SLG-.531(1st)
    OPS-.906(1st)
    Walks-83(1st)
    Strikeouts-113(3rd)
    IsoP-.252(1st)
    SecA-.423(1st)
    BB/PA-.128(1st)
    P/PA-3.92(3rd)

Keep in mind this is not just the NL we're talking about, this is compared to all of baseball. The Reds currently have the best offense in baseball. The only stat the Reds don't rank in the top three in, is batting average.

Speaking of batting average: I wonder how many Reds fans(or Marty) are out there wondering how the Reds have scored all these runs while only having the 10th best batting average and having struckout the the third most times in baseball? Easy. The Reds are taking walks and getting on base(.375), hitting for power(73 XBH), and working the count deep in their favor and getting to the opposing teams' bullpen early.(3.92 P/PA).

The Reds modern day team record for runs scored in a season is 865 runs by the 1999 Reds, however, the 1894 Reds scored 910 runs. The 2005 Reds broke the franchise single season home run record by hitting 222 dingers. The 1974 squad received 693 walks. Most doubles belong to the 2005 Reds...with 335. 1894 Reds had a .363 OBP, modern day .357 by the '76 Reds. Highest SLG- .451 by 1999 Reds.

We could see a good number of these records succumb to the 2006 Reds.

The '06 Reds offense is on pace to score 1083 runs, 405 doubles, 324 home runs, .375 OBP, .531 SLG, and 840 walks. All those of those would surpass the previous franchise records, but obviously those projections are going to drop as the season gets older. But, I could definitely see this team breaking some records.

My point - I love this offense; it's fun to watch. The pitching sucks, but enjoy the offense. Adam Dunn is developing into one of the greatest Reds hitters ever. Felipe Lopez has developed into the best hitting shortstop in the NL. Edwin Encarnacion is blossoming before our eyes. Austin Kearns appears to be re-forming into a very good hitter. Brandon Phillips is looking like a possible steal...another Felipe? If that's not enough, the Reds could have a couple more impact bats on the horizon in young Jay Bruce and Joey Votto.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-21-2006 at 08:42 AM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds offense by the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    My point - I love this offense; it's fun to watch. The pitching sucks, but enjoy the offense. Adam Dunn is developing into one of the greatest Reds hitters ever. Felipe Lopez has developed into the best hitting shortstop in the NL. Edwin Encarnacion is blossoming before our eyes. Austin Kearns appears to be re-forming into a very good hitter. Brandon Phillips is looking like a possible steal...another Felipe? If that's not enough, the Reds could have a couple more impact bats on the horizon in young Jay Bruce and Joey Votto.
    Nice post, OBM...although I am sure that we will soon see the counter-arguments emerge

I am also excited about this offense; however, we have not yet seen the same caliber of starting pitching from our opponents as we did through the first 16 games of last season. I still think this offense is frightening to face, but Maddux, Willis, and Carpenter are the only real dominant SPs we have seen (and we won two of those games) No matter--the offense is getting production in all nine batting spots right now, so they are as close to a "slump proof" team offensively as we have seen in years.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Nice post, OBM...although I am sure that we will soon see the counter-arguments emerge

I am also excited about this offense; however, we have not yet seen the same caliber of starting pitching from our opponents as we did through the first 16 games of last season. I still think this offense is frightening to face, but Maddux, Willis, and Carpenter are the only real dominant SPs we have seen (and we won two of those games) No matter--the offense is getting production in all nine batting spots right now, so they are as close to a "slump proof" team offensively as we have seen in years.
    Don't forget Carlos Zambrano twice. And Oliver Perez usually gives this club fits but not this year. Mulder ain't too bad either, not his Oakland form but solid nonetheless.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Don't forget Carlos Zambrano twice. And Oliver Perez usually gives this club fits but not this year. Mulder ain't too bad either, not his Oakland form but solid nonetheless.
    Zambrano doesn't scare me, and hopefully the Oliver Perez curse has ended.

What I was referring to was the run we had last April when we kept hitting everybody's #1/#2 in their rotation. It seemed like every time we turned around, it was Pedro, Rocket, Oswalt, Carpenter, Glavine, etc...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

[QUOTE=OnBaseMachine]The Reds currently have the best offense in baseball.

And without Wily Mo's 1 HR and 2 RBI to date.

And without Junior for 8 of those 16 games.

Not possible, your stats are incorrect.

Batting average is the most important stat(especially with RISP).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Our pitching line is far more offensive (so far)....

28th in ERA 5.81
    25th in WHIP 1.57
    28th in BAA .305
    28th in OPS .879
    25th in OBP .362

From the DDN yesterday....

Score runs? Consider this. Over their last five games the Reds have scored 34 runs (6.8 a game) — and lost three of those games because they gave up 38 runs (7.5), including 12 to Florida Tuesday in a 12-6 loss.

Not good. Not good at all.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Score runs? Consider this. Over their last five games the Reds have scored 34 runs (6.8 a game) and lost three of those games because they gave up 38 runs (7.5), including 12 to Florida Tuesday in a 12-6 loss.

Not good. Not good at all.
    Not unexpected and it won't get better until some of the dead weight is cast overboard.

The Reds modern day team record for runs scored in a season is 865 runs by the 1999 Reds, however, the 1894 Reds scored 910 runs.
    Top 20 season by runs with Runs vs on the right.
    Code:
    RUNS                          YEAR      R        R     
    1    Reds                     1894      910      -94   
    2    Reds                     1895      903       12   
    3    Reds                     1889      897       29   
    4    Reds                     1887      892      -46   
    5    Reds                     1886      883       79   
    6    Reds                     1999      865       10   
    7    Reds                     1976      857      178   
    8    Reds                     1899      856        2   
    9    Reds                     1975      840      147   
    10   Reds                     1898      831       24   
    T11  Reds                     2000      825      -33   
    T11  Reds                     1965      825      138   
    13   Reds                     2005      820       64   
    T14  Reds                     1977      802       67   
    T14  Reds                     1962      802       35   
    16   Reds                     1969      798      102   
    T17  Reds                     1987      783       16   
    T17  Reds                     1896      783       -3   
    19   Reds                     1996      778      -16   
    20   Reds                     1974      776       75

Just for fun -

The Reds currently rank 22nd in all of baseball in BA w/RISP with a .255 average. However, they are 4th in SLG and 6th in OPS w/RISP.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    The Reds currently rank 22nd in all of baseball in BA w/RISP with a .255 average. .
    Obviously they must be one of the worst offensive teams in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Obviously they must be one of the worst offensive teams in baseball.
    Also, it's NEVER the pitchings fault.
    Go Gators!

Compared vs the rest of majors

Games-16

Strikeouts-113(3rd)

Tied for 5th in strikeouts with the Pirates.

I don't think anyone doubts how potent this offense can/will be.

The problem is that the stench from this pitching staff is far more potent.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

What's shocking to me is that there are two teams with ERAs worse than the Reds'.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?