Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milton's hurt and a dl move would have to be made to call up Gosling.

Milton's hurt and a dl move would have to be made to call up Gosling.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    Milton's hurt

MILWAUKEE -- Eric Milton has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow with "discomfort" in his left knee. He's on his way back to Cincinnati to be examined by Dr. Kremchek. Aaron Harang will come back early to start tomorrow.

Jerry Narron said the decision was made about 30 minutes before today's game. I did notice Milton hobbling around with a hefty amount of ice taped to his knee either yesterday or the day before, but that's not extremely unusual for him considering his past leg problems.

"Yesterday he was talking about it bothering him a little bit, and he was hoping he would come in today and feel pretty good, but he just didnít," said Narron.

Was it an issue in Milton's start the other day against the Marlins, by far his worst performance of the year so far?

"I donít know," said Narron. "He did not complain about it, did not make any excuse, but he did not look in his last start like he did in his first two."

Harang was approached before the game about making the Sunday start and said he could do it. He threw 85 pitches Wednesday against the Marlins.

"Iíve come back a couple times before in the minor leagues on three daysí rest," Harang said. "I feel good this week. Iím not worried about it."

Of course, bringing Harang back early leaves a hole in the rotation for Monday's series opener against the Nationals. Narron said he was "cautiously optimistic" that Milton might be able to return in time to make that start. If not, the options are limited.

Matt Belisle could give it a run, as he would be going on three days' rest from his 71-pitch relief outing here Thursday night. If the Reds make a roster move, they'd have to put somebody on the disabled list to recall Michael Gosling, who is scheduled to start tomorrow for Louisville. Monday's scheduled starter for the Bats is Darrell May, who is not on the 40-man and would have to be added.

"Weíll just see how it comes out with Milton," said Narron. "Hopefully heíll be fine and be able to pitch on Monday."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton's hurt and a dl move would have to be made to call up Gosling.

And it begins.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Well If we can DFa Womack and claim Zach Day or Bring up May and possibly Dl Milton and Bring in Gosling.

Net-net is that someone who shouldn't be pitching in the Majors, soon will be.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The good thing about having such crappy starters is that when they get hurt the fall off to their replacements isn't much of a downgrade.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I think the Reds ought to seek subrogation on DanO to pay the balance of Milton's contract.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

If Milton can't make Monday's start then he should be thrown on the DL. This sort of injury could explain why Milton's last start was so much worse than he's looked in the past month. It's also good that it's his knee. That beats an arm or shoulder injury. Best we treat it now before it becomes an arm injury. I wonder when the Lizard is due to pitch again. Supposedly he looked real good in his last start. Maybe we can patch something together in the meantime.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    The good thing about having such crappy starters is that when they get hurt the fall off to their replacements isn't much of a downgrade.
    Word is that Wayne Krivsky has already put in a call to Baseball Prospectus, asking for a loan of 5 of those "Replacement-Level Players" they keep talking about.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    It's also good that it's his knee. That beats an arm or shoulder injury.
    Well... maybe. Or maybe not. Milton has degenerative knee problems, and that's the primary reason why he's gone from a league-average innings-muncher to a guy who tosses in-game batting practice as often as not. True, if he messed up his arm or shoulder, he wouldn't be able to pitch. But if his knees don't get better, we don't really want him to pitch. Same difference.
    Not all who wander are lost

I like that law five......... and it begins. But hey, today it seemed appropriate(sp) to let all the guys that need practice in a real game situation to pitch....... why not. There wasn't any chance that the game was going to be pulled out so why not make it a practice that the pitchers would gain from. Even put in some of the players that don't get a chance to play. I'm not one to give up, and everyone here knows that, but nearly setting another record for home runs in an inning you should make a positive out of a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I think the Reds ought to seek subrogation on DanO to pay the balance of Milton's contract.
    Not the Milton we saw in his last 2-3 Spring starts and 1st couple starts this year. He was awesome! We have nothing to replace that. Hopefully he'll be ok.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Well... maybe. Or maybe not. Milton has degenerative knee problems, and that's the primary reason why he's gone from a league-average innings-muncher to a guy who tosses in-game batting practice as often as not. True, if he messed up his arm or shoulder, he wouldn't be able to pitch. But if his knees don't get better, we don't really want him to pitch. Same difference.
    Agreed, I'd actually feel better if it wasn't the knee.

Not a lot down in AAA that fills me with hope.
    Go Gators!

Seems to me as it isn't wishful thinking, but just being stupid if Milton can't pitch tomorrow, but you think he will be able to Monday.

It sounds like Milton needs to go straight to the DL. With the short performances turned in by Reds starters in the past week, other than the Great Arroyo, the already shaky and ancient bullpen is going to be overworked by the end of April. A little long-term planning by the front office would help here in the form of a timely promotion or acquisition to help buy some innings. Even a short-term promotion to spot start wouldn't be a bad option if a player in the minors qualified. That's how Claussen got his first and only start with the Yankees. I don't see a big plus by moving the other guys in the rotation up one day. They didn't fare well or go deep last week on full rest. Short rest will not improve matters. I'm hoping the team finds a solution in the next 2 days. I'm going to the game on Monday in DC, and I don't want to watch Williams go up against Livan Hernandez on short rest. After his last 2 starts, I may not want to watch Williams at all at this point.

Straight to the DL?

Why don't we wait until someone who is qualified in diagnosis does so?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?