Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I feel dirty (I tried offensive correlation)

Re: I feel dirty (I tried offensive correlation)

Yes, how true--that is exactly why you guys shouldn't discount batting average the way you do. A player's performance doesn't occur in a vacuum--offensive performance occurs directly in the context of defense, and in the context of the gameplan of his team.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    Yes, how true--that is exactly why you guys shouldn't discount batting average the way you do.
    I'm not making the connection. I'm not sure why any of the last few post in any way validates batting average.

Yes, how true--that is exactly why you guys shouldn't discount batting average the way you do. A player's performance doesn't occur in a vacuum--offensive performance occurs directly in the context of defense, and in the context of the gameplan of his team.
    Who is discounting Batting Average? The term discounting implies that those that believe there are more important offensive indicators exist do not understand batting average. The fact that you tend to over value it does not mean that those that view at as (significantly) less important than you are under valuing it. It has been shown over and over again that it has very little impact on how teams score runs. Show something other than anecdotal isolated instances. Quit telling. Show.

Buckaholic, I'm really impressed that you ran those numbers yourself and that you started this thread.

I'm not so sure about that...if the point of the argument is that avoiding outs gives you the opportunity to score, if your opponent gives you extra outs (because they are bad defenders) that would radically help my offensive numbers.
    So I assume you're down with moving Jr. out of CF then? Because he's #1 with a bullet on the Reds for most outs given away on defense.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Thanks M2. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong about something.
    "If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, why do they even keep score?"

Turn Off Ads?