Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So I'm thinking Edwin Encarnacion might not suck

So I'm thinking Edwin Encarnacion might not suck

Now this is just me going out on a limb here, but the kid boasts a .288/.413/.577 statline and he's now on pace to score and drive in 150 runs.

And I'm thinking I could live with that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So I'm thinking Edwin Encarnacion might not suck

That bat speed don't lie.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I really like the fact he's got 8 walks already.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I'm also very encouraged by how well he's doing against RH pitching.

Actually, his splits across the board are really nice.

I was on record over a year ago noting that Encarnacion's Error rate may place him at a position other than 3B.

At this point, his play has demonstrated that he can cover the 3B position very well even with his errant throws due to his range. I expect his aim to consistently improve as he gets more reps at the MLB level.

What I'm most enamoured with is his ability to identify Balls and Strikes thusfar. I expected Felipe Lopez to do so, but didn't expect Encarnacion to do it at his young age.

At this point, I'm ecstatic at Encarnacion's development and I hope he holds down the 3B position for the next decade. We may actually have a highly productive guy who can play that position for the first time in what seems like decades.

To everyone who was less concerned about his defense than I: Good call.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Through his first 81 games in MLB, he had committed 16 errors at 3B. That would be 32 errors over a full season. That's on the high side, but it's on the acceptably high side for a kid with big range and a good bat.

Plus, one thing I think you can reasonably count on in baseball is that young players with actual defensive skills will cut down their error rates over time. I know I've cut down my error rate as I've matured. Got my second marriage totally right.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

also gotta love the 3.84 P/PA this year, and the 3.96 P/PA for his brief MLB career.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Nice post, M2. As impressive as that .288/.413/.577 statline is, you what impresses me the most? How about that 10 walk/9 strikeout ratio he has in just 63 plate appearances. Plus the kid already has nine extra-base hits.

Encarnacion is going to be a lot better than most people thought he would be. Think Scott Rolen.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I would be very happy if he was a Craig Nettles-type player, with a bit of a higher average.
    But then again, that is because I always did like Nettles.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I know I've cut down my error rate as I've matured. Got my second marriage totally right.

Yeah, that's been my experience too. Something about that first trip to the bigs when you aren't really ready for it.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

i think if we had a better fielding first baseman, it would also help ee...imagine having a derrick lee type over there rather than hatte...i'm shocked at how bad he appears to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    i think if we had a better fielding first baseman, it would also help ee...imagine having a derrick lee type over there rather than hatte...i'm shocked at how bad he appears to be...
    Or at least a bigger target. Dunn would of had at least 3 of those ER's of EE, with his longer reach and higher reach.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Now this is just me going out on a limb here, but the kid boasts a .288/.413/.577 statline and he's now on pace to score and drive in 150 runs.

And I'm thinking I could live with that.
    He may not be scrappy enough, he did walk with the bases loaded last night.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

For his last year or two in the minors I suspected he was better than the ballyhooed Andy Marte. So far, so good.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    For his last year or two in the minors I suspected he was better than the ballyhooed Andy Marte. So far, so good.
    EE had a better AAA season last year than Marte. There is one HUGE difference. EE was not a Braves prospect.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?