Turn Off Ads?

Thread: L.A. woman diagnosed with bubonic plague

L.A. woman diagnosed with bubonic plague

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12387983/?GT1=7938

LOS ANGELES - A woman is in stable condition with bubonic plague, the first confirmed human case in Los Angeles County since 1984, health officials said Tuesday.

The woman, who was not identified, was admitted to a hospital April 13 with a fever, swollen lymph nodes and other symptoms. A blood test confirmed the bacterial disease, and she was given antibiotics, officials said.

Bubonic plague is not contagious, but if left untreated it can morph into pneumonic plague, which is. Bubonic plague is usually transmitted to humans from the bites of fleas infected by rodents.

Health officials said they suspect the woman was exposed by fleas in her home and that there was no cause for alarm. An estimated 10 to 20 Americans contract plague each year, mostly in rural communities.

Bubonic plague is believed to have been the "Black Death" that killed 25 million people in Europe between 1346 and 1351.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: L.A. woman diagnosed with bubonic plague

Bubonic plague is not contagious, but if left untreated it can morph into pneumonic plague, which is. Bubonic plague is usually transmitted to humans from the bites of fleas infected by rodents.
    Which is.... what!??! Pneumonic plague is what?!?!??! The suspense is more killer than the plague...

I guess this lady needs to start buying her pet(s) flea collars and/or give them some serious flea baths. Looks like my poor mutt is gettin' a bath tonight!

While a terrible tragedy, the plague at least did give us one of the most memorable movie moments of all time.

"I'm not dead."
    "What?"
    "Nothing."
    "'E said 'e's not dead."
    "Um...yes he is."

You know the rest.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Wow. Not only does she get the plague...her "dirty laundry" gets aired regarding her filthy house. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Wow. Not only does she get the plague...her "dirty laundry" gets aired regarding her filthy house. lol.
    I didn't see where it said her house was filthy. I just saw that she had fleas in her house. If you've ever had pets that spend some time outdoors, it's pretty easy to get fleas in the house. In some areas you have to be vigilant to keep the pets from bringing fleas in.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I didn't see where it said her house was filthy. I just saw that she had fleas in her house. If you've ever had pets that spend some time outdoors, it's pretty easy to get fleas in the house. In some areas you have to be vigilant to keep the pets from bringing fleas in.
    If your kid gets lice, common among the rest of the school is that you are filthy even if you arent.

So I will paint with a broad brush and say her house is dirty.

BTW, i have two pets and never get fleas as I suppose im "vigilant". That or I put the flea deterent on them which takes all of 2 min.

On the other hand, I used to live at my great grandmas farm house when we were constructing next door and there was fleas everywhere and I would classify that as filthy (i dont think those flea drop things were selling yet so you would be right about the vigilant part, we werent)

Growing up, my parents lived in an area that had a real flea problem. I remember we tried everything to keep those fleas out. Collars, dips, powders, flea bombs,...it was really hard to keep them out. Everyone on the street who had dogs had the same problem. When the flea drops came out, it was a real godsend. Frontline kicks butt.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?