Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mayo and Walker show could be over

Re: Mayo and Walker show could be over

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Welcome to the world of AAU basketball. Sonny Vaccaro didn't get the nickname "The Godfather" because he's an upstanding fellow.
    I was referring to the suspension more than anything. We hear rumors NCH could be losing their meal tick and then all of a sudden he's suspended for an altercation. If this altercation actually took place and O.J. had not made any noises about going to Oak Hill, you really think NCH would suspend him?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I was referring to the suspension more than anything. We hear rumors NCH could be losing their meal tick and then all of a sudden he's suspended for an altercation. If this altercation actually took place and O.J. had not made any noises about going to Oak Hill, you really think NCH would suspend him?
    The thought is sickening... but we all know better. I cannot say NCH is guilty of anything. But we know these things happen in the real world. Whether it is a 14-year-old posing as a 12-year-old (Little League WS) or HS incidents like this. And the only ones who suffer in the end are the kids themselves. Too bad the "big-shot" coaches do not get it or do not care about it.

Makes ya wonder if good ol' Maurice Clarett ever got away with "stuff" while in HS... and look where he is today.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    My guess is that Mayo knew this school action was looming and was exploring his options since he knew he was screwed at NCH.

This all reminds me of Dwight Anderson from Dayton Roth in the late 70's. Probably the most talented HS player I ever saw but was pampered from the work go and eventually screwed up his career. IIRC, he went to Kentucky, transferred to USC because of shenanigans, got drafted by the NBA, and had a short pro career. He was a head case at every stop.

Pay attention to the open sky

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I cannot say NCH is guilty of anything.
    This was posted on Bluegrass Preps. I hope it explains everything.

Walker was last enrolled at Rose Hill as a 9th grader(OJ was in the 8th). He wanted to enroll as an 8th grader but the 8th grade class was full. During the course of the year, Walker continued to express the desire to be held back to the 8th grade(presumably it had something to do with playing on the same AAU team as OJ) but the Rose Hill administration stood by their position that the 8th grade class was full(I believe there was a waiting list at the time for other students wanting to enroll who were on the waiting list before Walker enrolled if memory serves correct). Once Walker realized he couldn't be held back, he then transferred to Cincinnati immediately prior to the All A Tournament in Richmond.
    Shortly after the Kentucky high school tournament, Mayo followed. The moves were speculated all season long, except it was Winton Woods, Moeller, or Princeton that was speculated. Nobody even thought of NCH.

That being said, was there a legitimate reason to move Walker back a grade?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    My guess is that Mayo knew this school action was looming and was exploring his options since he knew he was screwed at NCH.
    That about sums it up IMO.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    That about sums it up IMO.
    Agree, he knew he was getting the boot and decided to move before the news became public.

Ahhhh, the Allen Iverson treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Mayo may not miss the season after all.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...0301/604260377

North College Hill threw a party for its Division III state title-winning basketball team Tuesday night, but star player O.J. Mayo, one of the best high school basketball players in the country, did not attend.

According to Bill Walker, a member of the North College Hill team, Mayo has been suspended from school as a result of getting into a fight.

The suspension was confirmed by two NCH sources and a member of the NCH school board.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The sources would not say whether the length of Mayo's suspension has been established. A local TV station reported Monday that Mayo had been suspended for 180 days. That figure, the sources said, is not accurate.

Walker also said the 180-day figure is incorrect.

"He (Mayo) got into a fight and got suspended for 10 days," Walker said. "It wasn't 180 days. I don't know where that came from."

NCH superintendent Gary Gellert and principal Kelly Hughes both said the school cannot comment on student disciplinary matters.

Gellert, Hughes and several other school officials, including athletic director Joe Nickel and head coach Jamie Mahaffey, repeatedly have declined to answer questions about Mayo.

Walker said he expected Mayo back in school before the end of the school year.

As for next season, Mayo is considering a transfer to Oak Hill Academy (Va.). Oak Hill officials are aware of his suspension at NCH and indicated it could impact whether Mayo might be accepted to Oak Hill.

Walker, a junior whose eligibility for next season is under review by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, also stayed away from Tuesday night's celebration.

Nickel would not comment on Mayo, but said Walker stayed home Tuesday night after a reporter had interviewed Walker at school earlier.

"Bill did not come tonight because he knew there would be reporters here, and he said he's tired of dealing with the media," Nickel said.

Tuesday's event, held in the NCH gymnasium, was attended by about 150 NCH fans and was hosted by North College Hill mayor Dan Brooks.

"I don't know the details, but I know (Mayo) is suspended," Brooks said, just before the rally began. "I think there is a lot of misinformation out there about what is going on, but tonight we're here to celebrate the team."

And celebrate they did. Ten NCH players took the basketball court Tuesday night to cheers from the crowd. Chairs were arranged on the basketball court for the players and coaches and cheerleaders. Brooks and NCH City Council members also were seated at chairs on the court.

Several awards and trophies were presented, and the Trojans' 2006 state title trophy - won last month - had a place of honor on a table at midcourt. Brooks and council also passed an ordinance that renamed Kumler Avenue - which runs off Galbraith Road to the high school - as "Trojan Way."

Brooks also referred to the intense media scrutiny NCH's team has received.

The Trojans finished No. 3 nationally in the USA Today poll but are under a national media microscope, with a season of injuries, illnesses and transfer rumors.

"You shouldn't apologize for being good," Brooks said, addressing NCH players as the crowd listened Tuesday. "Be proud of it ... I'm proud of you, and the North College Hill is proud of you."

