Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Trade Offers?

Ridiculous Trade Offers?

Got offered these 2 trades, and I was courious if they were as ridiculous as they appeared to me. Certainly I'm not the most savy fantasy player, but I don't like them. I thought it could be fun to have a thread where people could post any other ridiculous trades they were offered, or perhaps one that they offered that was acctually accepted.

Anywheres here are the 2 that I got yesterday:

J. Papelbon for Bartolo Colon. Now if this was the Colon of several years ago, I might make this trade to cash in on Papelbon since I also have Lidge, Turnbow & Reitsma. However w/ Colon off to a horrid start, and just getting placed on the DL for right shoulder inflimation, something tells me this guy was hoping to slide this one thru. Thanks but no thanks...

R Freel, B Crosby, & F Garcia for A Dunn & B Penny First, I originally drafted Crosby in an autodraft, but dumped him before the season started. My team name is crazy redlegs, which probably indicates that I'm a reds fan, and realize that Freel won't play every day (at least not under Narron and w/ the possible emergance of B Phillips). Finally, while my starting pitching is struggling to the start of the year, I should be fine w/ J Santana, B Myers, C Zambrano, R Holliday & CC Sabathia before the year is over. Penny's injury concerns/history are not really a worry, he plays in a pitchers park, and frankly I think at this point in his career, he might just be a better pitcher than Garcia.

All that, plus the guy wants me to give up Dunn. Mmm.... don't think so. The guy did indicate in his message that he's flexible, so I'll probably offer back an equally ridiculous trade (at least in my mind) something like Francouer & Reitsma for Man Ram & D Haren.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ridiculous Trade Offers?

I got offered one today...

I was to get:
    Mike Sweeney
    Langerhans
    and Keith Foulke

for Adam Dunn
    and Papelbon

now talk about ridiculous!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

As far as ridiculous fantasy trades go, these aren't even close. Yes, he lowballed you in both cases -- but they aren't horrible.

Papelbon has been great but he will have a down turn at some point and he's still considered the temporary closer. I think he's valuable, but there is at least some risk. Colon meanwhile, is coming of a 21 win season with a 3.48 ERA. Obviously he's injured right now and probably won't match those totals. However, this is a classic buy low/sell high opportunity.

In the second deal, I'd call Garcia and Penny a virtual wash which leaves Freel and Crosby for Dunn. Would I do that deal on the face of it? Probably not. However, if you have extra power and need speed, that's not a horrible deal. If Freel gets 500 ABs this year, he could very well duplicate what Chone Figgins did last year. Figgins went higher than Dunn in every one of my drafts. Plus you'd get Crosby who has 25 HR & 80 RBI potential at SS.

No deal in which an argument can be made for either side should be considered ridiculous. Should you do those trades? Maybe not. But if you think that's ridiculous start to a trade negotiation, the only ridiculous thing is your expectation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

in one of my leagues, this trade went through today. Manny Ramirez for Tim Wakefield straight up.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

A trade in our league that was accepted:

3B Hank Blalock and SP Mark Mulder for OF Manny Ramirez.

I was pretty ticked off at first when the trade got accepted. I still think its an uneven trade, but if the manager giving up Manny really wanted to do it, that's his perogative I guess.

I got another offer of Juan Pierre and Tom Glavine for John Patterson.
    While not a horrible offer, I'm wasn't interested in the least.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    in one of my leagues, this trade went through today. Manny Ramirez for Tim Wakefield straight up.
    Ouch.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thanks for the thoughts Rick. Dunn is my main power source, I've got FeLo & Rickie Weeks up the middle, which should give me plenty of SB (not on the level of Freel, but enough) plus Aberu (Did I just spell that wrong) and Tori Hunter in the outfield, which each should give me some stolen bases.

I won't lead the league in steals, but I should hold my own. Closing for Boston gives Paplebon huge upside. I'd trade him for the right player, but I think I could/should get much more out him than I guy off to a bad start that just went on the DL for an inflammed shoulder. Its not like Colon is the most health conscious pitcher out there, something just smells of Labrum surgery. Way too much risk right now to give up Paplebon.

That Man Ram for Wakefield trade...got to agree w/ Reds Leader, WOW!

I offered Jason Schmidt for Felipe Lopez and got turned down (understandibly). I usually make offers like that just to get negotiations started. Unfortunately, the guy countered with Brad Lidge for Lopez, which IMO is just as slanted as Schmidt/Lopez, but in the other direction.

A friend of mine offered me Mark Ellis and Shea Hillenbrand for Rich Harden. Then he cancelled the deal and called to apologize.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford
    That Man Ram for Wakefield trade...got to agree w/ Reds Leader, WOW!
    I was the only person who made a post concerning the trade which nobody responded to. The good news is that before it got too far into the season I was able to see what kind of league it is and won't be wasting any more time with it. The guy who traded Manny also dropped Helton last week. That's a solid owner
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

There was one guy that I was trying to deal Tejada for an ace pitcher. Someone like Halladay. I picked up Rollins on the waiver wire for nothing making Tejada expendable.

He countered with Bobby Crosby (his starter) for Tejada.

I told him off saying the deal was hugely lopsided and wasn't even close, and if he cared to look at my team he would notice I didn't need another SS.

He offered the same trade again because he thought I was being unreasonable, and said if I didn't accept we wouldn't ever make a trade. So, gladly I rejected and gave him some choice words.

I got offered Cliff Floyd and Mariano Rivera for Albert Pujols earlier this week. Surprisingly, I decided to decline it.

Pre Derrek Lee injury:

At the time I was trying to move Adam Dunn and had offered him an ok trade but one I fully expeted to get turned down. Dunn and a decent SP for Manny. I was trying to buy low on Manny since he was hitting .200 0 HRs.

He countered with this beauty:

Manny and Nick Swisher

for

Derrek Lee and Travis Hafner

I almost spit out the pop I was drinking all over my computer.
    Matta = Really good

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I wasn't saying you should do the deal Medford, but you cannot not expect anybody to offer you an initial deal which is completely even or tilted to you. They would be stupid to do so.

View offers as the initial statement of interest and there's room to negotiate. They've stated that they are interested in Papelbon, Dunn, & Penny. Now look at what you'd need and what they have to give, and offer something that makes sense.

Very rarely will a trade be served up for you on a silver platter. If the guy wanted Papelbon and was offering Esteban Loaiza, sure, that's ridiculous. But a "temporary" rookie closer for last year's Cy Young winner, all considerations for performance and injury to date, can hardly be looked at as ridiculous. If a month from now Papelbon is back to middle relief and Colon is healthy, you'd be the one getting a steal. Neither of those are unrealistic possibilities.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I just lost Derek Lee and my friend offered me Chris Shelton, Randy Winn, Geoff Jenkins, and Josh Willingham for Victor Martinez, Jason Bay, and Pat Burrell. This seemed completely lopsided to me but since I don't have a first baseman I'm thinking about pursuing it a little. Is this even a decent starting point for negotiations?

Turn Off Ads?