Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deal....Or No Deal?

Deal....Or No Deal?

Let me start with this quote. Which they match Lawton to the Dodgers.

Trade winds blowing
    Apr 17 - The Mariners are looking to trade Matt Lawton, the Tacoma News Tribune reports. With the M's short of middle infielders and overcrowded with left-handed hitters, they want to bring in a right-handed-hitting infielder who would allow them to use their bench.
    Seattle isn't looking for a huge return and likely would take a prospect or a veteran middle infielder making about the same as Lawton ($400,000). Because he signed as a free agent, he would have to approve any deal if dealt before June.

"I signed here and knew the situation, but yeah, I'd like to play more," Lawton told the newspaper. "I'm not asking for a trade, and I understand their situation. If something comes up where I can go somewhere and play, you bet I'd listen."

Then this piece. Although a lefty, it might be worth the offer.

Wo-e-mack
    Apr 20 - If Womack's playing time doesn't pick up, he might ask the Reds for a trade, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports. "It will come to that point," he told the newspaper. "I don't know when."
    GM Wayne Krivsky said no move is coming to ease the crowd at second base. "I don't have to do anything today," said Krivsky. "[Womack's] on the team. He's a valuable guy. Everybody here is here for a reason. If they're not playing, they've got to stay ready to play. You never know when they might come up late in a game."

Talk among scouts is that Womack will be released when Ken Griffey Jr. comes off the disabled list April 28.

And finally this.

Let's make a deal?
    Apr 17 - If the Mariners don't trade Matt Lawton, Roberto Petagine may be dealt, the Tacoma News Tribune reports. At least two NL teams and the Rangers expressed interest this spring in Petagine.
    Oh yeah plus this.

Roberto Petagine- 2006 Salary: $450,000

So it's 1+1+1+1 = 4 (The number of our new fulltime starting 2B)

What do we think people? In the immortal words of Howie Mandel.

DEAL.......OR NO DEAL
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-21-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deal....Or No Deal?

I'd do it. I like him better than Q

What are we talking about here, Womack for Petagine?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sure
    Go Gators!

No

No deal...no need.

got alil captain in u?

me 2 we don't need womack

I'd rather give them Womack or Aurillia for a middling prospect.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Let's throw in Dave Williams and pull off a Womack/Williams for Felix Hernandez swap. King Feliz is off to a slow start, and I think they'd bite.

If pressed, Krivs could include Burns, Hammond, and White. If we throw in Milton, I want Ichiro.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Hope you're not serious. No way Mariners do that.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    Let's throw in Dave Williams and pull off a Womack/Williams for Felix Hernandez swap. King Feliz is off to a slow start, and I think they'd bite.

If pressed, Krivs could include Burns, Hammond, and White. If we throw in Milton, I want Ichiro.

Hatteberg > Petagine so I don't really see the need.

How about Kriv packages a 2B(or two), Hatteberg, and a Catcher for some immediate pitching help?

Quote Originally Posted by kyjobu
    Hope you're not serious. No way Mariners do that.

Never underestimate the idiocy of the M's front office.

I say this as a (recovering) M's fan.

I wouldn't do the deal. If Lawton is not happy with his playing time in Seattle, he will definitely not be happy here coming off of the bench. As far as Petagine goes, we had him before and didn't keep him. We don't need him. Hatteberg's bat is coming around and I like McCracken's versatility better than just having a pinch hitting 1st baseman on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski

Forget it. The Reds lost their chance at making this deal happen when they shipped Timo Perez's contract to St. Louis. He was the missing ingredient that would have made the trade too sweet for Seattle to pass up.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?