Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Second Favorite Team?

Re: Second Favorite Team?

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules
    It isnt obnoxious if you can back it up.
    No, it's still obnoxious.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Due to growing up about 20 minutes from their spring training site, I've always had a massive soft spot for the A's.

I don't have a second favorite team, however, I like to see the Oakland A's do well because of Billy Beane.

Texas Rangers,because I grew up near Dallas.

Leading league in hotness

I live in Chicago and I gotta say that I can't stand Cubs fans. I get to see a lot more Sox games than Cincy games, and I used to love the Sox when they had Mike Cameron and Carlos Lee.

But don't worry, the Reds are my team. The ChiSox just give me some good games to watch when I'm not following the pbp on these boards.

I have a 2nd favorite color, a 2nd favorite food, a 2nd favorite movie, heck I even have a 2nd favorite brother! But Baseball Team? Look too me that's an oxy-moron, too have a favorite team suggests you like a baseball team enough to follow them, spend money on them and basically invest emotion in them. How could you do that twice, why would you do that dos? Yes even in Spanish it makes no sense.

That's like being a Mormon, and even though in a perfect world we might enjoy having multiple options of our favorite things , there's a favorite for a reason only 1 truly knows how to make you tick. What makes me tick? The Cincinnati Reds!! There is no second favorite Baseball, Football, CFB, CBB, NBA team if you have a "1st favorite". That's why it's called a Favorite and not a 1st favorite. Now that said if you are not married to a team, you may need to mingle a bit. But once you get that favorite, don't put your blood pressure through the roof. Stick with the one your with.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-20-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    I have a 2nd favorite color, a 2nd favorite food, a 2nd favorite movie, heck I even have a 2nd favorite brother! But Baseball Team? Look too me that's an oxy-moron, too have a favorite team suggests you like a baseball team enough to follow them, spend money on them and basically invest emotion in them. How could you do that twice, why would you do that dos? Yes even in Spanish it makes no sense.

That's like being a Mormon, and even though in a perfect world we might enjoy having multiple options of our favorite things , there's a favorite for a reason only 1 truly knows how to make you tick. What makes me tick? The Cincinnati Reds!! There is no second favorite Baseball, Football, CFB, CBB, NBA team if you have a "1st favorite". That's why it's called a Favorite and not a 1st favorite. Now that said if you are not married to a team, you may need to mingle a bit.
    So, if you have a degree from two different universities, you have to root for one and not the other? I feel like favorites is a perfectly acceptable word. The Reds won't file for divorce if you're a big fan of two or more teams.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

So, if you have a degree from two different universities, you have to root for one and not the other? I feel like favorites is a perfectly acceptable word. The Reds won't file for divorce if you're a big fan of two or more teams.
    Ok good point about the universities, I can see it. However you can root for anything you want. You can root for the lesser of two evils but it doesn't make it A 2nd favorite. That's all I'm saying.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. When the Buffalo Bills had their run of going to 4 consecutive SB's in the early nineties it was a magical time for them (w/ the exception of not winning any of them), the Bengals of course were just beginning their spin down the toilet at the time. The Bengals were still my favorite and remained it, although it was tough to watch. I had (and still do) a respect for those Bill's teams and what they were able to accomplish and a great affinity for some of those players. Marv Levy, Kent Hull, Thurman Thomas, Don Beebe, Frank Reich, Darryl Talley and Cornelius "Biscuit" Bennett mostly. During that run I watched them in the playoffs, rooted for them and hoped they would get to that mountain top.

But they never got close to being a favorite, that word to me gets thrown around a bit too often. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with rooting for anything, heck I've even rooted for "That CFB team up north" before. Of course I had ulterior motives being a Buckeyes fan. I guess I just have a problem with the word Favorite, and not anyone in particular.

Also my 1st post was a bit in jest, but my 2nd post was my favorite!!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    I guess I just have a problem with the word Favorite, and not anyone in particular.
    OK, then, I'll rephrase it as "another team you take more than a passing interest in and do so for an extended period of time."

1. Reds
    2. Reds
    3. Reds
    4. Reds
    5. Rockies

I don't have one. In all 3 major sports I like one team only, but I will say I tend to follow the teams in the the same division. If I Had to say a team it would probably be the Pirates, but it's not even close.

I am basically an all Reds guy or whoever is playing an NL Central team besides the Reds

In all 3 major sports
    Psst that's 4... I know you basketball guys like to think no one watches Hockey.

But you're wrong.

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Definitely the Rangers, but I've been a Rangers fan longer than I've been a Reds fan. I've been a Rangers fan since 1983.

3 Time CY Young winner

Red Sox

Turn Off Ads?