Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips

Brandon Phillips

Many of you may already know this, but I was looking at a couple old BA Prospect Handbooks, and they were raving about this guy. Said he was a 5-tool guy in the mold of Barry Larkin or Derek Jeter. Said he was fast, had good range, a cannon arm, very quick hands, and developing power. He was the top prospect with Montreal and Cleveland for 2 straight years.

In 2002 at age 21, he hit .302 for AA and AAA. He hit 18 hrs. He was rushed big-time in 2003 to the majors. He had a rough year. Said pitchers found a hole in his swing. The next year in AAA, he hit .296 with 44 BB's and 56 SO's in 551 AB's. He made big improvements in his swing that year.

Apparently, his cockiness annoys opponents. He is a great teammate and has a tremendous attitude during even the tough times and always plays great defense.

By all accounts, this was a great sign. He could very well be a Felipe Lopez this year. Tons of talent and the intangibles!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips

Wasn't there already a Brandon Phillips thread you could have posted this in?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

They call me "chef"

Well this is BrandonPhillipsZone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    Well this is BrandonPhillipsZone.
    Go Gators!

If he hits .260 and fields well, I for one will be happy . Plus he already has put Woe is me mack on the bench and closer to retirement already. Now that is a totall bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Wasn't there already a Brandon Phillips thread you could have posted this in?
    The poster is new. Perhaps he didn't read/scan all the threads before posting or perhaps he didn't know there was an unwritten rule against starting a second thread on similar topics (BP Fan Club vs BP).... actually, I didn't know that either.

I do know I read this one, but never even opened the other one.

Peace.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The point of the post was to talk about the special skills that this guy has, not to join his fan club after a 2-homer night. This guy has rare skills for his position and he's starting to show a little of what has been expected from him since he was 21.

They call me "chef"

You know, it's never too late to join the fan club Red Daddy.

Just sayin'.

One little thing, though. Why didn't he slide last night? I haven't seen this discussed, but it bothered me. Did anyone notice if Ross was giving him hands up, or was he giving him hands down? I can't believe he wasn't getting the slide signal in that situation, so why didn't he slide? Though I admire the base running, that was too close to come in standing up.

Here's what ESPN said about the prospects Cleveland received for Bartolo Colon back when the trade happened:

Prospects traded
    For the first time since the Expos traded an unpolished left-hander named Randy Johnson for Mark Langston to help their playoff drive in 1989, they actually gave up prospects instead of acquiring them. Here's a look at three minor leaguers headed to Cleveland:
    Brandon Phillips, SS, 20 years old
    Montreal's top prospect -- and perhaps the top shortstop prospect in the minors -- Baseball America ranked Phillips as the 20th-best prospect in baseball at the start of the season. He improved upon that status with terrific numbers in Double-A, where he hit .327 with nine home runs in 60 games, before a recent promotion to Triple-A. John Sickels describes Phillips has a potential "seven-tool" player if he improves his walk rate. Note: Omar Vizquel is signed through 2004.

Cliff Lee, LHP, 23
    Lee, ranked only as Montreal's 11th-best prospect at the start of the year, blossomed into one of the top pitchers in the Eastern League, going 7-2 with a 3.23 ERA (7th) and 105 strikeouts (1st) in 86.1 innings. He relies on control, with just 23 walks, but has allowed 12 home runs.

Grady Sizemore, OF, 19
    The Expos signed Sizemore to a $2 million bonus to lure him away from a football scholarship to Washington in 2000. He's a terrific athlete, but was hitting just .258 in the Florida State League. While's he's young for his league, his power has yet to develop (0 HRs, after just two last season in the Midwest League).
    -- David Schoenfield, ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0627/1399893.html
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy
    Many of you may already know this, but I was looking at a couple old BA Prospect Handbooks, and they were raving about this guy. Said he was a 5-tool guy in the mold of Barry Larkin or Derek Jeter. Said he was fast, had good range, a cannon arm, very quick hands, and developing power. He was the top prospect with Montreal and Cleveland for 2 straight years.

In 2002 at age 21, he hit .302 for AA and AAA. He hit 18 hrs. He was rushed big-time in 2003 to the majors. He had a rough year. Said pitchers found a hole in his swing. The next year in AAA, he hit .296 with 44 BB's and 56 SO's in 551 AB's. He made big improvements in his swing that year.

Apparently, his cockiness annoys opponents. He is a great teammate and has a tremendous attitude during even the tough times and always plays great defense.

By all accounts, this was a great sign. He could very well be a Felipe Lopez this year. Tons of talent and the intangibles!!!
    If the Phillips signing is an indication of what Wayne Krivsky will bring to this ballclub, then this team is well on its way back to success...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    The poster is new. Perhaps he didn't read/scan all the threads before posting or perhaps he didn't know there was an unwritten rule against starting a second thread on similar topics (BP Fan Club vs BP).... actually, I didn't know that either.

I do know I read this one, but never even opened the other one.

Peace.
    I had already apologized to him last night for perhaps being too snippy. I explained that it was late, and I was cranky about something else. No hard feelings. Thanks for the contribution Red Daddy!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?