Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonds fined for apparel violation

Bonds fined for apparel violation

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball fined Barry Bonds $5,000 on Wednesday because of an apparel infraction regarding the size and design of the logo on his wristbands.

The Giants slugger was notified about the fine in a letter from Bob Watson, MLB's vice president of on-field operations, which he received via overnight mail upon his arrival in the Giants clubhouse at Chase Field several hours prior to Wednesday night's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Bonds said that the logo complied with an earlier edict from MLB and that he would file a grievance with the Players Association Thursday to try to reverse the decision.

"My wristbands have already been changed and they're the exact wristbands I wore in 2004 and 2005," Bonds told MLB.com. "They're exactly the same. They can't come after me now if they didn't come after me in 2004. The wristband hasn't changed since 2004, so this can't be right."

Watson, when reached by telephone Wednesday evening, said he had already spoken to Bonds and would not comment on the matter because the issue was in the process of being appealed.

In question are black wristbands Bonds has been wearing that he said his apparel company designed to baseball's specifications.

Watson asked Bonds to send his office one of the wristbands, plus pictures of Bonds wearing similar wristbands in 2004 and 2005.

Watson said Bonds would be fined an additional $5,000 for each game he plays wearing the wristbands.

Bonds, who was not in the starting lineup Wednesday night for the third time in the team's first 14 games, said he would wear the wristbands inside out until the issue was resolved.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds fined for apparel violation

what a stubborn moron.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

he's filing a grievance with the player's association...whatever...i suppose it's harassment

didn't he opt out of something so that his name cannot be used on apparel items, or something like that? i can't really remember what the situation was...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

A pre-emptive strike of future things to come against Bonds thanks to MLB?

They can't prove steriods (yet), but they sure as heck can fine him for wristbands!

Just when I think I can't give anymore respect to Bud Selig and crew, they continue to amaze me and take my breath away with nuggets like this...

They're obviously fining him because he's black.....right Barry?

Please, Barry....go home and don't come back.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

"My wristbands have already been changed and they're the exact wristbands I wore in 2004 and 2005," Bonds told MLB.com. "They're exactly the same. They can't come after me now if they didn't come after me in 2004. The wristband hasn't changed since 2004, so this can't be right."
    Okay... if I drive 20 mph over the speedlimit and don't get caught for a couple of years, then I cannot be cited anytime in the future.

Cool! Thanks, Barry!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Not so fast there Barry. The first two pics are from '04. The last pic is from '06.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonds 2nd '04.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	3548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonds '04.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	3549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonds '06.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	3550  
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

If anyone should be fined for wearing wrist band, it's Dutsy Baker. He's a manager and he still wears them. Credit, I heard this on WLW.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Okay... if I drive 20 mph over the speedlimit and don't get caught for a couple of years, then I cannot be cited anytime in the future.

Cool! Thanks, Barry!
    Well, if you've been driving right past the cop at that speed every day for two years...

That's just life. Bring a fake plant into your office after doing something good, the boss says "nice plant." Do something to tick him off and suddenly the plant's too big and your desk's too messy.
    Not all who wander are lost

Edwin's been sporting some rather large wrisbands too. The logo doesn't appear to be as large as Bond's though. Neither does the ego come to think of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EzE 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	3551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EzE 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	3552  
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

It's like in the movie "The Untouchables" when Kevin Costner says, "We're going take down a murderer for tax evasion?" or something to that effect.

Same idea here.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

It's because you're black, Barry... :

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Not so fast there Barry. The first two pics are from '04. The last pic is from '06.
    Whoa now..Barry might sue you for posting facts
    Go Gators!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Can they tack some on retroactively for that dress getup he put on in spring?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Good stuff, Reds Nd2. There's nothing like a little photographic evidence to take the air out of an argument that's based on a lie.

Turn Off Ads?