Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Dave Williams thread

Get rid of Dave Williams thread

He cant even hit 80 on the gun, i am not sure what we were smoking giving up casey for this guy. This guys is beyond horrible and i say we send him down or release him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Get rid of Dave Williams thread

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs7089
    i am not sure what we were smoking giving up casey for this guy.
    MONEY

That was the sole reason for this trade; the prospect Williams might deliver even one bit of quality pitching was an afterthought, no matter how the front office spun it.

We are pretty much stuck with him at this point, so let's ride it out 5-6 more games before pulling the trigger. Nobody else would want him.

He is Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, and Jimmy Anderson all rolled into one.

If only the team had never traded for him. Amazing how quickly a trade goes from well-received to to despised once people get a good gander at what the return is.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...liams%2C+casey
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I still like the trade. I wish we had got nobody in return, but hopefully Williams will be gone at some point. Casey and his money had to go and so far it got us Dunn for a 2 year deal, I will take that over Casey anyday.

I would be happy to see Williams sent down and Justin Germano get a shot at the fifth spot in the rotation.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

How much longer until Wilson is ready to take that spot in the rotation?

Let's put Williams on the Dl. I am sure they can come up with some tightness or something. Then give him time to rehab and do some minor league rehab work.

Instead of Germano or Wilson, I think Matt Belisile put in a pretty good bid for the 5th rotation spot tonight. He looked dominating. I also don't understand why we keep Williams in the rotation for another 5 or 6 starts. This is the major leagues...at the very least let him work out his problems on the DL, in the bullpen, or in the minors. he is obviously hurt. This is not the pitcher who won 10 games for the Pirates last year. If we keep him around for 5 more starts, it could be a real difference maker in the success of this ball club. They are not going to come back and score 12 runs everytime Williams pitches. How about trying to WIN this year?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I still like the trade. I wish we had got nobody in return, but hopefully Williams will be gone at some point. Casey and his money had to go and so far it got us Dunn for a 2 year deal, I will take that over Casey anyday.
    The Reds had already saved enough money off the 2005 budget to sign Dunn and every other arb eligible on the team for 2006.

And Casey's contract was up after 2006 so signing Dunn beyond this year had nothing to do with Casey.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...s.asp#comments
    Per Marcs Blog Williams has an option left.
    This might be a good time to use it if they can't find a dl excuse.

I under stood the trade when Dunn was moving to 1st but when they traded WMP and moved Dunn back to the out field and Hatteberg to 1st I became more disappointed in the trade. I never understood the Womack trade. I think it is time to see if Williams can pitch out of the pen.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If only the team had never traded for him. Amazing how quickly a trade goes from well-received to to despised once people get a good gander at what the return is.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...liams%2C+casey
    I'd like to state, for the record, my extreme indifference to the trade at the time.

It's safe to say I grossly underreacted.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I thought dealing Casey was a good idea. At the time I was only OK because I thought they could have done better than Williams(I thought they could have gotten Snell without much a problem). Reading after the fact it seems that DanO wanted Williams. Who knows what a non-stupid might have received. It wasn't the trade it was the Reds GM that targeted the wrong guy to get in return.

I know Snell has struggled but he has good stuff and could be excellent in the pen if he can't cut it as a starter. The stuff Williams throws does not project well to relief. He has three pitches, it's just that they aren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    but when they traded WMP and moved Dunn back to the out field and Hatteberg to 1st I became more disappointed in the trade.
    without a doubt. Hatteberg should be a role player from the bench. Hatty makes Casey look like Keith Hernandez when compared with him

Turn Off Ads?