Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel at 1B???????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ryan Freel at 1B???????

Please take note of the question marks in the title.....I am only asking.

When JR comes back, do you play Freel at 1B? Is that an option? He would make a rather small target to throw to, and I have no idea if he knows how to play it.....but he has played 3B and 2B so he can catch a ground ball.

Or, do you tell JR that he has become a statue in CF and ask him to play 1B? I can just hear the response to that one....ouch.....

So what to do with the guy leading the league in steals and with an almost .500 OBP?

Re: Ryan Freel at 1B???????

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la

So what to do with the guy leading the league in steals and with an almost .500 OBP?

He plays everyday at 2B, unless they move Dunn to first.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Man that's a tough call as Phillips is playing real well. Dunn to 1B makes the most sense with Freel in CF/LF (CF preferrably) and Phillips at 2b until he proves he can't handle it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Man that's a tough call as Phillips is playing real well. Dunn to 1B makes the most sense with Freel in CF/LF (CF preferrably) and Phillips at 2b until he proves he can't handle it.

I'd do Dunn to first in a second, but if it didn't happen out of Spring Training, it's not going to happen now.

Phillips has been very good the past week, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather have Freel in there.

I'd do Dunn to first in a second, but if it didn't happen out of Spring Training, it's not going to happen now.

Phillips has been very good the past week, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather have Freel in there.
    I'm torn. Love Freels offensive game, but BP's defense is pretty good. WMP to Boston is really the only reason we get the Hatte 5 times a week at 1B. So if push comes to shove, Dunn plays 1B. That improves the defense to the point of respectability.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I've "warmed" to the idea of moving Dunn to 1B solely for two reasons....

#1 - Freel everday in this lineup. Where? OF (his natural position).
    #2 - Phillips everyday in this lineup at 2B. He's gonna improve our INF "D", and even with the "growing pains", I look at the potential with EE (3B), Lopez (SS), and Phillips (2B). We gotta give this Phillips kid a shot. Alot of fans are kinda peeved in Cleveland that they let him go.

But Freel at 1B? Does EE and Lopez need a smaller target? Lets cut these kids some slack!

But Dunn does not want to play 1B.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

got alil captain in u?

nah we need someone tad bit taller who can have some reach for balls both latterly and vertically yes he can catch a few ground balls but we also need a good reciever over there

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    do you play Freel at 1B?

Only if you're willing to fulfill the self-serving needs of our LF and CF.

Dunn to 1st Freel to LF...easier then putting Freel somewhere he's never played before.
    Go Gators!

and to think some people have called Hatty a midget 1b.

Now I will show you the most excellent way: Dunn to 1B, Jr. to LF, Freel to CF, Phillips stays at 2B.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Has Griffey made it known he will not play anywhere but CF? Is it essentially telling Griffey "your done" if you ask him to play First?

JR to 1st would be something to try in the offseason, moving him to LF has a much better chance of happening now.
    Go Gators!

Personally, I'd prefer Griffey at first. He has played there a few games in the Majors.

He'd stay a lot heathlier and could be a good defensive 1 baseman to boot. Getting Griffey out of CF would be a huge improvment to the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    Personally, I'd prefer Griffey at first. He has played there a few games in the Majors.
    Not that I don't think he could do it, but he's played all of 2 innings there in his career.

Turn Off Ads?