Mayo and Walker were not the only players who did not show. Starting point guard Damon Butler (ill) and regular forward Andre Evans also were not there, although Evans' mother accepted some awards for her son.

Paul Leary, a senior forward, said the scene was a bit odd without junior superstars Mayo and Walker.

"It's strange that O.J. isn't here," Leary said. "He's always at the big events, right in the middle of things. I don't know what's going on."

Mayo this season won his second consecutive Ohio Mr. Basketball award. He has averaged between 27 and 30 points each of his three seasons at NCH, and is widely rated the No. 1 high school junior player in America.

Walker is generally rated among the top five juniors by most scouts, and this year he averaged 21.7 points while sharing Ohio Division III Player of the Year honors with Mayo. Mayo this year also repeated as a first-team USA Today All-American.

E-mail tgroeschen@enquirer.com, ddow@enquirer.com

/\ Sounds like damage control
    Go Gators!

Retired

I still think OJ is done at NCH. Huggins probably wants him out of Cincy, away from Cronin and his shoe company friends. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want UC to take a chance on this guy, all his friends would be here and who knows what kind of trouble he'd get into. I think this is his third (that we know of) suspension from school in the last 2 or 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I still think OJ is done at NCH. Huggins probably wants him out of Cincy, away from Cronin and his shoe company friends. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want UC to take a chance on this guy, all his friends would be here and who knows what kind of trouble he'd get into. I think this is his third (that we know of) suspension from school in the last 2 or 3 years.
    I agree with that statement 100%, although I think UC has virtually no shot of getting him.

I had heard when Mayo played at Rose Hill that the reason he was there was because his mother thought Bill Walker was a bad influence on OJ. Don't know if that is true or not, but it makes for discussion.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I agree with that statement 100%, although I think UC has virtually no shot of getting him.

I had heard when Mayo played at Rose Hill that the reason he was there was because his mother thought Bill Walker was a bad influence on OJ. Don't know if that is true or not, but it makes for discussion.
    I don't think they have a shot at Walker, but I'm not sure about OJ. He seems to have a soft spot for Cincy and mentioned a couple times that UC deserves to have a good program again. He's always on campus too playing pickup games on the courts by the shoe.

How about the Beliein/NC State thing? Man, NC State has become the biggest joke in college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    What ever happened to the lady he hit over the head with a chair at the bowling alley? Why don't we ever hear about her?
    Sounds like a typical Huggins recruit.

And yes I am a big UC fan.

Well, looks like OJ wont be playing for Oak Hill anytime soon. Kudos to Steve Smith and OHA on this one.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...12012/1062/SPT

Oak Hill turns down Mayo
    School recently learned of star's suspension
    BY TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

O.J. Mayo, one of the top high school basketball players in the nation, will not be transferring to Oak Hill Academy (Va.) for his senior season, and it remains unclear if he will return to North College Hill.

According to a source, Mayo and those surrounding him, have been told by Oak Hill that the school will not accept him for the 2006-07 season. The source told The Enquirer today that, at the time Mayo visited Oak Hill last week, the school was not aware that Mayo had been suspended by North College Hill.

The source said Oak Hill asked Mayo, during his visit, if he needed to tell them anything more about himself. Mayo did not volunteer details of his suspension to Oak Hill, and Oak Hill officials were displeased to learn two days later of Mayo’s suspension.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Therefore, Oak Hill has since told Mayo that the school is no longer an option for him. Oak Hill reportedly wanted to make sure Mayo was not in any more trouble, having known of another reported suspension for fighting before the 2005-06 basketball season, and also of the highly publicized one-game suspension at this year’s state semifinals for missing some school classes.

Oak Hill Academy coach Steve Smith would not comment today when the Enquirer asked about Mayo.

Joe Nickel, NCH athletic director, said Mayo is still enrolled at the school but Nickel said the school is not releasing any information about Mayo or any other student, citing rules regarding students’ privacy.

The source also said Mayo’s suspension might be more than 10 days, but far less than the 180 days another media outlet reported earlier this week.

Bill Walker, Mayo’s fellow NCH junior basketball star, told the Enquirer this week that Mayo had been suspended 10 days for a fight at school.

Mayo has been unavailable for comment.
    Dwaine Barnes, Mayo’s legal guardian and AAU coach, has not returned repeated phone messages from the Enquirer in recent weeks.

Oak Hill is a perennial national power, with 17 former players drafted by the NBA in the past 20 years. With a record of 40-1, it finished No. 2 in the USA Today boys’ basketball ratings this season. North College Hill (26-1) finished No. 3, losing only to Oak Hill 88-74 in February at US Bank Arena.

NCH has won two consecutive Ohio Division III championships led by Mayo, who repeated this season as Ohio Mr. Basketball. Mayo, a 6-foot-4 guard, has averaged between 27 and 30 points a game in each of his three varsity seasons at NCH.

Mayo, the No. 1 rated junior by most scouting services, is scheduled to be in Akron tonight , playing for the AAU D-I Greyhounds in the King James Shooting Stars Classic.

I wouldn't want "my program" touching either of these guys. Admittedly I have seen little of them except some of the televised state tourney action on ONN, but the bits I saw, Walker lived up to the talk about him being (for lack of a softer phrase) a punk. OJ did look pretty good, but it was hard for me to discern in those limited viewings, anything that would make me want to put up with waht seems to come along with him. Hopefully they both can get their acts straightened out by someone somewhere.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?