Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Rivalry?

Building a Rivalry?

Don't know how many of you listen to Cincinnati radio, [of the sports variety] but all day long they've been playing sound clips from various Reds players about their disdain for Milwaukee. Dunn has a clip talking about how dark and dingy Miller Park is to play in and how he 'hates it.' Freel has been on making comments about the sausage races and it was even intimated that he didn't blame Randall Simon for hitting the thing with his bat.

Are they [the Reds and or the radio] trying to create a rivalry with the Brew Crew? I always thought, since we have 6 teams in this division and the Cards and Cubs were already joined at the hip, that we should go after a rivalry with the Astros, but maybe the team is working on one with the Brewers instead.

Or maybe it's nothing at all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Building a Rivalry?

Rivalries aren't fabricated....they just happen.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

For the most part, rivalries are born out of signifance. Without significant stakes, there's no reason for the rivalry to take hold.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

That time the Brewers stole our Lemon Tree pissed me off.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Rivalries aren't fabricated....they just happen.
    Bengals vs Steelers comes to mind....although it's always been a rival...it took on whole new life one sunny day in January...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Bengals vs Steelers comes to mind....although it's always been a rival...it took on whole new life one sunny day in January...
    I love the radio station billboard on south 75 close to town that has a picture of Carson's jersey and underneath it says "mojo" and right next to it is a Von Oelhoffen jersey that says "no mojo".

Dunn has a clip talking about how dark and dingy Miller Park is to play in and how he 'hates it.'
    I agree, its a hideous thing. On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet. On the inside, it looks the Army Corps of Engineers was in charge of the color scheme. Then there's the echo because of the empty seats, ala Olympic Stadium in the days of the mighty Expos.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I agree, its a hideous thing. On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet. On the inside, it looks the Army Corps of Engineers was in charge of the color scheme. Then there's the echo because of the empty seats, ala Olympic Stadium in the days of the mighty Expos.
    I respectfully disagree. I love Miller Park.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That time the Brewers stole our Lemon Tree pissed me off.

They're getting rich off of our lemons!
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

There is absolutely no reason the Reds and Pirates shouldn't be rivals. They have quite a history (1970, 1972, 1975, 1979, and 1990 NL championship series), are similar in market size, and (unfortunately) have been performing at nearly the same poor level for the past few years.

The fact that neither team really cares that much about the other illustrates the point that rivalries aren't fabricated, they just happen.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Rivary with the Brewers? That's like hanging out with the nerds. We need to be a rivary with the cool teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Rivary with the Brewers? That's like hanging out with the nerds. We need to be a rivary with the cool teams.
    Err...ahem...not to burst your bubble or anything, RBA, but the Reds and Brewers are sitting at the same table in the lunchroom. The Pirates are here, too, reading a "Dragonlance" novel. To paraphrase WOY's classic bit of wisdom, we need to stop staring at the cool kids' table and thinking we belong there.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We can't have rivalries with the cool teams. A rivalry has to be a series where both teams beat each other. We haven't beaten much of anyone in the last 7 or so years.

And remember, Milwaukee ruined our season in 1999 by beating us there at the end. The rivalry is on!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Don't know how many of you listen to Cincinnati radio, [of the sports variety] but all day long they've been playing sound clips from various Reds players about their disdain for Milwaukee. Dunn has a clip talking about how dark and dingy Miller Park is to play in and how he 'hates it.' Freel has been on making comments about the sausage races and it was even intimated that he didn't blame Randall Simon for hitting the thing with his bat.
    Expect to see plenty of Dunn and Reds bashing this weekend. The Reds typically struggle in Milwaukee and strikeone a lot because it's so dark in that place. I've heard many players complain about how hard it is to pick up the ball in Miller Park. Marty will have a field day with Dunn this weekend.

Turn Off Ads?