Turn Off Ads?

Thread: LaVar off the market

LaVar off the market

Well maybe not for the ladies in NYC, just for the Bengals and everyone else.

Signed a 7-year/49 million dollar contract with the Giants.

Wonder if this is a sign of things to come in what this new labor agreement will mean between what big market teams can afford as opposed to small market??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LaVar off the market

I'm glad the Bengals didn't compete with that offer. It would have been nice to get him in Cincinnati, but that is too much money. He's good, not THAT good.

He may turn out to be worth it, but if the Bengals had signed him for that they wouldn't be resigning Levi or Steinbach and definitely not Willie (I doubt he stays around anyway). I would rather keep the O-line mostly together and stick with Simmons, Thurman and Pollack, which is a pretty good set of linebackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan
    He may turn out to be worth it, but if the Bengals had signed him for that they wouldn't be resigning Levi or Steinbach and definitely not Willie (I doubt he stays around anyway). I would rather keep the O-line mostly together and stick with Simmons, Thurman and Pollack, which is a pretty good set of linebackers.
    I have a feeling Marvin will add one through the draft. I've heard he is high on Thomas Howard from UTEP, and after a TE in the first round, I wouldnt be surprised if he is our second round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    He's good, not THAT good.
    Agreed, his time in Washington make me leery that the Jags were supposedly after him.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I have a feeling Marvin will add one through the draft. I've heard he is high on Thomas Howard from UTEP, and after a TE in the first round, I wouldnt be surprised if he is our second round pick.
    I don't see them taking a TE in the first round. There is quite a bit of depth at that position and I could see them landing Byrd, Fasano or Klopfenstein in the second round. My guess is they take a CB in the first, probably Hill, Cromartie or Youboty

I want another DT.

I'd be happy with a DB.

Depends on who's on the board.

I'm glad to see that this guy is in the NFC. WOW that is a big contract for a guy that was in Washington's dog house. In years 1-3 there's an outside chance he'll be worth that kind of money. In years 4-7, there isn't a snowball's chance. Right now, he's 27 years old and, IMHO, he hasn't warranted that kind of money at all. This guy has been riding his out of this world reputation and potential for all it's worth. More power to him.

I think this might be a sign of things to come under the new CBA. We are going to see some similarities to what has happened in baseball. The big market Giants can afford to ink a contract that is 3 years of return, and 4 years of dead money. Smaller market teams won't be able to afford that. In a sense, I respect what the Bengals have been doing. They are taking the smart approach. They won't be able to absorb that dead money down the road, so they're signing guys to front loaded contracts. They are spending all that they're allowed under the salary cap, but doing it in a way that won't mortgage the future.

All said, I'm glad we didn't sign Arrington. It would have made a big splash with the fan base and the media. I don't think it would have made that big of a splash on the field. Marvin can draft guys with the best of them. Right now, the Bengals are a lot like the Reds. A ton of offense, but too many holes on everything else. If we put all that money towards Arrington, he may patch one hole, but the rest are still there. I'd rather let Marvin fix a lot of holes in a cost effective manner: smart drafting. That's how teams go from a flash in the pan to a true dynasty type of organization.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

It's likely that Arrington's deal is puffed up in parts so that he doesn't feel so bad about missing out on the big money tossed around earlier in the free agent period. My guess is that it's really more like a four year deal worth about five or six million annually with plenty of performance bonuses mixed in. Details probably won't come out for a few days, but the telling part will be how much he is actually guaranteed. I can't imagine that this deal is all that beneficial to Arrington considering the leverage the Giants had with all the quality LBers that will be available come Saturday. Chances are they got themselves a pretty good deal.

The good news about this signing if you're a fan of a team in need of linebackers is the fact that one less team will be looking to take a linebacker early on in the draft, as most projections had the Giants looking at a guy like Bobby Carpenter with their first round pick. Still could go LB, but I have to think this deal makes them considerably less likely to do so.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan
    I don't see them taking a TE in the first round. There is quite a bit of depth at that position and I could see them landing Byrd, Fasano or Klopfenstein in the second round. My guess is they take a CB in the first, probably Hill, Cromartie or Youboty
    Actually, that is what ESPN Insider was reporting that the Bengals were looking TE first round. I don't have it, just saw it front page that the Bengals and Broncos were going TE.

I honestly think it will be best player available.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Actually, that is what ESPN Insider was reporting that the Bengals were looking TE first round. I don't have it, just saw it front page that the Bengals and Broncos were going TE.

I honestly think it will be best player available.

Yeah, I saw that too, but unless Vernon Davis were to magically drop to us, then I don't see a TE being the best available player. I don't think Mercedes Lewis is that much better than the TE's projected in the first few rounds.

I wouldn't mind a DT either, but only if Bunkley or Ngata were to fall, which is not real likely. I am just guessing that the best player available in a position of need for the Bengals will be a DB.

I wonder... if they got a guy they fell in love with, would/could he supplant Tory James in this first season?

Tory really has lost a couple steps at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I'm glad the Bengals didn't compete with that offer. It would have been nice to get him in Cincinnati, but that is too much money. He's good, not THAT good.
    Its mostly incentives - he can only make that much money if he's on the field and producing. The signing bonus was only 5.4. Its a great deal for the Giants - and for LaVar. If he plays up to his talent both sides will be extremely happy, if he gets hurt or something like that then the Giants are off the hook.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Its mostly incentives - he can only make that much money if he's on the field and producing. The signing bonus was only 5.4. Its a great deal for the Giants - and for LaVar. If he plays up to his talent both sides will be extremely happy, if he gets hurt or something like that then the Giants are off the hook.
    They'll still suck.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    They'll still suck.
    Mocker.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?