Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite batting .500 with 2 HR and 9 RBI, Cody Ross DFA'd by Dodgers

Despite batting .500 with 2 HR and 9 RBI, Cody Ross DFA'd by Dodgers

Apr 17 Losangeles.Dodgers.MLB.com is reporting Los Angeles Dodgers OF Cody Ross was designated for assignment Monday, April 17, despite a 7-for-14 performance this year at the plate. "This hasn't been very much fun, I've got to be honest with you," Ross said as he cleared out his locker. "The times I've gotten in there I've done well, so you hope other teams noticed." The team has 10 days to trade Ross or put him through waivers; it is believed a trade will be worked out with another team because the Dodgers believe Ross will be claimed by someone on waivers.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Despite batting .500 with 2 HR and 9 RBI, Cody Ross DFA'd by Dodgers

Too bad he isn't a catcher or a second baseman cause we sure could use another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Kenny Lofton coming off the DL looks to be the primary culprit. Cody was dragging the team's average age too far down and had to go.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The kid just needs a chance to play, he looked pretty polished the year before last when I got the chance to watch him play in Toledo. He'll catch on somewhere and turn into a solid MLer.
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

I saw him play in Toledo too. Have you seen Toledo's roster? They have Lance Davis, David Espinosa, and Hector Mercado. Ross was a good player there, and they even had a bobblehead night for him.

We should swap the Dodgers Womack for Cody. It would solve two problems at once: What to do with our current glut of middle-infielders and how to beef up our OF until Denorfia gets the call.

Cody can rake. He'd already be a ML regular except for a series of freak accidents that shut him down most of the 2004 season.

A side benefit to Cody joining the roster: He could pal around with Claussen. Cody was attending high school in Portales and Carlsbad, New Mexico, the same time Claussen was at Roswell Goddard. I'm sure they were prep school opponents, if not friends.

Adding Cody Ross could get confusing for Narron, though, with David Ross on the squad. But the outlook for the bench would certainly look Ross-ier.

Would the Dodgers want Womack? Worth broaching, if you ask me.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    Would the Dodgers want Womack?
    Your plan was going so well until that.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

LA is old school, so they might. Who knows.

Heck, I'd be willing to cut or waive a guy like McCracken for a solid young DFA replacement like Ross. No problem there either. Although Womack would definitely be the first choice.

Hey I'm all for adding young talent especially if it can be had for an expendable part like McCracken, Womack or a reliever.

You never know, if he develops maybe you can flip him for something even more useful or maybe he makes it possible to move someone else. Is he someone who could play some 1B if Dunn or KGJ aren't wiiling to move?

With the lack of upper level talent in the Reds system I think you have to be creative in adding young talent and turning over periphreal pieces - even if it means someone with options like Deno has to stay @ AAA little longer than he normally would.

They need an approach like tha guy on the internet who started out with a red paper clip and has bartered his way up to a year rent-free in a decent apartment. (He's shooting for a house)
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-18-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Can he play 1B? Most OF'ers try, I would make the adjustment. Better than Hat and Richie

Something cooking? The Reds could be close to executing another trade. Reports out of Los Angeles said Cincinnati was close to a deal where it would acquire outfielder Cody Ross from the Dodgers. It's not known yet who Cincinnati would be giving up in return. Despite batting .500 (7-for-14) with two homers and nine RBIs in eight games, Ross was designated for assignment on April 17 in a roster crunch and Los Angeles has 10 days to trade or release him before it would have to expose him to the waiver wire.

Krivsky would not confirm that any deal has been made.

"If I had something to announce, we would announce it," Krivsky said from Cincinnati. "I can't comment on another club's player."

If the Reds were to acquire Ross, who is out of options, they would have to make room on their 25-man roster. In 28 big-league games with the Dodgers and Detroit from 2003-06, Ross has hit .259 with three homers and 15 RBIs.

According to MLB.com maybe a second baseman is going out west

Where and when would he play?

I guess he would have played today instead of Crack.

Could he be aquired, then packaged with someone else in a bigger deal? Because right now there isn't anyplace for him to play.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Could he be aquired, then packaged with someone else in a bigger deal? Because right now there isn't anyplace for him to play.
    Especially when Junior comes back.

Maybe they will throw in Penny, too.

Turn Off Ads?