Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 5 Minor Leaguers Suspended For Steriod Use

5 Minor Leaguers Suspended For Steriod Use

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2413003

NEW YORK -- Arizona Diamondbacks minor-league pitcher Angel Rocha was suspended for 100 games Tuesday, the toughest penalty baseball has levied for a positive steroids test.

Rocha was suspended for 15 games last June 6.

"We understand and support the commissioner's policy on this matter, and agree with the importance and impact of the proper enforcement," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said in a statement. "We will continue to make education a top priority for our players at all levels of our system."

Four minor-league players were suspended for 50 games each for testing positive: Los Angeles Angels pitcher Karl Jelinas, New York Mets pitcher Jorge Reyes, St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Yonathan Sivira and San Diego Padres pitcher Matthew Varner.

The penalty for an initial positive test this year was increased from 15 games to 50 for players with minor-league contracts, and the penalty for a second positive test rose from 30 games to 100.

For major-leaguers, the punishment was lengthened from 10 days to 50 games -- but any test for major-leaguers is treated as a first positive test.

There were 81 suspensions last season for violations of the minor-league drug program, and four minor-league pitchers were suspended last week.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5 Minor Leaguers Suspended For Steriod Use

I was going to post this yesterday but I forgot. Man, 100 games is a huge suspension. That's almost the whole season for the minors.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I was going to post this yesterday but I forgot. Man, 100 games is a huge suspension. That's almost the whole season for the minors.
    Yep.

And what I find interesting (but not surprising) is the number of pitchers being caught.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Who were the 4 last week? I missed that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Who were the 4 last week? I missed that.
    I dunno but a couple of them were our guys.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I dunno but a couple of them were our guys.
    Here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2405455

NEW YORK -- Four minor league pitchers were suspended 50 games each by the commissioner's office Tuesday for violating baseball's minor league drug program, the first penalties since the sport toughened its rules during the offseason.

Two of the pitchers were in the Cincinnati Reds' organization: Ramon Ramirez and Justin Mallet. Also suspended were Waner Mateo of the New York Mets and Ryan Rafferty of the Kansas City Royals.

None has ever pitched in the majors.

Mallet was penalized for testing positive for a drug of abuse. The others tested positive for performance-enhancing substances.

The penalty this year for an initial positive test was increased from 15 games to 50 for players with minor league contracts. For major-leaguers, the punishment was lengthened from 10 days to 50 games.

There were 81 suspensions last season for violations of the minor league drug program.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

And what I find interesting (but not surprising) is the number of pitchers being caught.
    Looking at the number of homeruns around the majors already this year, I have to think that, worst case scenario, a lot of MLB pitchers were using steroids in the past, and best case, they were using amphetamines.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Looking at the number of homeruns around the majors already this year, I have to think that, worst case scenario, a lot of MLB pitchers were using steroids in the past, and best case, they were using amphetamines.
    Never a doubt in my mind. It's illogical (and always has been) to think that peformance enhancing would be isolated to the offensive side of the coin.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Interesting, lots of minor league no names being caught, but so far very few big league big names.

VERY interesting
    Go Gators!

Most prominent name there is Varner.

3.51 ERA/7.90 h9/.88 hr9/3.31 BB9/8.97 k9/1.25 WHIP lifetime minors.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Never a doubt in my mind. It's illogical (and always has been) to think that peformance enhancing would be isolated to the offensive side of the coin.
    Does anybody know if there's a DIFFERENCE in the kind of steroids they take? Greenies give you energy, so that makes sense, but on the most basic level, I don't think of "bulking up" in and of itself as a benefit to a pitcher (and obviously steroids for sluggers go beyond just "bulking up", but the physical differences are notable). Reports of steroid use never really delve into the details, and with the Bonds book out now I think the general public is getting a little more interested and would like to know the details.

Also, one was tested for a "drug of abuse" -- what does that mean? Marijuana? Cocaine? Or still a steroid?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Also, one was tested for a "drug of abuse" -- what does that mean? Marijuana? Cocaine? Or still a steroid?
    that would be any 'recreational' drug. pot, meth, aphedamines (sp), ect.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

here's a very good article on steroids taken by world class athletes. you'll have to hit 'page up' to get to the top of the article.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/43/7/1262#R4
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?