.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    A BB rate over 10% is already very good -- it's a great rule of thumb when evaluating players. Gomes BB rate this year is even better. Those are the marks of an elite hitter, as are 7 HR in 52 ABs.
    Thanks, Johnny. That helps a bunch.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

While I agree with the math, the reasons I would do the deal are-OF's are generally easier to find than position players, especially one with multiple pos. eligibility. Also, I don't see OPS as an issue for your team especially with the addition of Jeter/subtraction of Furcal. BB's may be another story but you would have Peralta and Jeter at SS, plus you would have Cantu backing up Utley and Mora. You have depth in case of injury to your team or in case somebody else needs to trade for a quality IF.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?