Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooperstown Collection Hats

Cooperstown Collection Hats

I bought 2 retro hats and they arrived today, but I am wondering if one is the correct color for the year. One is supposed to be a 1955 cap. I was expecting a navy blue cap with Red wishbone "C", but the hat that arrived is all black. The other cap is listed as a 1957-58 and is off white with red bill. This appears to me to be accurate based on the HOF Uniform database (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex..._to_the_nines/)

What is supposed to be a 1955 looks like it is navy blue on the HOF database. I am left wondering if I have the right hat. Does anyone know of any years where the reds sported an all black hat?

Does anyone know of any years where the reds sported an all black hat?
    Last edited by NastyBoy; 04-21-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cooperstown Collection Hats

The 1955 Cap should be navy blue. I don't think the Reds ever used black as an accent color, other than the armbands on the '61-'67 uniforms, and the black that is included in the current uniforms. The only all black caps that I am aware of are the BP caps that came along with the current uniforms scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    The 1955 Cap should be navy blue. I don't think the Reds ever used black as an accent color, other than the armbands on the '61-'67 uniforms, and the black that is included in the current uniforms. The only all black caps that I am aware of are the BP caps that came along with the current uniforms scheme.
    Yeah... the BP hats are the only I know of, unless there is a alternate hat for some year.

Here is what I was expecting.

They call me "chef"

I am pretty sure the Cooperstown Collection just means that the hat has a faded, broken in look. Some of the hats may be replicas of actual historic hats, but a lot of them aren't. I own the black hat and I really like it. I also have a holiday Reds hat that is red with a dark green logo.

I believe it should be dark blue as well.

http://www.dugout-memories.com/cinred.html
    It should indeed be blue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    I am pretty sure the Cooperstown Collection just means that the hat has a faded, broken in look. Some of the hats may be replicas of actual historic hats, but a lot of them aren't. I own the black hat and I really like it. I also have a holiday Reds hat that is red with a dark green logo.
    I guess we must have the same hat. I really like the black one. The website I bought mine from, the picture was really crappy, so I just assumed it was dark blue, not thinking it could be black.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    I have a Cooperstown Collection hat that is red low profile cotton with a balck pennant that says Cincinnati and a Nike Swoosh on the left side. So you are correct in that Cooperstown Coleection has nothing to do with authenticity; they just try to make the products look retro.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    I bought 2 retro hats and they arrived today, but I am wondering if one is the correct color for the year. One is supposed to be a 1955 cap. I was expecting a navy blue cap with Red wishbone "C", but the hat that arrived is all black. The other cap is listed as a 1957-58 and is off white with red bill. This appears to me to be accurate based on the HOF Uniform database Does anyone know of any years where the reds sported an all black hat?
    I bought a Cooperstown Collection hat of the 1961 Reds that looked almost like this one--except that it has the thin red pinstripes around the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    Yeah... the BP hats are the only I know of, unless there is a alternate hat for some year.

Here is what I was expecting.

Stop posting pictures of my hat :

Go Gators!

There is a slight difference in the "55 cap, as the wishbone "C" did have a white outline. The navy caps that they wore up to that point had only the red wishbone "C" as the one pictured that you were expecting. '55 was the only year with the white outlined "C" during that period. Regardless, it should have been navy blue.

I had a white 1957-58 cap just like that one when I was in college. I really liked it, and I would like to see the Reds go with something like that as an alternate home cap if/when they make their uniform changes next year.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

NastyBoy,

Who did you order the hats from?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Stop posting pictures of my hat :

Cubs Fan
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

BTW that black hat with the white outline wishbone "C" - looks eerie familar to the Indians hat of the late 50's and 60's when they had the wishbone "C" and the Reds had an enlongated "C" (with no wishbone tail)

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?