Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PTBNL for Phillips?

PTBNL for Phillips?

Any idea on what kind of player we can expect to be dealt?
    I just hope it's not a pitcher.........about any position player outside of Votto, Bruce, or Denorfia is fine with me though......
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PTBNL for Phillips?

Not a pitcher? I'll give them a choice of pitchers they can have.

I'm just scared that if we give them one of our pitchers it will be a bailey or wood type talent........
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

My guess is that it's any 2005 draftee except Bruce or Wood (leaving Ward, Lecure, Rosales, etc.). Cash if the Indians don't want any of them. Or, it could be anyone from the minors except for a select few the Reds "reserved" (Bailey, Bruce, Wood, Denorfia, perhaps Votto...).

Krivsky was quoted as saying he was "aggressive" in pursuing Phillips, so I think there are some decent prospects on the table (it won't be Bailey -- he'd have been exchanged already). I'm just hoping he didn't sacrifice Bruce or Wood.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 04-21-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Old Red Guard Reject

How about this guy?

Since it appears he's friends with Danny Graves.

Hell, we'll even throw in the go cart. :dancingco

I'm sure it's a deal where the reds protect a certain # of guys then the Tribe picks a guy from the minors......... I do wonder if the deal is at all performance based.......so the better the #'s BP puts up, the less # of player's the Reds can protect............

I'm just glad that we have Phillips. Great pickup.

I do wonder if the deal is at all performance based.......so the better the #'s BP puts up, the less # of player's the Reds can protect............
    Possible, but I doubt it. They would have had to agree on specific performance parameters for Phillips, and that could have allowed the Reds to limit his exposure (thus reducing the return for the Indians). My guess is that there's a list of prospects the Indians are evaluating -- and if they don't want any of them, they'll take the $.

The more I think about it, the more I think the prospects could be middle infielders -- Bergolla, Olmedo, Rosales, maybe even the Michaels Griffin and DeJesus -- guys who could slide into BP's MI spot in the Cleveland system.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    My guess is that it's any 2005 draftee except Bruce or Wood (leaving Ward, Lecure, Rosales, etc.). Cash if the Indians don't want any of them. Or, it could be anyone from the minors except for a select few the Reds "reserved" (Bailey, Bruce, Wood, Denorfia, perhaps Votto...).

Krivsky was quoted as saying he was "aggressive" in pursuing Phillips, so I think there are some decent prospects on the table (it won't be Bailey -- he'd have been exchanged already). I'm just hoping he didn't sacrifice Bruce or Wood.
    If it's Bruce or Wood then Krivsky is a horrible GM. You don't trade minor league talent like that for a DFA player. I don't care how well he does. I would hope it is not a top ten minor league talent. I would expect it to be a Jake Robbins type but maybe that's just wishful thinking

I don't care how well he does. I would hope it is not a top ten minor league talent.
    Top Ten Reds ML talent is the fast food of MLB, missing it would be no problem.

The fact that it was a PTBNL does suggest that it was a 2005 guy....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

No way it is anyone of importance (Wood, Bruce, Bailey). If it is, Krivsky should be next on the guillotene line, right after OBrien. Phillips WAS a top tier prospect, so it shouldn't be one of the Reds' best minor leaguers.

Other than Bruce or Wood (its not going to be Bailey) i could care less who they give. I understand that Ward and Leclure could be pretty good players but neither will ever be considered the type of player Philips could end up being if he only becomes half of the player everyone thought he would be. Plus if were looking towards Ward and Leclure to accompany Wood and Bailey in the rotation someday that is wishful thinking. I still love the move Krivsky made and im not even bringing Philips red hot start into consideration but in the long run i really believe Philips could be a good player for the reds.

It's likely to be a bum. The Reds had the Indians over a barrel, either take a guy who's not worth much in a trade or take nothing at all when you lose him on waivers. It likely won't be anyone substantial going to Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    It's likely to be a bum. The Reds had the Indians over a barrel, either take a guy who's not worth much in a trade or take nothing at all when you lose him on waivers. It likely won't be anyone substantial going to Cleveland.
    Exactly. It's likely a reserve A baller who is already 28 or something.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?