Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: Trouble In Paradise For Womack? / Womack May Ask For Trade

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Merged: Trouble In Paradise For Womack? / Womack May Ask For Trade

Narron quote Per Reds.com:

"I said, 'You might only play once or twice a week.' I, in no way, shape or form gave him any indication that he'd be our every day second baseman," Narron explained. "He knew coming in about what his situation would be. So far, he's handled it real well."

I am sure this is music to all Redszoner's ears

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trouble In Paradise For Womack?

And to think we could have Kevin Howard playing in AAA and still have $1M in our pockets. Minor move in the big picture, but certainly a great example for anyone wanting to say "DanO wasn't all that bad." There is little doubt that Dick Wagner stepped up a rung in his little personal corner of Reds' hell after the DanO regime.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Cast should have ordered O'brien locked down. None of his moves did overly alot of damage, but signing guys like Hammond(Kullman influenced?), trading for Womack were unnecessary. Ditto for the Kullman White signing. None of those guys should have been given power to make moves since they were not kept on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Cast should have ordered O'brien locked down. None of his moves did overly alot of damage, but signing guys like Hammond(Kullman influenced?), trading for Womack were unnecessary. Ditto for the Kullman White signing. None of those guys should have been given power to make moves since they were not kept on.
    Didn't want to miss that small window of opportunity on those studs, though.

I imagine that the Casey and Womack deals largely played in to the reason why O'Brien didn't get much of a chance under Cast. I imagine he basically said "You know this squad better than me, so feel free to act. Just run it past me first." O'Brien horribly failed his audition and Cast didn't need to see him work through the season.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't think it's right for a new owner to tell the current or temp GM (O'Brien, Kullman) to sit there and do nothing. Whether he's going to fire them or not, they should still be allowed to do their jobs until control of the team is taken over or a permanant replacement is put in place.

Having said that, I'm sure that Cast was notified of what moves were being made. It is possible that he didn't realize how truly incompetant O'Brien really was, though, and just assumed that O'Brien had some idea of what he was doing with the lesser known players like Howard.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    but signing guys like Hammond(Kullman influenced?)
    I'm not giving up on him yet. He had a few bad games to start, but his ERA has dropped from infinite, to 189.00, all the way to 24.00

I think he will be ok. He has had sings on turning it around K'ing 3 of the last 7 batters faced. Small sample, but so was his bad string.

He might get it down to 10, solid
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I don't think it's right for a new owner to tell the current or temp GM (O'Brien, Kullman) to sit there and do nothing. Whether he's going to fire them or not, they should still be allowed to do their jobs until control of the team is taken over or a permanant replacement is put in place.

Having said that, I'm sure that Cast was notified of what moves were being made. It is possible that he didn't realize how truly incompetant O'Brien really was, though, and just assumed that O'Brien had some idea of what he was doing with the lesser known players like Howard.
    Yes, but they missed a great opportunity to have all the pencils for the year sharpened and for all the execs to have their vehicles detailed. Pets needed taken care of. I could have found many important things for them to do

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000

"I said, 'You might only play once or twice a week.' I, in no way, shape or form gave him any indication that he'd be our every day second baseman," Narron explained. "He knew coming in about what his situation would be. So far, he's handled it real well."

Subtracting his PT by one or two days a week works for me.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 04-19-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Hammond will be fine. That change is N A S T Y, nasty! Just think of him like David Weathers last season. He started slow and everyone wanted his head, not he is one of our best options out of the pen.

Chris Hammond
    Kent Mercker
    David Weathers
    Todd Coffey

That's four decent to good relievers. Hopefully Brian Shakleford will pan out and make five. Now you've got two spots to fill (White and Belisle). I really think the five above will be ok. It's alot easier to fill two spots than it is to fill five.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Hammond still worries me, he looked good the other night agaisnt the Marlins, a Triple A team, with an 8 run lead. Anyone at his age will worry me. Not saying release him now, but I would keep him on a very short leash.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Hammond still worries me, he looked good the other night agaisnt the Marlins, a Triple A team, with an 8 run lead. Anyone at his age will worry me. Not saying release him now, but I would keep him on a very short leash.
    Some of the Reds starters also didn't look so good against the AAA's for that matter>
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000

This sounds like a setup by Rich Aurilia.

Rich Aurilia: Hey Tony, you got to complain to get playing time around here.

Tony Womack:Hey Rich,I took your advice and now there is talk of me being let go.

Rich Aurilia:Oh thats to bad Tony,but hey your a former Yankee you will be picked up
    like that.

Rich Aurilia:One down One to go.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Womack may ask for trade

Idle Womack getting a bit antsy
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Tony Womack wasn't in a chatty mood Wednesday, but he gave a pretty good indication he's not real happy about his situation.

Womack was out of the starting lineup for the fifth straight game Wednesday.

More significantly, Brandon Phillips started at second base for the fourth straight game.

If Womack's playing time doesn't pick up, will he ask for a trade?

"It will come to that point," he said. "I don't know when."

Womack hasn't talked to manager Jerry Narron about the situation.

"There's nothing I can do about it," he said.

Womack, 36, is hitting .250 with three RBI. He's coming off a season in which he hit .249 with a .276 on-base percentage. So there's a good chance that there's no trade market for him.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said no move is coming to ease the crowd at second base.

"I don't have to do anything today," Krivsky said. "(Womack's) on the team. He's a valuable guy. Everybody here is here for a reason. If they're not playing, they've got to stay ready to play. You never know when they might come up late in a game."

Womack is a player Krivsky inherited; Phillips is a player Krivsky obtained.

Former GM Dan O'Brien traded for Womack in December, despite having Ryan Freel available to play second. O'Brien then re-signed Rich Aurilia.

Krivsky added to the second-base jam by trading for Phillips.

Phillips, 24, went 2-for-5 with three RBI in the Reds' 9-8 win Wednesday. He had seven RBI in the three-game series.

Talk among scouts is that Womack will be released when Ken Griffey Jr. comes off the disabled list April 28.

Womack makes $2 million this year, but the New York Yankees are paying $900,000 of that.

Krivsky expects Womack to contribute as long as he's on the club.

"He's a pro," Krivsky said. "Tony knows he's got to stay ready. He's professional. He works hard. He wants to play. He works as hard as anyone we have."

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604200348/1071

Turn Off Ads?