Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lopez/Boras Question

Lopez/Boras Question

Considering the fact that Felipe Lopez is a free agent at the end of the year (and that Boras is his agent) what do you guys think his price tag will be if he puts up another year like year?

You have to think that Krivsky knows that Lopez is going to demand a good deal of money, so in reality, do you think he has any intentions of re-signing him?

Personally, I really wish Boras wasn't Felipe's agent because I'd love to see Felipe hit in the number 2 spot for a long while.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lopez/Boras Question

Felipe isn't a free agent until the end of 08 ( i think) it could be 07. Either way he has another year after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Oh, well then nevermind. I thought people were talking about how he is a free agent after this year. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Stocking
    Oh, well then nevermind. I thought people were talking about how he is a free agent after this year. Sorry.
    No problemo. Glad I could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Our best chance to deal him for moocho prospects might be this year, otherwise his salary will start to hurt bidders.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think it'd be foolish to just assume, as a matter of course, that his status as a Scott Boras client means he's completely unwilling to sign a deal prior to the start of his free agency years and/or that he's going to demand the sun, moon and stars for such a deal.

He's sitting less than a few lockers away from a man who could be the poster child of "It all can just slip away" in Ken Griffey Jr., and he himself has already had one nearly catastrophic injury in his career. A player like Felipe Lopez has to be acutely aware that he's one bad plant or one unlucky stumble out of the box from losing everything he's worked hard to get to.

Never underestimate the selling power of being financially set for life before age 30 -- especially in a profesison where fates and fortunes can fall so quickly.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I think it'd be foolish to just assume, as a matter of course, that his status as a Scott Boras client means he's completely unwilling to sign a deal prior to the start of his free agency years and/or that he's going to demand the sun, moon and stars for such a deal.
    other than the fact that when you hire Boras as your agent that's exactly what it means. Hiring Boras means you are a mercenary willing to go to whoever will pay the most money.

I'm sure he knows playing half his games in GAB helps his stats.........16 of his 23 dingers were hit at home last season......is he elgible for arbatration the next year 2 years then.........

I think this is a great post and there is nothing wrong with talking about this even if its a few years away. It is something that needs to be addressed I say by no later than the beginning of next season. I say its out of question to sign him to a deal that takes away any of his free agent years.

I was huge on Lopez until I heard he was a Boras player. As Soriano has shown us, Offense is everything. And if you have a middle infielder with great offese its even better.

To sum it up: Great offense+middle infielder+Boras+FA=Huge Payday.

So i see him going to a big market team. Maybe Dodgers if Guzman doesnt pan out for them by then. Not the Angels because of Brandon Wood. I say its possible for him to head up to the Cubs. Who knows what big market team he could end up at if they want to try him at 2B.

Something I know for sure is if we dont have the pitching worked out by 2008, then the bulk of our free agent money isnt going to Lopez. But this is all on the assumption that he continues to improve over the next few years.

Edit: Just found out that he will be a free agent after the 2008 season. So hes a Red atleast for 3 more years barring any trade.
    Last edited by Shaknb8k; 04-19-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k
    Maybe Dodgers if Guzman doesnt pan out for them by then.
    Furcal is the SS for the Dodgers. Guzman has been moved to the OF.

However, like you pointed out, a team willing to move him to second opens up possibilities but I would think he would resist the move(like Soriano) because it might impact his bottom line.

In Soriano's case he was so abysmal at 2nd, if he proves to be a good OF the move actually increases his potential payday and marketability.

Furcal's contract that he signed this offseason runs out at the end of 2008. So he would also be a FA. Thanks for the insight on Guzman. I hadnt heard much about him lately.

Turn Off Ads?