Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Buchholz - Astros

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Taylor Buchholz - Astros

not a bad 2nd major league start

8.2IP [corrected], 2 hits, zero walks, O runs

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxsco...&date=20060422
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 04-22-2006 at 11:30 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Taylor Buchholz - Astros

Just a little minor correction - he failed to get the complete game. He gave up a two out single to Jack Wilson, prompting Phil Garner to bring Brad Lidge in to face Jason Bay and strike him out looking on a 3-2 fastball.

Buchholz looked pretty good; he's not an overpowering pitcher but he's does a solid job of spotting his pitches and changing speeds. His stuff and minor league stats suggest he could be a solid 4 starter in the major leagues.

I'm starting to think the Astros could win this division. The offense is as good, if not better than the Cardinals offense; the pitching staff isn't as good as the Cardinal staff, however, that could change if Roger Clemens decides to return to Houston.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-01-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine

I'm starting to think the Astros could win this division. The offense is as good, if not better than the Cardinals offense; the pitching staff isn't as good as the Cardinal staff, however, that could change if Roger Clemens decides to return to Houston.
    Now who would've seen that coming?

The Astros are the Atlanta Braves of the Central: they just find ways to get it done. I predict that they run away with the division (Buchholz and Wandy upgrade the back end of the rotation much better than Backe).
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 04-22-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Astros must just have the Pirates number.

Remember -- They were playing the Pirates.

The Astros offense is probably going to have a correction soon, a 8-9 game losing streak wouldn't surprise me with their weaker pitching, that means decline............

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    The Astros must just have the Pirates number.

Remember -- They were playing the Pirates.

And the Brewers, and the Nats, and the Giants...

(I had Buchholz tagged preseason as the ROY--I think I'll stick with that prediction).
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 04-22-2006 at 10:08 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Ex-Tree

The Pirates are just a miserable team so far, it just seems incomprehensible to hit so poorly in the Juice Box.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    The Astros offense is probably going to have a correction soon, a 8-9 game losing streak wouldn't surprise me with their weaker pitching, that means decline............
    Maybe, but if MVP voting were conducted today, there would be three names and three names only on the ballot: Berkman (my MVP pick, btw), Ensberg, Pujols.

On Base.... Taylor Buchholz throws a 94-95 MPH fastball and has a great curve. He has 4 pitches and can be overpowering. He has control now and thats why he is with the big club. He has Roy Oswalt type stuff. He is an extreme groundball pitcher and that is a good thing in MMP.

Please dont make it sound like he is a soft tosser who needs to nibble at corners. He is a power pitcher.

Their is nothing wrong with the Pirates offense. They arent great, but they can hit.

Aronchis....The Astros wont be going on any 8-9 game losing streaks.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Maybe, but if MVP voting were conducted today, there would be three names and three names only on the ballot: Berkman (my MVP pick, btw), Ensberg, Pujols.
    For hitters, yes.

But there are a number of pitchers who, if you extrapolate their stats, are going about 32-0 with low ERA's.

What's good for the hitters.....

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuddy
    On Base.... Taylor Buchholz throws a 94-95 MPH fastball and has a great curve. He has 4 pitches and can be overpowering. He has control now and thats why he is with the big club. He has Roy Oswalt type stuff. He is an extreme groundball pitcher and that is a good thing in MMP.

Please dont make it sound like he is a soft tosser who needs to nibble at corners. He is a power pitcher.

Their is nothing wrong with the Pirates offense. They arent great, but they can hit.

Aronchis....The Astros wont be going on any 8-9 game losing streaks.
    I never said he was a soft tosser, I complimented him on his ability to throw strikes and mix in a good breaking pitch. He does not throw four pitches as you said. He throws three pitches, two of which are very good(fastball and curveball) and an average changeup.

Astrobuddy, please don't sit here and compare Taylor Buchholz to a bonafide ace like Roy Oswalt. Buchholz has a career minor league ERA of 3.85, 1.27 WHIP, 8.75 H/9, and a 6.93 K/9. Those are no where near ace caliber numbers, more in the mold of a No. 4 starter. For reference, here is what Oswalt did in the minors: 3.13 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 8.05 H/9, and a 9.11 K/9.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-01-2006 at 09:07 AM.

I didnt compare.... I said he had Roy Oswalt type stuff. Buchholz has a great curve though. Scouts think it could be top 5 in MLB.

I do however stand corrected on the pitches. You are correct he has 3 pitches.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    The offense is as good, if not better than the Cardinals offense; the pitching staff isn't as good as the Cardinal staff, however, that could change if Roger Clemens decides to return to Houston.
    I think it's arguable that the Cards pitching is better.

I would think Oswalt and Petitte are pretty much even with Carpenter and Mulder with the Cards having a little edge there. After that, the Cards have a bunch of Reds-esque pitchers in Suppan, Marquis and Ponson while the Astros have younger guys with much more upside. Take your pick. Lidge, Qualls, Wheeler and Co. are better than the Cards bullpen IMO. If Clemens comes back, they're definitely better.

From my memory, which isn't always that good, Buchholz was inconsistent in the minors ... at least the year he was with the Zephyrs (AAA) in 2004. Some games he was virtually unhittable, and others he was all over the place. He gave up runs in bunches.

Sandy, he had control issues. The team says he has worked those out and so far this season there is nothing to dispute that.

He has a 0.85 WHIP

Oswalt and Pettitte are better than Carpenter and Mulder IMHO. I think the Astros are also a better overall team and the team to beat. It actually wouldnt surprise me to see the Cards finish at .500 or so and 10 games out. The Cards pitching is deep, but it isnt dominant when you get passed past Carpenter. The Cards offense aint what it once was either. Teams are going to figure out they can pitch around Pujols. Then who do the Cards have that can really hurt you? Scott Rolen is not what he once was either. While he is still a very very good 3rd baseman, he aint hitting the ball they way he was pre-injury. The Cards offense shouldnt be scary to anyone anymore.
    Last edited by Astrobuddy; 04-23-2006 at 10:47 AM.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Turn Off Ads?