Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Idol 4/18 and 4/25

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: American Idol 4/18

Well, I guess I was wrong. Ace going home didn't surprise anyone, but having Chris and Paris as the other two of the bottom three sure did. I hadn't realized it, but apparently Chris has been slipping for a few weeks now. And I way underestimated Pickler's voting base.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

...and the odd thing it that I thought Chris did a better job last night than in any of the recent weeks. I guess his base wanted more Creed, huh?

Paris being there was no surprise, nor was Ace. I picked those two. But I was shocked that Elliott escaped while Chris was in the bottom three. Do you think that maybe Simon's comment to Elliott had the effect of mobilizing his voters to get on the phones?

I don't know how much of the voting is legit anyway. My kids tried to vote for Katharine for a half hour after the show and then an hour and a half later. Busy signal every time.

If the lines are busy all the time how much "real" voting is there? I mean, my kids didn't even get to vote for the person they wanted to vote for.

I'm not sure what to think about the whole voting thing.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If there's busy signal, that person is doing great. If you can get through, then that person is in trouble. There is software that can predict the outcome each week based on who is "busy" the most. If you can repeatedly get through, then no one is calling, hence less votes. It's legit.

I kinda feel bad for Ace. I ragged on him a lot, but he seems to be a nice guy. I just didn't think he was talented.

I also feel somewhat bad for Paris. She was probably the best performer this week and was likely the second from the bottom. Meanwhile, Pickler, who was horrendous and the worst of the week by a large margin, stil avoids even the bottom three. That kind of takes a little from the credibility of the show, IMO.

It's weird how quickly things change. When it was the top 24, everyone thought Paris was easily the front runner to win. Now she's likely to be gone next week, and no way she lasts more than two. In the beginning she was fun and her performances rocked. Then she sang "Wind Beneath My Wings." Someone as young and energetic as her needed to get votes from the younger people. But I think she really dug her grave with her Beyonce sexual gyration performance. Even though she did a good job, I think that performance lost her a lot of votes from the younger people and from anyone who thought she was "cute" or lovable. Right or wrong, I really believe that performance turned A LOT of people off. I know I looked at her completely differently after that, and not in a good way.

I like the talent level this year, but there's no one left that I really like a lot. I used to like Taylor a lot and still do to some degree, but it's been weeks since he's done anything I really liked that much. Katherine has mass talent, but she annoys the hell out of me. She seems very snooty. Elliott is good, but he's just missing something. Chris is fantastic, but I'm not a fan of his style of music. Pickler just isn't very good and her routine got old for me the second time I saw it. At this point, I really don't care who wins.

But I've lasted longer this season than the past two. I thought season 3 was WAY lame. I liked Latoya London, but I could have lived without just about all the others. Last year didn't do it for me either. Last year was the earliest I stopped watching. I wasn't a big Carrie fan, and of all the season, last year's was the obvious who was going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    If there's busy signal, that person is doing great. If you can get through, then that person is in trouble. There is software that can predict the outcome each week based on who is "busy" the most. If you can repeatedly get through, then no one is calling, hence less votes. It's legit.

I don't vote very often, but I did try to vote for Chris on Tuesday. I tried until about 10 and I could never get through. He was in the bottom 2 FWIW.

Unlimited text messaging is a wonderful thing.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27
    I don't vote very often, but I did try to vote for Chris on Tuesday. I tried until about 10 and I could never get through. He was in the bottom 2 FWIW.
    see? This is what I'm talking about. If everyone's line is busy like that...then what good is voting?

We've experienced similar things in our efforts to vote. I just don't get it.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Who got voted off?

(not that I care, it's just I can't really figure it out by reading this thread)
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Who got voted off?

(not that I care, it's just I can't really figure it out by reading this thread)
    Ace

My wife votes, I never have. FWIW, the week Mandisa got voted off, my wife tried to vote for her for over an hour and couldn't get through. she votes for several people every week multiple times and Mandisa was the only she couldn't get through to.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's a two-hour voting window. I have a feeling that the difference comes in the last 30-45 minutes, whose fan base keeps up the votes. Also the text messaging. (Someone on another board said Pickler's hometown had rigged something where people could text for free. Don't know about that, exactly.)

I tend to agree with the person who wrote that Kellie only finishing fourth in DialIdol in a week where her fans were in all-out Save Pickler! mode is not a great sign. They forgave her and rescued her, once, but may not be inclined to keep doing it if she doesn't pick it up. There are no more Aces left to sacrifice.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Maybe, but she had no problem with the others. That was also just one week. Normally she has no problem getting through for the people she's voting for.

Re: American Idol 4/18 and 4/25

Rather than start a new Idol thread this week, I'll just continue this one for the round of six...

Once again, Kellie was the worst of the bunch, and Taylor wasn't very good, either. The judges raved over Elliott and Chris, and didn't like the other four very much. I thought they were being a little too harsh to Katherine and Paris, and that each did fairly well.

Are they doing a "bottom three" again this week? If so, I'll go with Elliott, Paris, and Katherine, not because those three deserve it, but because that's how I think the votes will go. Based on performance, it should be Kellie, Taylor, and probably Elliott.

I really think that Elliott will go home this week.

And what about Paula Abdul? I have read speculation that she might be drinking in past weeks, based on her inability to assemble coherent sentences. But tonight she went off! Crying, standing up flailing her arms, just acting stranger than ever.

Re: American Idol 4/18 and 4/25

Paula was being very very weird. Definately on something.

As far as the performances go the best were Chris and Katherine in my opinion. I have no idea why they tore her apart so bad.

The worst I thought was Paris. Honestly I could barely listen to it I thought it was that bad. Started off too low and then she just oversang it so badly and was flat and ugh..awful.

Elliot was good but I didn't really like the song.
    Taylor was ok.
    Kelly chose a bad song. She will make it but badly badly needs to have a good performance next week.

And just a comment about the program in general. It seems like the producers or somebody just don't have it together. Ryan and the judges are constantly missing stuff and tripping over each other. It seems like they are taking the approach that they are a huge ratings giant and have gotten very lazy with the actual production of the show. Very poor at times.

Turn Off Ads?