Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future- its not as bleak as you think (my take)

The future- its not as bleak as you think (my take)

How long are Hatteberg, Womack and Aurillia's contracts? Are they up after this year? I ask because I for one think Brandon Phillips could be the real deal. He could finally fufill his once touted top-notch potential. And I say this knowing that I will be blasted for jumping to conclusions too early with such a small sample size and yadda yadda yadda. However, I loved this acquisition when it happened. For some reason, faded prospects have a way of flourishing in Cincinnati, and hopefully Brandon Phillips is the next in the line of Felipe Lopez, Jose Guillen, Juan Encarnacion, etc. While some have never found their luster like Ruben Mateo, Ruben Rivera, and Russ Branyan, the aforementioned have flourished into the allstar caliber players they were supposed to be when they were coming with other teams. If this is indeed the case, it would be scary to move Dunn to 1B (hence the Hatteberg/Aurillia/Womack question) and field a lineup of

CF Freel
    SS Lopez
    1B Dunn
    RF Kearns
    LF Griffey, Jr.
    3B Encarnacion
    2B Phillips
    C LaRue/Valentin/Ross/whoever

for the next 5-10 years. Everyone in that lineup is young enough to play (and play relatively inexpensively) for the next five years with the exception of Griffey. I also believe that we should lock Harang and Claussen up to longterm yet relatively cheap Bronson Arroyo-like contracts. With the above lineup set and those three teamed up with an already improved Eric Milton, we are truly one frontline starter away from being a Pennant contender. And with our first two promising young guns in some time coming up through the minors in Travis Wood and Homer Bailey, the future may not be as bleak as you think!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The future- its not as bleak as you think (my take)

I would throw Joey Votto in there for the future. He has started off hot this season and can hopefully bounce back and be ready in 07 to atleast play a bit for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I would throw Joey Votto in there for the future. He has started off hot this season and can hopefully bounce back and be ready in 07 to atleast play a bit for the Reds.
    Yep, I agree. My only point was that right now with no further acquisitions the Reds have all the major league proven guys at every position that they need. In a year or two when KGJ is done, hopefully Votto can take over 1B and we'll move Dunn back to the OF to take Jr's spot.
    Go BLUE!!!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    Everyone in that lineup is young enough to play (and play relatively inexpensively) for the next five years with the exception of Griffey. I also believe that we should lock Harang and Claussen up to longterm yet relatively cheap Bronson Arroyo-like contracts.
    Dunn and Lopez will make $50M plus each over the next 5 years.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Brandon Phillips bandwagon. I like what he's done thus far and I'd like to think a change of scenery will do him good, but the sample size is way too small. I think Freel is a more likely option at second base than Phillips, with Griffey moving either to first or left and Denorfia manning center. My lineup would look something like this:

2B Freel
    SS Lopez
    LF Dunn
    1B Griffey
    RF Kearns
    3B Encarnacion
    CF Denorfia
    C ???

I left the catcher spot open because I feel like the Reds biggest need beyond pitching is the cather position. LaRue has an awful lot of innings behind the plate and he's not getting any younger. I think going out and getting a young catcher with some good upside should be priority #2 ,right behind starting pitching. Something to think about: Atlanta has a young catcher coming in Jarrod Saltalamacchia that could either force a position switch or lead them to look to move Brian McCann. If neither become available (McCann is probably the more likely to be moved), there's a third guy in that system named Brayan Pena who is worth a look. If nothing else he can be part of a younger catching platoon, not unlike the LaRue/Valentin combo that the Reds currently employ.

I'll agree that the future looks somewhat promising, especially if Votto continues to hit and Jay Bruce gets fast-tracked like I think he will, but this organization's fortunes rest squarely on its ability to find pitching. I'm not so worried with the bullpen despite its current state because it has been proven that good bullpens can be built by taking advantage of freely-available talent. It's going to be bad this year, but I think it can improve by 2007. If the Reds can find a legit #1 or #2 then they might just have something with Harang, Arroyo, and Claussen.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Lopez will get it from someone else. He will not sign with the Reds.

The everyday lineup is not the problem.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Reds | LaRue to start Wednesday
    Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:19:44 -0700

Reds.MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports Cincinnati Reds C Jason LaRue is slated to start Wednesday, April 19. He was available to play Tuesday night, April 18, after being recalled, but he had already caught on consecutive days in his rehab stint and sat in favor of C David Ross. "As far as I know, I'm the starting catcher," said LaRue.

Read that last line guys,you think Larue is worried about his starting spot??
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Don't forget about Mr. Bergolla down in AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    One has a chance to give us a discount, hometown team and all that, the other is out of here if he keeps it up..sadly.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    One has a chance to give us a discount, hometown team and all that, the other is out of here if he keeps it up..sadly.
    Astrobuddy, is that you???
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

That's a flame!!!!
    Go Gators!

I said chance..not a guarantee that he's going to sign for the minimum
    Go Gators!

Lmao!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    How long are Hatteberg, Womack and Aurillia's contracts? Are they up after this year? I ask because I for one think Brandon Phillips could be the real deal. He could finally fufill his once touted top-notch potential. And I say this knowing that I will be blasted for jumping to conclusions too early with such a small sample size and yadda yadda yadda. However, I loved this acquisition when it happened. For some reason, faded prospects have a way of flourishing in Cincinnati, and hopefully Brandon Phillips is the next in the line of Felipe Lopez, Jose Guillen, Juan Encarnacion, etc. While some have never found their luster like Ruben Mateo, Ruben Rivera, and Russ Branyan, the aforementioned have flourished into the allstar caliber players they were supposed to be when they were coming with other teams. If this is indeed the case, it would be scary to move Dunn to 1B (hence the Hatteberg/Aurillia/Womack question) and field a lineup of

CF Freel
    SS Lopez
    1B Dunn
    RF Kearns
    LF Griffey, Jr.
    3B Encarnacion
    2B Phillips
    C LaRue/Valentin/Ross/whoever

for the next 5-10 years. Everyone in that lineup is young enough to play (and play relatively inexpensively) for the next five years with the exception of Griffey. I also believe that we should lock Harang and Claussen up to longterm yet relatively cheap Bronson Arroyo-like contracts. With the above lineup set and those three teamed up with an already improved Eric Milton, we are truly one frontline starter away from being a Pennant contender. And with our first two promising young guns in some time coming up through the minors in Travis Wood and Homer Bailey, the future may not be as bleak as you think!
    I read these posts in 2002, in 2003, and in 2004.

Phillips helps because the Reds need someone to catch the ball. But he's non-impact, the FO remains too meek to address the Griffey defense problem, the farm system is all fertilizer/no crop, and many more 2005s will happen before a 1999 does.

I read these posts in 2002, in 2003, and in 2004.
    veteran
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?