Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Player Would You Rather Have?

Old Red Guard Reject

Which Player Would You Rather Have?

AB H 2B 3B HR BB AVG SLG OBP OPS

Player A 500 150 30 5 20 50 .300 .500 .400 .900

Player B 500 140 20 0 40 30 .280 .560 .340 .900

Just curious to see comments and reasoning.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Which Player Would You Rather Have?

If I'm looking at A vs B correctly, I like A b/c he gets on base 6% more of the time than B, mainly due to 20 more walks in the 500 AB sample size. He also has 10 more 2B than B in the same 500 AB, as well as has 5 3B to B's 0, which leads me to believe A might have more speed than B and or run the bases better/more efficiently.

I vote A overall.

University of Cincinnati

It depends on what your lineup is, if your lacking power id take B. If you need more of a discipline hitter who can hit for avg, still has some pop, and gets on base obviously you take B.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    If I'm looking at A vs B correctly, I like A b/c he gets on base 6% more of the time than B, mainly due to 20 more walks in the 500 AB sample size. He also has 10 more 2B than B in the same 500 AB, as well as has 5 3B to B's 0, which leads me to believe A might have more speed than B and or run the bases better/more efficiently.

I vote A overall.
    I would vote A as well for the above stated reasons.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

If the guy you are looking for is A, then Ill take B, if you like B, then ill take A simply because Im a butthead.

Pretend there's no difference defensively or in the cost, and that's like choosing between Andruw Jones now, and Bernie Williams in his prime. I'd be very happy to have either one. I think I'd take Bernie, everything else being equal, which it obviously isn't, since I'd usually choose fewer outs over more power. But I think there's a case for each, depending on how much power vs. on base ability the team already has.

Player A, regardless of what your team is lacking. OPB is slightly more valuable than slugging.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I want whichever guy K's the most.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I want whichever guy K's the most.
    Good choice. He'd be a late-count hitter who saw more pitches and therefore burned up the opposing pitching staff, benefitting himself and the rest of the team.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Good choice. He'd be a late-count hitter who saw more pitches and therefore burned up the opposing pitching staff, benefitting himself and the rest of the team.
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with Raisor. I want to see the Reds K even more this year and still lead the league in runs scored. If they can break the all-time K record and runs scored record in the same year, that would be awesome. It will drive lots of people completely bananas.

Well, first off these numbers don't seem to jive with me. For Player A to get an OBP of 0.400, he would have to be hit by a lot of pitches, well over 30, I think. But, for fun, just using the H, 2B, 3B, HR, and BB numbers I calculated the weights for singles, doubles, triples, homers, and walks and got an estimation for the runs.

R_hat=0.1889*1B+0.7083*2B+0.9901*3B+1.3166*HR+0.23 29*BB

(not bad quick and dirty estimation with a correlation coefficient of 0.9498)

Using this Player A's runs estimate is 82.13, while player B's is 88.93. So I pick player B.

(And yes, I have problems. )

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Wouldn't pitches per plate appearance be a more accurate reflection than Ks? There are hitters who see a lot of pitches but don't K a lot.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Well, first off these numbers don't seem to jive with me. For Player A to get an OBP of 0.400, he would have to be hit by a lot of pitches, well over 30, I think. But, for fun, just using the H, 2B, 3B, HR, and BB numbers I calculated the weights for singles, doubles, triples, homers, and walks and got an estimation for the runs.

R_hat=0.1889*1B+0.7083*2B+0.9901*3B+1.3166*HR+0.23 29*BB

(not bad quick and dirty estimation with a correlation coefficient of 0.9498)

Using this Player A's runs estimate is 82.13, while player B's is 88.93. So I pick player B.

(And yes, I have problems. )
    Player A has 150 hits and 50 BB = 200 /500 = .400??? Correct???

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Player A has 150 hits and 50 BB = 200 /500 = .400??? Correct???

Ah, no, that's the problem

OBP=(H+BB+HBP)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

I want whoever is scrappier. And if they are a middle infielder or a catcher, all the better.

Sincerely,
    Jerry Wayne O'Brien

Turn Off Ads?