Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Stewart appreciation thread

Steve Stewart appreciation thread

I'll admit, I was one of those people who cursed Steve when he took Joe's spot in the booth two years ago. I was hesitant to listen to the guy, what honest Reds fan wouldn't be? Steve stepped into the broadcast booth with very tough shoes to fill, and many (including me) questioned his enthusiasm calling our games.

I've always secretly relished the games that aren't broadcast on FSN. The baseball junkie inside me longs for those hot nights on the back porch, listening to Marty and Joe in their prime, no visual help needed.

Now I find myself waiting for Marty's two innings to be over, so I can hear Steve call the game. What a pleasure it is to hear that raw emotion again, that booming voice that tells you every time when the Reds have not made fools of themselves. Steve has really fit into a groove here in Cincy, and as much as I love the 'ol left hander, Stewart is the kind of guy our flagship station needs to build a better fanbase.
    Last edited by jhiller21; 04-20-2006 at 12:59 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Steve Stewart appreciation thread

I like what Steve brings to the broadcast, something fresh and not so..negative and "our best days are behind lets talk about them" kind of game calling.

Steve rocks.
    Go Gators!

Marty and Joe will forever hold a special place in the history of Reds baseball.

I've been pretty hard on Marty the past few seasons but have always said he is one of The Best when he does his job and calls PBP.

Everybody loves The Ol' Left-Hander.

Joe could still be the color guy on radio or tv and do a wonderful job.

I like Steve doing PBP because he paints the picture for listeners. Steve pays attention to the game and tells us what he sees happening on the field.

I like that.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I like Steve...better than Joe now in fact. Joe is a great man but his time has passed and he often left me wondering what was happening. Love the ole left hander but change was necessary.

Marty is a grump and acts above the game at times. Wouldnt bother me one iota if Marty was let go (wont happen...sacred cow and all)

This is going to sound strange entering this conversation in this manner, but when my next older brother was dying of cancer four years ago, I always had the old hymn going through my mind, "My life goes on in endless song...". It's given me an appreciation for the stream of time and how it goes on and on.

The baseball take on that? Someone mentioned it, times goes on. I grew up in the 60's and listened to Waite Hoyt do play by play and talk endlessly during rain delays and that's a fond memory. Into my teen years and on into adulthood and now into middle age, I've got Nuxie and Marty. In fact, my oldest daughter, as I've mentioned, is up in DC doing a year of volunteer work and she called one evening and asked me to put the phone by the radio so she could hear a tiny bit of play by play. It's that magic.

And that endless stream goes on and on. Nuxie succeeded Waite Hoyt who succeeded Red Barber and that's a rich, rich history. I found this link which gives a history of Reds broadcasters and the stations on which the games were broadcast:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/archiv...p/t-14494.html

Every baseball fan has great memories of listening to the game on a quiet summer night.

As for Steve, he's grown on me and not just juxtaposed with Marty's weaknesses ("Marty, stay on task, stay on task"). He calls a good game and is finding his legs, particularly viz a viz Marty.

Now if we can return the ballclub to its earlier glory!

By the way, the Cincinnati library has tapes of Hoyt doing rain delays, and they have a tape that seems to be in the Refernce section of the Best of Reds on Radio, 1930-1975. Not sure why it's reference. Maybe I'll check Amazon to see what's available.

I like what I've heard from him....I also like Marty.......I came from Minnesota where they had a legend in Herb Carneal calling games forever there......he was a bit more of a homer, so I don't mind Marty taking shots.........

I usually turn off the Radio when Steve comes on. The reason I do this is that when Marty does it, it almost feels like someone is talking to you. It feels so personal. He and Steve will be talking about this or that while describing the game to you. Its like a best friend sitting beside you. On the other hand with Steve doing the game, Marty never says anything. I figure this is by design so that Steve can stand on his own and so Marty won't still the show, but I find it rather boring.

I'm not sure if I'd rather listen to Mary and Joe now or not because I heard Joe on that broadcast at the beginning of the year and oh wow has time passed by quickly. Talk about how bad Harry Carrey was at the end, thats what Joe Reminded me of.

I wouldn't mind having Marty do a few innings on radio, a few innings on TV (battle royal with George Grande anyone? ), and get a color guy in the booth with Steve. Someone like Paul O'Neill maybe?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I like Steve. He does a good job.

Paul O'Neil would be great.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Jim McIntyre, we hardly knew ye.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

i would love to have Steve and Al Leiter or CJ Nitkowski broadcasting.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Jim McIntyre, we hardly knew ye.
    "This is Jim and Joe on Reds radio."

Ahh, the memories.

Let us face it, Steve came into a very tough situation: he had to pretty much take over for one legend, while working with another legend who, honestly, is not longer at the top of his game.
    I think Mr. Stewart has done a great job. Hopefully, we will be listening to him for years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    On the other hand with Steve doing the game, Marty never says anything. I figure this is by design so that Steve can stand on his own and so Marty won't still the show, but I find it rather boring.
    I may be mistaken, but I believe Marty often leaves the booth when Steve is broadcasting. Something led me to believe this, but I can't remember what!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?