Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Player Would You Rather Have?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Which Player Would You Rather Have?

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Ah, no, that's the problem

OBP=(H+BB+HBP)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)
    Yep. OBP is calculated based on plate appearances, not at-bats. Newman's hypothetical player A, with 500 at-bats and 50 walks, would have 550 plate appearances and an OBP of .364.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 04-21-2006 at 01:24 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with Raisor. I want to see the Reds K even more this year and still lead the league in runs scored. If they can break the all-time K record and runs scored record in the same year, that would be awesome. It will drive lots of people completely bananas.

I have a minion now. That rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I have a minion now. That rocks.
    Glad I can serve the awesomeness known as Raisor. I'll be a hated man now...

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Wouldn't pitches per plate appearance be a more accurate reflection than Ks? There are hitters who see a lot of pitches but don't K a lot.
    Guys who see a lot of pitches tend to walk and strike out more than guys who hit the ball earlier in the count. If you think about it, it makes sense.

Guys who can work the count, see a lot of pitches, and avoid K's are extremely rare.

TheGARB posted an excellent article on this subject. It's about halfway down the page.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...=45010&page=26
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I prefer Mt. Dew. really the best drink out there. If Player A drinks that, then I choose him/her.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Why do I get the feeling Adam Dunn is somehow involved in those stats?

Adam's 2005 numbers:

AB H 2B 3B HR BB AVG SLG OBP OPS

543 134 35 2 40 114 .247 .540 .387 .927
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Yep. OBP is calculated based on plate appearances, not at-bats. Newman's hypothetical player A, with 500 at-bats and 50 walks, would have 550 plate appearances and an OBP of .364.
    Hmm, guess I messed that up. Well, I intented (not very successfully I might add) to make the OPS equal obviously and make one player have a higher SLG and one higher OBP to illustrate my underlying question of "how important is consistency"?

I'm admittingly fairly new to indepth baseball statistics despite being a math instructor by trade and boasting a GRE score of 800 on the quantitative. But, I can't help but wonder why consistency is not mentioned more often in baseball statistics?

In watching the Reds lead the NL in many offensive categories this season and last, I have noticed that they will score lots of runs and win some games by blowout and then score very few runs in some games. Thus, not being very consistent.

Same thing with many players. For instance, some guys will have like 6-7 total bases one game then 0-1 the next.

Does anyone measure something like Runs Created with Standard Deviations?
    Since Dunn was mentioned earlier, I think this may be the problem with some "non-stat" guys with valuing Dunn. They see him have one game going 2 for 3 with a homer and a double and 2 walks and then go 0 for 4 the next night with 3 Ks. What they would like to see would be something more "dependable" to for lack of a better word.

I've always wondered about how consistency of runs impacts wins. But Pythagarus is so close almost all the time, that I'm not sure that the idea of large standard deviations really exist. In other words, I think it's one of those things that "seems" like is happening by watching, but when you go look at the numbers, it just isn't happening like we think it is. All teams have scoring binges and scoring droughts. I'm not sure it's a differentiating factor very often.

A
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    In watching the Reds lead the NL in many offensive categories this season and last, I have noticed that they will score lots of runs and win some games by blowout and then score very few runs in some games. Thus, not being very consistent.
    The Reds produced one of the most consistent RS patterns in MLB in 2005. There wasn't any "blowout" effect last year. The Reds scored enough runs to win a high percentage of the time but were let down by a pitching staff they had to outscore far too consistently.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    The Reds produced one of the most consistent RS patterns in MLB in 2005. There wasn't any "blowout" effect last year. The Reds scored enough runs to win a high percentage of the time but were let down by a pitching staff they had to outscore far too consistently.
    I believe I'm getting kinda hooked on this stuff lol. Where do you find statstics like that or do you have to calculate it yourself?

If all the Reds players were on the free agent market, who would command the highest contract?

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    If all the Reds players were on the free agent market, who would command the highest contract?
    Agent factor (i.e. Felipe/Boras) included or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    I believe I'm getting kinda hooked on this stuff lol. Where do you find statstics like that or do you have to calculate it yourself?
    My primary sources are ESPN.com and MLB.com

You have to play around with them some to get the hang of it (at least when you're working with Splits). I still haven't mastered it but I keep trying.

The fundamental stuff though, is pretty easy to work with.

Is anyone ever going to tell us who these players are?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?